PDA

View Full Version : Bad VIN Number

ToyMan
03-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Prevost put an incorrect VIN number behind the windshield. They are going to correct it but I would like to know if there are any other VIN numbers buried in the bowels of my coach. If so, I need to check them so I can notify Prevost Cars about any other bad plates.

The check sum digit (9th number in the VIN number) should have been a 9 but the plate maker inverted the 9 so I have a 6.

Below are the boring details of how to compute the check sum digit.

Here's how you calculate it:

Firstly, find the numerical value associated with each letter in the VIN. (I, O and Q are not allowed.) Digits use their own values.

A=1 B=2 C=3 D=4 E=5 F=6 G=7 H=8
J=1 K=2 L=3 M=4 N=5 P=7 R=9
S=2 T=3 U=4 V=5 W=6 X=7 Y=8 Z=9

Secondly, look up the weight factor for each position in the VIN except the 9th (the position of the check digit).

1st=8 2nd=7 3rd=6 4th=5 5th=4 6th=3 7th=2
8th=10 10th=9 11th=8 12th=7 13th=6 14th=5 15th=4 16th=3 17th=2

Thirdly, multiply the numbers and the numerical values of the letters by their assigned weight factor, and sum the resulting products. Divide the sum of the products by 11. The remainder is the calculated check

Ray Davis
03-01-2010, 09:35 PM
Quite often there is another VIN number plate back in the engine compartment on the outside of the electrical box. Might have the same mistake, though.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-02-2010, 07:45 AM
The axle and gross weight plate next to the driver's seat may also have the VIN. I'm guessing and too lazy to go look.

My concern would be the title and registration, and then I would look at my insurance policy to be sure they were all OK.

flyu2there
03-02-2010, 08:09 AM
So I guess what I am reading here is that the VIN number on the windshield is different than on the title? Strange indeed because of the age of the coach I am quite sure that it has been through an inspection or two where some "official" verify's that number. I would start poking around looking for front end damage.

Careful not to open Pandorra's box, changing VIN numbers on an older vehicle can open all manner of hell.