PDA

View Full Version : Evangeline has a new storage home!

michaeldterry
02-16-2010, 12:43 PM
The local storage lot where we stored Evangeline is gravel and had become a virtual mud pit with all the rain/snow we've had lately. When I returned the bus to her space Sunday a week ago (2/7), she sunk in the mud almost to the axles! I waited several days before trying to move her again to try and let things dry out. Well - that wasn't happening as we've had rain or snow almost every day since! Finally this past Sunday (Valentine's Day), Vita & I decided to try to move her out of the mud and take her to the new home for her that we had found close by (actually a little less than a mile closer to the house) that is reinforced concrete with a 40 foot deep open sided shed (used to be a lumber yard) to park her in/under! (Sure - it's not deep enough to have all 45 ft of bus covered - but it's a damned sight better than no cover at all!)

Well - we dug out as much of the mud as we could in front of and behind each of the wheels (so that she didn't have to climb mud "hills" pulling out). Unfortunately, when I finally tried to ease out, the drive wheels just spun in place. I tried rocking it forward & back - no luck. So rather than make it worse, I stopped and called Coach-Net for a tow. A huge wrecker was on the scene in less than an hour and we supervised the driver hooking up the tow cable to drag Evangeline out (He was great - very knowledge, professional, and courteous). The tow truck had me out of the mud and on solid ground in less than 15 minutes, Because I'm a Coach-Net subscriber through FMCA, it didn't cost us a dime!

We then took Evangeline to her new storage home at "ParkM SellM", set the generators to auto-start, and turned on all the appropriate bay heaters (and one of the house heaters) to ride out this current cold spell.

While on this topic, I must tell you something. The new storage lot we found is a new venture by a local father/son team to provide secure RV/car/boat/toy storage and a "for sale by owner" showcase/showroom for people who are buying/selling vehicles of all types. when we connected, they were very interested in attracting high end RV/bus conversion storage clients and offered us a sweetheart deal to store Evangeline there! I told them that a 50 amp power hook-up for Evangeline would seal the deal and they didn't even blink! I put them in touch with Jamestown Advanced Products to buy power boxes. They placed an initial order with Jamestown (already received) and they can't say enough good things about the people at Jamestown Advanced! They've already dug the trench in the concrete from the power pole to where the box is to be installed next to Evangeline and the electrician is scheduled to install the box (they bought two or three to start until they can get a better handle on actual demand in the area) and make the connections this week.

Bottom line - what started as a really bad situation resulted in a "happy ending" with a new clean/secure storage home for our beloved Evangeline!

I would encourage any POG'er (or non-POG'er, for that matter) who needs secure storage for any type of vehicle or toy on the north side of Atlanta to contact Ed (father) or Al (son) Seiz at ParkM SellM in Woodstock. Here is the link to their website: ParkM SellM RV Storage (http://parkmsellm.com/index.html)

Jon Wehrenberg
02-16-2010, 01:04 PM
That's nothing but good news. Seeing her in that open lot covered with snow was not pretty. Now work on getting closed storage. With 50 amp service, with a pit, heated.

michaeldterry
02-16-2010, 02:50 PM
That's nothing but good news. Seeing her in that open lot covered with snow was not pretty. Now work on getting closed storage. With 50 amp service, with a pit, heated.

That's my dream, Jon! We're actually shopping/looking at local property (kind of half seriously) to build our own bus barn.

truk4u
02-16-2010, 08:18 PM
Michael,

You and Vita need to run up to Waleska one of these days and we can talk bus barns and bus lies...

michaeldterry
02-17-2010, 07:13 AM
Michael,

You and Vita need to run up to Waleska one of these days and we can talk bus barns and bus lies...

We'd love to do just that, Tom! I'll relay your invitation to Vita (the boss and social director) and we'll run some dates by you! Every time we get to meet up with another Prevost owner, we realize just how much we don't know what we don't know! :p It's always educational!

Bill1170
02-17-2010, 06:01 PM
How about some advice on pits in your storage barns, I am getting ready to have one put in and need some input from those who have done it.
How long , wide and deep and anything else you might suggest.
Bill

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-17-2010, 08:26 PM
Bill, this will direst you to some past discussions on pit construction.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?t=1301&highlight=bus+barn

JIM

parksincpp
02-17-2010, 11:11 PM
So glad to hear Evangaline has a roof over her head. I'm sure you'll make their lot look alot better just by being there. From the news reports I've been seeing I think you got more snow than we did. Have you washed all the mud off yet? We wash our under side of the truck every week while our road is muddy otherwise it turns hard as concrete.

michaeldterry
02-17-2010, 11:31 PM
So glad to hear Evangaline has a roof over her head. I'm sure you'll make their lot look alot better just by being there. From the news reports I've been seeing I think you got more snow than we did. Have you washed all the mud off yet? We wash our under side of the truck every week while our road is muddy otherwise it turns hard as concrete.

We haven't washed her yet - too damned COLD! Hopefully this weekend it will wrm up enough so that we can at least give her a quick rinse with out the water freezing!

michaeldterry
03-26-2010, 08:03 PM
A few weeks ago, the owners of Evangeline's new storage home got our 50 amp hook-up installed and operational. Thanks to Jamestown Advanced for working with them to provide the appropriate RV power panel and accesories for installation!

The owners told us the other day that a number of customers and potential customers have noticed Evangeline hooked up to the electric outlet and have requested similar accommodations! When I went to check on Evangeline yesterday, I noticed the installation of several additional RV power panels in progress! I told them that high end RV owners were looking for this type of set-up and they were skeptical. Now, they are ready to admit I was right and they are apparently ready to seize the opportunity. I'm glad it's working out to be a "win-win".

