PDA

View Full Version : Keep it on or take it off

ToyMan
02-28-2010, 04:22 PM
The previous owner of my coach put a 24K gold leaf decal on the side of my bus. I am 50/50 on keeping it or removing. What do you think?

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6217&stc=1&d=1267391510

Jerry Winchester
02-28-2010, 05:03 PM
I'm so not a fan of having things written on a coach that my opinion probably doesn't count. Rarely can they be done and not look presumptuous. I'm more of a clean, running below the radar kind of guy.

garyde
02-28-2010, 05:45 PM
While I enjoy everything about my coach, I don't enjoy all of the attention it brings at times. Certainly, gold leaf lettering which screams 'look, I'm special' is a specific statement which I could live without.

michaeldterry
02-28-2010, 06:02 PM
The previous owner of my coach put a 24K gold leaf decal on the side of my bus. I am 50/50 on keeping it or removing. What do you think?

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6217&stc=1&d=1267391510

Ron - do what feels right for you! This is definitely an issue of personal preference. While I would usually agree with JDUB's opinion on a "clean" look on a coach - we had the name we gave our bus (Evangeline) lettered on her rear xap and smaller on each side (behind the entry door and driver side window position) and we like the look. So - "different strokes for different folks" and all that. The only people who have to be happy with the look of your coach are you and Suzie - so suit yourself and don't give another thought to what anyone else thinks about your choice! :)

Link to photo of bus name on Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaeldterry/4396535890/in/set-72157623404421385/)

Orren Zook
02-28-2010, 06:56 PM
I've tried it both ways, and agree with Gary and Jerry - take it off.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-28-2010, 07:33 PM
I think you know what you have, why would you want to tell anyone else?

Jon Wehrenberg
02-28-2010, 07:40 PM
When we had our first coach it was popular to either name the coach or put a phrase on it. Our coach was "Classy Chassis", Orren's 40 foot Liberty was "Roamin' Holiday", one coach had "My Way" probably in reference to the song Sinatra sang.

Some were disgusting. A coach we saw at the now defunct American Coach in Allen MI had "Screaming Orgasm" on the front cap in letters about 12" high.

Most were cute or tasteful, but like hairstyles (for those blessed with hair) styles change. We now like and want anonymity and if you have a label or name on the coach it invites either conversations with truckers or contempt. Today there is a serious mental gap between the "have's" and the "have nots" probably due to politicians blaming problems on the rich so my vote is to remove all graphics.

pwf252
03-01-2010, 09:05 AM
Well, if you leave it on you will probably have fewer people asking the question I get alot "who you driving for". Like Dangerfield I get no respect. My standard reply is a pretty blonde but contractually we're not allowed to say.:D And as a plus if my wife hears me say it I get brownie points!!!

rahangman
03-01-2010, 12:21 PM
We looked at My Way in Detroit just before we bought our present unit. It was owned at that time by a person who's father had been the GMC Bus & Truck Service Director and was in really nice condition, kept in really nice barn which was outfitted, I would opine, similarly to your's as you describe it. It is currently owned by a POG , Rod Burton if I am not mistaken.

flyu2there
03-02-2010, 07:55 AM
I looked at Tim Allen's coach a few years back, it had the only clever marking on it that I have seen. Next to the Prevost plate on the rear doors was a cast "Binford 2300" sign. I suspect that one in ten thousand could put that together. Other than that, the coach was very understated, I like that............

MangoMike
03-02-2010, 09:15 AM
I'm more of a clean, running below the radar kind of guy.

Funniest thing I've read in a long time.

HarborBus
03-02-2010, 12:34 PM
This will be the next poll

LarryB
03-02-2010, 02:14 PM
Elliott, this isn't Steve's latest endever there in Yuma is it? Thought I could see a Segway on the other side of the bus.[just kidding]

sticks
03-03-2010, 07:55 PM
OK, what's binford 2300? Secondly, for those who like less graphics and want to fly under the radar, you ought to see Bret Favres' new H3. It is solid pearl white with no graphics what so ever. Sticks out like a sore thumb and looks like a fraction of what the coach must cost.

truk4u
03-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Sticks,

I saw it setting at Liberty and thought it was a commercial transit bus waiting for paint and/or graphics until they told us it was Favre's.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Until motorhome conversions based on a Prevost chassis became commonplace it was routine to hear truckers ask "Who's on board?" or if it was a "star" coach.

