PDA

View Full Version : YUMA AIR SHOW

flyu2there
02-18-2010, 08:15 AM
I believe that there are a number of members holed up in vaious locations of the desert southwest this time of year. Should this be of any interest, the USMC and the Yuma International Airport put on one hellava air show annually, this year it will be on March 27.

We have an 8000 square foot hangar that opens to the "meat and taters" of the show, we are right under most of the happenings and nearly a mile from the maddening crowds that are held well clear on the east side of the field. We do hamburgers, hot dogs and soda and can actually talk to one another during breaks in the action.

The Patriots are highlighted this year, a group of grey bearded gents who mimick the Blue Angels in a handful of L-39's, they do a remarkable job. There is also a couple of maniacs who have stripped out a 40 foot schoolbus and strapped a JT8D (Beoing 727/DC-9) engine to it and are going to see how fast they can make it go and stop within the limits of the longest runnway...13,000 feet. My personal favorite is the USAF F-16 (Viper West) who, while staying within the confines of the airport, operates anywhere from 100 feet above the ground to 24,000 feet; this, of course, requires the assistance of full after burners so hearing protection is advised as you not only hear but also feel this one...IMAX would be the closest albeit poor comparison. There are also a number of other performers from the aerobatic boyz to the J-3 cub that lands and takes off from the roof of a pickup truck...moving of course.

Ray Davis
02-18-2010, 01:22 PM
John,

Is it just the one day, Mar 27?

flyu2there
02-18-2010, 06:57 PM
Ray,

The air show is one day, Saturday from 9 till late in the afternoon. Alas, on Friday they practice and my hangar provides a ring side seat if one does not mind being near a few mechanics twisting wrenches and the occasional G-5 of Lettuce Airlines (local joke) parking in front. The crowds on Friday do not exist and it really is just as impressive as the event itself.

There are many many RV Parks and, of course, there is always the desert which is a favorite amongst the more, shall I say thrifty, of our winter visitors. Last year the event was held in February but do to the size of the crowd (30,000 plus) they belayed the date until late March this year as many begin to head north by mid March.

Not to forget, Yuma also offers easy access to Los Algodones, Mexico where you can still get a couple of pairs of eyeglasses made for less than 100.00, including the frames and a refraction. Also nearby is El Golfo, Sonora, Mexico where shrimp the size of lobsters are freshly caught and available at around 12.00 per kilo (2.2 lbs).

jello_jeep
02-20-2010, 07:32 AM
I would pop up and see that show, but have to hit a trade show in LV....

Sounds like fun though...