PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on Kar Kaddy?

Ray Davis
09-18-2006, 04:55 PM
So while researching a towing solution, which includes not only the products, but finding someone I'd trust to potentially cut into brake lines, etc on my bus, I happened across this

http://www.demco-products.com/Pages/RV/kkss.htm

So, this is a space saving version of a tow caddy, costs $2400 from an online seller, and seems like it's ready to go, with brakes etc.

I can indeed purchase a tow bracket, have it installed on my vehicle, but I've talked to a few different places which specialize in this stuff, and they get around $500, just to install a tow bracket. That put the cost of a tow bracket at roughly $900. The cost of braking systems varied wildly, but started generally at about $1500 installed.

So, right there, I'm at $2400, and setup for one vehicle. Or, I could consider this system for the same price, and potentially use it on some other vehicle.

Technically Honday now says my car is not towable 4-wheels down, although members here indicate that is hogwash. So, that does provide a way to tow my car, without warranty issues?

Anyway, I just thought I would ask if anyone has any experience with Kar Kaddy type of products. Pro's and cons?

Thanks in advance.

Ray

win42
09-18-2006, 06:50 PM
Ray: Check around for a used Car Dolly their out there and the owners will take just about anything to get rid of them. U-haul rents them if this is a one time trip for you. Don't sweat the brakes, there is no way your Honda is going to push your Prevost around.
Harry

Ray Davis
09-18-2006, 06:54 PM
I did a quick check on Ebay, but there was only a singe unit there, and it looked pretty abused. I will keep my eyes open, however.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Ray,

There are a bunch of folks using those dollies. They are a great idea for having the ability to tow numerous types of cars since the car requires no preparation.

But if you will tow just one car all the time, there is nothing more convenient than towing four wheels down. I can tell you that the Honda is unlikely to affect your braking regardless of whether you have supplemental braking or not, so you can ignore that cost.

As far as the installation cost of the kit, I suggest you limit it to just the mounting brackets you need and take Mike's advice and add the magnetic mount lights. It is not pretty, but very functional and apparently cheaper than what folks are trying to charge you for prepping the car.

MangoMike
09-18-2006, 09:33 PM
Ray,

Just my proverbial 2¢, but the Dolly is just one more item you have to store and deal with at the campsite. Plus, frankly, it just looks cooler towing 4 down. (Unless of course your part of the Fast Roger I have a new car every week club).

MM

Ray Davis
09-18-2006, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I agree that the dollies are probably a pain in the backside.

Ran across this during my searching, http://www.readybrake.com/

Now this is kinda interesting. I can't decide whether it's just elegantly simple (and cost effective), or it's too simple to be useful. You can get a brand new towbar and braking system for about $700!

I've never heard of this unit before today.

Ray

MangoMike
09-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Ray,

The braking system looks LewSimple. Plus you can use it with Roadmaster and Blue Ox brackets.

Mike

merle&louise
09-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Ray,

I have been towing a 2005 Honda Pilot four wheels down for 15,000 miles. I use a Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow hitch(stays mounted on the MH). Just put the Honda in neutral and go, then every 8 hours I start the engine and let it idle in neutral for 1 minute, put it in D for 1 minute, and R for 1 minute. Then, I am good for another 8 hours of driving. These are the instructions in the owner's manual for towing behind a motorhome. The Pilot weighs about 4,000#; therefore, I do not feel that I need a braking system. I really don't feel it when I put the brakes on hard. Total cost of this setup is about $1400 @ Camping World (tow bar, car mount, and lights hook-up). I didn't think that was too expensive. It took the installer 8 hours to install the bracket on the Honda! They have to completely remove the front bumper. It is a first class installation.

The advantage of towing a Honda (or any other vehicle that doesn't require a drive-shaft disconnect) is simplicity. I don't know why Honda says you should not tow 4 wheels down; I know people who have been towing Hondas 4 wheels down for 20 years! I believe as long as you follow the 8 hour rule of starting the engine to circulate the transmission oil you will be o.k. (just my opinion). Honda probably had a transmission claim under warranty that was being towed behind a MH. If the owner didn't follow the 8 hour rule that could have caused the problem.

Good luck with your decision.

rfoster
09-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Ray: Opinions are like - well plentiful. My recommendation would be to pass on the dolly and tow your car four down. With a dolly -you have to deal with it at the campground as Mango as suggested, plus deal with it when you get home. Either in the yard, and mow around it every week , or take up storage some place, or it gets stolen. Just something else to get your attention.

You can't back up with it - not all cars, trucks, suvs with fit it unless you purchase a Heavy Duty, which you don't always need. You will need a spare tire and wheel for it (at least another $100.00) You will probably need a Jack for it (add for that two) You'll need a couple of good padlocks to loose the keys for when you need them, as well as an extra set of straps in case one brakes, tears, or goes missing.
Plus I bought a new one and after about 5000 miles I had a tire to desenagrate (sp) busted the plastic fender, destroyed the front (yes front) and rear light, wiring harness and damaged a nice 3 series BMW. So I don't tow as much with it as I used too. - unless I am towing a well used light auto. I purchased the blue ox Aventia and brackets for a Yukon / Tahoe (no brakes yet)but plan to get some before SF. But that's my take and that is why they make chocolate and vanilla.:o

lewpopp
09-18-2006, 10:42 PM
Tuga

Honda dealers claim that the car is towable in confidence.