Now it is rare because even newly licensed truckers seem capable of figuring out if it has awnings or a toad it is a private motorhome. What Favre may not realize is he is driving a coach that looks like an entertainer's and unless he enjoys the attention, he would actually get less if he had a motorhome paint job.

michaeldterry
03-04-2010, 12:03 PM
OK, what's binford 2300? Secondly, for those who like less graphics and want to fly under the radar, you ought to see Bret Favres' new H3. It is solid pearl white with no graphics what so ever. Sticks out like a sore thumb and looks like a fraction of what the coach must cost.

"Binford" is the name of the mythical tool company that was the sponsor of "Tool Time", Tim Allen's home improvement show that he hosted on the long running sitcom "Home Improvement." Basically, anytime you saw a power tool or souped up gadget on the show, it was inevitably a "Binford 23xx" (insert any random number as the model).

truk4u
03-04-2010, 08:27 PM
Michael,

You haven't been to the Tool Man Keller's shop, Binford is alive and well!:rolleyes:

sticks
03-05-2010, 12:03 AM
thanks, I'm now binford wise.

Will Garner
03-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Alright, here is my two cents worth. Carole and I have an "old" 1990 paint job (I think). We have been considering how to do a "new" paint job. Needless to say this involves discussing graphics. Both of us grew up in large metropolitan areas of the US. Now we are basically small townies. Our conclusion was any graphics would have to be kept simple as we really don't want the attention. Right now we are down to a two tone job but still have to find something to do in the large blank space between the last living room window and the bedroom window on the drivers side. We have not solved that issue yet. The curb side has a much smaller blank space since there is the galley window.

In all our discussions the olny thing Carole specifically stated she would like is a "Private Coach" plaque beside the entry door. I might put one on the drivers side just so toll booth workers don't have to ask if its a commercial bus.

In my opinion, "Luxury in Motion" is rather gaudy, self serving, and really high handed. It also might attract "Lot Lizards" to your front door.

Having said all that, I vote to remove it. Maybe that was more than two cents worth!

Jon Wehrenberg
03-05-2010, 11:35 AM
While some paint jobs are true works of art such as on newer coaches with multi colors, textures in the paint, shading, etc. they are not us.

I always like Ray's red CC. If I ever have to get my coach painted I almost think it will be a solid color we both like along with a rebuff of the stainless to make it shine like new.

Ray Davis
03-05-2010, 12:04 PM
I always like Ray's red CC

Me too! It was beautiful in it's simplicity! When I first purchased it however, it had gold-leaf lettering on both sides and rear cap reading "Bucky Austin Racing".

There were also gold-leaf stripes on all 4 sides. I left a couple on the front cap.

A lot of time with a heat gun, goo-be-gone and we got it clean ....

Ray

Jon Wehrenberg
03-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Now that is class and it doesn't require any lettering to let people know. They can see it.

michaeldterry
03-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Me too! It was beautiful in it's simplicity! When I first purchased it however, it had gold-leaf lettering on both sides and rear cap reading "Bucky Austin Racing".

There were also gold-leaf stripes on all 4 sides. I left a couple on the front cap.

A lot of time with a heat gun, goo-be-gone and we got it clean ....

Ray

I don't know Ray - that bright red looks a little "gaudy" to me! :p Just kidding - I keed, I keed! :D

It actually is quite beautiful in its simplicity! :cool:

jj628
07-15-2010, 04:26 PM
I didn't have quite the take it off/leave it on delima when I bought our bus recently--ours was decorated with 6-7 ft crosses on each side featuring smaller replica's for and aft along with bible quotations. Since the strip club/bawdy house interior of the Elegant Lady pleases me and I drink a lot of whisky, removal seemed like the best option. Regarding the contempt of some truckers and the have and have nots, I am looking for a replica of the bright green, two foot tall, mad hatter top hat with large dollar signs on the front , that my best friend used to wear on payday when he passed out checks to his construction workers. I'll just wear it for people who give me the bird. jjf BTW decals were off on the second day I owned the bus and I may have to have part of it repainted.