PDA

View Full Version : Bus air

Woody
02-27-2010, 11:04 AM
Our system has lost all 134and local tech cannot find the leak. He recommends a stop leak product (Super seal total by Cliptight) that he has used successfully on residential units.

Does anyone have experience with this type product?

Jon Wehrenberg
02-27-2010, 11:26 AM
Woody,

If your system has lost its entire charge of 134 and the tech cannot find the leak something is wrong. A slow leak is usually detectible, and a leak large enough to have exhausted the whole system is more than likely easily found.

The obvious places for leaks to occur are at the compressor seal behind the clutch (look for oil or grime), at fittings, and at old hoses that have come to the end of their service life.

Usually the presence of oil or grime from the refrigerant carrying compressor oil from the system is the obvious visual indicator of a lak. 134 is prone to leak where other freons will not due to pressure and particle size.

jack14r
02-27-2010, 03:10 PM
I have used a stop leak product in a residential unit and it worked,but it is for R22 freon.

truk4u
02-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Woody,

I would find the leak using high pressure Nitrogen and fix the problem.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-27-2010, 04:28 PM
The easiest way to find the leak is charge it with Freon and use the sniffer.

Nitrogen in the system at about 300 PSI held overnight only confirms the system is free of leaks.

I would use my nitrogen detector but the damn stuff is everywhere and I get false signals, especially from my tires. What the hell is a guy that has never owned an OTR bus doing giving advice on air conditioning?

jimblu
02-27-2010, 07:24 PM
Friends don't let friends use stop leak in a 134 system. It gunks things up and makes it much more expensive for someone who knows that they are doing to fix it properly. :)

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Friends don't let friends use stop leak in a 134 system. It gunks things up and makes it much more expensive for someone who knows that they are doing to fix it properly. :)

This is a good product to use.

http://www.refrigtech.com/Product/Leak_Detectors/Big_Blu/bigblu.html

JIM

truk4u
02-27-2010, 10:10 PM
Woody,

Don't pay any attention to Jon, he's grumpy these days and came back from FL with the crud!:(

Whether you have OTR or checking dash air, Nitrogen under pressure identifies the leaks and doesn't contaminate the system. Why piss away your money on freon? Nitrogen is the way Prevost and Parliament check for leaks and they seem to know what they are doing.