The reason they say that it isn't is because of the exact explaination you put forth in telling how you drive for 8 hours , put it in D for 1 minute and then R for one minute and then to neutral.. Reread your post. If you are really doing it the way you explained, you are playing russian Roulette with the transmission. Too many people are running it through the gears and coming from Reverse to neutral at the end and THAT IS WRONG. You have to come out of drive prior to ending up in neutral. There is some sort of gear or lever that screws up the tranny if you come out of reverse last.

This is very important and that is the exact reason Honda says it's not four down towable because the customers are not impressed with the exact directions.

I said that a diplomatic as I could, but I wanted to put it in CAPITAL LETTERS so everyone saw it.

merle&louise
09-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Lew,

You are right! I am sorry that I explained it incorrectly.

Thanks for the correction. I do perform it like you describe, ending up with D for 1 minute, then back to neutral.

1. Start engine, let it idle in neutral for 1 minute
2. Put it in R for 1 minute with foot on the brake
3. Put it in D for 1 minute with foot on the brake
4. Put it in N for 1 mintue
5. Turn engine off leaving it in N

Looks like you just saved us some "Lewbucks".

Ray Davis
09-18-2006, 11:39 PM
In particular Honda is saying the Civic Hybrid is non-towable, because of the CVT transmission. Ken and Ellen have indicated to me they tow their CVT without issue.

Remco offers a Honda towing warranty. (Whether it's worth it or not is a different question). But, even Remco won't warranty the Civic or Accord Hybrid, and now the 2006 Pilot and the Ridgeline.

I'm not saying I believe that the units are un-towable, but that's the scoup, after a bunch of research.

Ray

Jon Wehrenberg
09-19-2006, 08:13 AM
Ray, If you seek a no-brainer vehicle to tow there is no substitute for a vehicle you can tow without modification or the need to go through a special procedure periodically.

There are enough things you have to remember when towing (such as releasing the hand brake for example) so if you can get a car that you just stick the transmission or transfer case in neutral you are going to have the least trouble.

Tuga and other Honda owners have successfully towed these vehicles for a long time. Ditto for Saturn owners. In my opinion those two vehicles and Jeep 4 wheel drive vehicles seem to be the most commonly towed vehicles and that suggests they are the most trouble free for towing.

I have towed a Dodge Raider (Mitsubishi Montero), a Jeep Grand Cherokee, a Dodge Ram 1500, and an H2 Hummer. All were towed four wheels down, all were four wheel drive, and all I had to do was put the transfer case in neutral (and release the handbrake). Only the Hummer has supplemental braking. I don't believe anybody except Fast Roger (who has a new car every week) used a dolly at POG I. All towed four wheels down and if I recall the towed vehicles ranged from my H2 to a Jeep Liberty, to a Honda Element to a Ford Explorer, and a Jeep GC. Ken and Ellen would have brought their Honda, but they had a problem unrelated to anything we are discussing.

Denny
09-19-2006, 01:47 PM
Ray,

When I first got into RVing I purchased a Demko Kar Kaddy because my tow car was automatic and not towable; after six months I bought a manual transmission car and towed it on all four.

Many of the reason have already been stated why I made the switch but there is one more I want to add. I am sure this has not happened to anyone else, but on a couple of occassions I made the wrong turn and had to unhook the Kar Kaddy to turn around. This only happens when it is raining, snowing or in a muddy parking lot. Much easier to unhook the toad when towing on all four than to lay on the cold, wet, muddy ground to unhook the car dolly.

That was 14 years ago and I have not regretted the move.

Denny

MangoMike
09-19-2006, 02:26 PM
Ray,

I had a Ford Expedition which was just great, but couldn't tow 4 down. Finally gave up and bought a Honda e w/ a stick, just to make sure there weren't any towing issues. Have been very happy with the Toaster.

Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
09-19-2006, 02:27 PM
When did they make hearses with a manual transmission?:D

Not you Mike, you just beat my response to Denny by a minute.

Ray Davis
09-19-2006, 02:32 PM
Denny, great points. I've decided against the Kar Kaddy, but it was at least worth the investigation.

Ray

MangoMike
09-19-2006, 02:33 PM
Hey I can fit a casket in the Toaster w/ the best of 'em.

MM

Jerry Winchester
09-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Except that Mike uses the Toaster more as a trailer than a conveyance. I drove it at OSH. It beats walking. And I loaded 6 people into it with none of them in the back. When we got to the campground it looked like a clown car unloading........

garyde
09-19-2006, 08:03 PM
My experience has been more for vacation travel rather than full timing, or beng on the road from place to place. It seems to me when you take into consideration the cost of the Auto, and the Towing as well as the reduction of Speed and getting in and out of Stations, sites, etc. it has been much easier to just rent a car when I reach my destination. Of coarse, if you are going to many different places, this may not work. Gary

Jerry Winchester
09-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Arrr, me too tend t' rent a car when we be goin' t' one place with no stops in between. Gar, Where can I find a bottle o'rum? ;)

MangoMike
09-19-2006, 10:35 PM
Jerry,
Six people in my e, including your big pirate body. Jeez no wonder the springs haven't been the same. Arrrrrr

MM