PDA

View Full Version : 6V-92 Driving style

chuckd
02-18-2010, 04:30 PM
If you saw my first post in New Members, you know I am one, and haven't picked my coach up yet. It has a 6V-92 Turbo motor, and I have been told to "drive it like you stole it", well in my car stealing years I discovered girls and never bothered to waste my time stealing, so not sure what that means.

I know you are not supposed to lug these two strokes, but what RPM is a good cruise range. At 1600 RPM the coach is going approx 62 mph. Fuel economy aside what is a good cruising speed/rpm?

What should be the top rpm on acceleration? (I have an auto so that may be academic)?

Chuckd

Stillwater MN
Volvo 770 pulling a New Horizons fifth wheel.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-18-2010, 04:48 PM
Did you get any books, manuals etc with the bus.

Drive it like you stole it means, pedal to the metal.

You should try to find the top RPM limit and stay away from it. Do a little internet searching or call a DD shop.

To sort of find one on your own put the trans in top gear and find an clear open stretch of road and run through the gears automatically, notating the shift point rpms for 1, 2, 3 and don't exceed that in 4 speed or in any down shift situation.

62 mph is a good speed.

How's the rubber on that baby?

JIM

chuckd
02-18-2010, 06:28 PM
Jim, thanks for the ideas, the tires are 3 years old, and the coach has been inside except for a few trips to Mn for vacation.

Chuckd

Volvo 770, 1979 Prevost

Jerry Winchester
02-18-2010, 08:29 PM
I would indeed drive it like you stole it. I drove a 6V-92 for several years and it had a 10 speed transmission. If you drive it around at 1600 RPM you will not like the results. I drove this one with my foot in it which was about 2100 RPM, but it was geared to run about 68 mph at that rate. However, it would run that speed up the hill or town the hill - loaded or not.

It was a good engine as the unit had a massive transfer case so it would run the pumping equipment with the road engine when rigged up on location and it hummed along for hours and never missed a beat. And I drove the crap out of it.

just2
02-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Chuck, I have a 89 8V-92. I have 250K on it. I can tell you heat is the biggest problem with the two strokes. The interesting thing that I have found out I do not worry about RPM's but rather heat. I drive by my PYRO's. Keeping the PYRO's between 900-1000 I get my best pulling performance. I some times back off the petal going up hill and find I lose less speed. Remember two strokes need air. If you have the PYRO meters try to find your best temp over a load. I think you will be surprised at the results you will find. And by the way welcome. Love to see your bus. Come to Kerrville next OCT to show it off.

Gary Moss

chuckd
02-22-2010, 07:04 AM
Gary, thanks for the pyro tip. Presently with my Volvo pulling such a light load, don't pay much attention to the temp reading.

Thanks again
Chuck
1979 35 foot Prevost
1999 770 Volvo pulling a New Horizons

just2
02-22-2010, 11:55 AM
Chuck, I pull a 24' Car hauler with a GX460 Luxes inside. Total Weight around 10K. When I started pulling the trailer with the car inside my transmission oil temp went up by 20-25 degrees. In the mountains it would jump up as high as 30-35 above normal. Had the transmission serviced and the temp drop back to what it was when I was just pulling a F150 four door truck. When the transmission was running hot it pushed up the engine temp also by about 10 degrees. So long story short you may want to find out the last time the transmission fluid was changed. And if you can't find out it can not hurt to have it changed. At the last rally in OKC we had a great seminar at United Engines and it really opened my eyes on transmission issues. The new TranSynd fluid can make a hugh difference in heat and performance.

GAry

truk4u
02-22-2010, 09:02 PM
When I talked to DD about changing to TranSynd in my 5 speed, they said not to do it and stick with Dextron. Prevost had the same advise. Maybe they have changed their tune, so I would check with them before switching over on the older tranny's.

Orren Zook
02-23-2010, 01:27 AM
I switched to Transynd on my 87 Liberty and experienced temperature drops similar to what Gary mentioned, W.W.Williams recommended changing over from Dextron to extend the service interval, the lower operating temperatures was a pleasant added bonus.

truk4u
02-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Sure would be nice to get the straight poop from Allison. If I remember correctly, DD said something about a seal problem on the HT series when converting to Transynd.

Orren - Do you have any contacts that could clarify this?

Orren Zook
02-23-2010, 12:25 PM
Sure would be nice to get the straight poop from Allison. If I remember correctly, DD said something about a seal problem on the HT series when converting to Transynd.

Orren - Do you have any contacts that could clarify this?

Tom, I had this service performed at W.W.Williams in Hubbard Ohio about 3 years ago, their number is 330-534-1161. I was having the transmission fluid and filters changed as part of scheduled maintenance and Dan (service manager at that time) recommended the conversion to transynd. It was a good 'upgrade' for me.

mike kerley
02-23-2010, 03:04 PM
I dont know how straight this poop is, but Florida Detroit suggested I stay with the original fluid unless I had high temp issues. I had my transmission fluid changed two years ago and specifically questioned them on this at the time. I stayed with what had been working. If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-26-2010, 06:49 PM
Random thoughts.....

Two stroke engines really require good coolant maintenance or the radiator tends to plug contributing to cooling issues. If the radiator is in good shape and kept that way the engine will run 180 all day long, and may get up to 195 pulling a long hill. If you do not have proof the coolant and conditioners were serviced every two years plan on a radiator replacement.

I put about 250,000 miles on our 8V92 and the sweet spot was 1800. Below that and it lugged and downshifted. In that coach it was around 62 I think.

I ignored the pyros other than to make sure they were somewhat equal and to tell me the jake was working. On the steepest hill with the engine maxed out pulling hard thay would stabilize at 1100.

The only downside to the 2 stroke engines was fuel consumption. They had a sound that was so sweet it made up for poor mileage.