Here is Evangeline in her new spot all hooked up:

And compared to the old dirt/gravel storage lot with no available power and no cover:

Great improvement, yes? :cool:

truk4u
03-26-2010, 08:21 PM
Michael,

When I went by Evangeline today, she kind of was sagging in the rear. Is that because it's level or do you have an airbag problem?

michaeldterry
03-26-2010, 09:34 PM
Michael,

When I went by Evangeline today, she kind of was sagging in the rear. Is that because it's level or do you have an airbag problem?

I suspect I've got an air leak in the system. When she's running, she comes up level pretty quickly and stays there. She only "sags" after she's been sitting for a couple of days. I dread having to chase down that leak (or leakS)!

Jon Wehrenberg
03-27-2010, 06:24 AM
Chasing leaks is in my opinion an exercise in futility once the leveling system components have reached about 10 years of age. If they are older than that I am convinced they need to be replaced.

If this is a project you do not want to do yourself I would recommend you consider Parliament, Coach Worx, or Russell Coach, all of whom will give you a firm quote, all of whom are quality shops, and all of whom will stand by the work. If you buy the parts, and just ask for them to do the labor you can expect to be somewhere in the range of $1500 if you replace all air bags and Norgren valves. It entails about 15 hours of work.

DO NOT CONSIDER TRAVELING MECHANICS.

michaeldterry
03-27-2010, 09:58 PM
Jon - that sounds like sage and valuable advice that I will heed as the leaks worsen to the point of affecting the safe operation and enjoyment of the bus! Unfortunately, I fear that time is not too far off (because things tend to go downhill quickly in direct proportion to how badly you hope they don't)! Although Russell Coach is more geographically desirable distance-wise, I'm seriously considering making the trek to Clearwater,FL to Coach Worx because of their personnel experienced specifically with Vantare conversions. We've been wanting to make a trip to DisneyWorld to take Vita's Dad - who desperately wants to go one last time (At 75 yrs old, he is battling end stage pancreatic cancer and mantle cell lymphoma) and that would put us in the general vicinity of Coach Worx. It would be a good opportunity to get all converter side systems and components checked out and perhaps solve a few minor, niggling issues (like the air lock for the passenger door that doesn't work, the electronic entry keypad that doesn't appear to have power, and the chandelier over the dinette that will not come on).

Orren Zook
03-27-2010, 11:03 PM
It would be a good opportunity to get all converter side systems and components checked out and perhaps solve a few minor, niggling issues (like the air lock for the passenger door that doesn't work, the electronic entry keypad that doesn't appear to have power, and the chandelier over the dinette that will not come on).

Michael, before you spend your $100 per hour at one of the mentioned factory repair facilities - check the relay that controls the keyless entry. If the relay is unplugged (or bad) the keypad and remote will not function. This relay may be removed to thwart the anti theft option, restoring normal ignition operation. I'll stop by my garage in the morning and take pictures of this relay and its location to post for your reference.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-28-2010, 08:11 AM
Orren.....I'm not sure how our Liberty's are set up is the same as how Michael's is set up relative to the electrical portion, and specifically his individual circuits. But I certainly agree Michael can do a little detective work and not only shield himself from $100 an hour but will develop a better understanding of how his various circuits have been designed. I think Sawdust can give some specific advice since he has been all over his Vantare.

michaeldterry
03-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Michael, before you spend your $100 per hour at one of the mentioned factory repair facilities - check the relay that controls the keyless entry. If the relay is unplugged (or bad) the keypad and remote will not function. This relay may be removed to thwart the anti theft option, restoring normal ignition operation. I'll stop by my garage in the morning and take pictures of this relay and its location to post for your reference.

Orren - that would be a super and most welcome help! As Jon says, my conversion set-up may be different (Liberty vs Vantare), but it will sure give me a place to begin! in the meantime, I think I'll PM Sawdust and see if he can shed any light, too!

Jon Wehrenberg
03-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Michael, leaks plague everyone, some being more affected than others because of how their coach is set up or because they need air such as to keep the slide seals inflated. But being able to tolerate leaks until they worsen may in your case not be a good choice.

Unless your air bags have previously been replaced you are running on 15 year old air bags. If they leak that is actually good news compared to if they burst while you are driving. We know your front is overweight. As a result you already have to overinflate the front air bags to get to ride height. I doubt if you would ever consider driving your coach if you saw dry rot and cracking on the tire sidewalls, but if your air bags are original it is probable they look bad enough where they constantly flex and roll over the "piston" to make you a believer.

The same situation applies to your brake chambers, but if one fails while on the road you or a mechanic can cage an emergency brake or plug off the air to a brake chamber with a failed diaphragm, but if an air bag bursts or develops a leak your compressor cannot keep up with, you are looking at a field repair, a tow, or a trip on the back of a flatbed. You will not be driveable.

I only suggest changing all the Norgrens because in the event you are changing air bags, the mechanic can blend that work in with what he is doing on the air bags and the actual time to do both is less than doing them separately. It has not been my experience that a Norgren leak is anything more than annoying and I have not heard of anyone disabled on the side of the road because of a leaky Norgren.

sawdust_128
03-28-2010, 11:56 AM
Quick response:

1. Important stuff -- sorry to hear about Vita's Dad. I hope you all weather the storm as well as possible.

2. like the air lock for the passenger door that doesn't work - I don't have one of these so I don't know,

3. the electronic entry keypad that doesn't appear to have power - I have found that after repeated opening and closing of the door and hatches that the connectors either become dislodged and/or corroded thus causing a loss of power. As Jon said, do the standard detective stuff and save yourself a bundle. Like, check for power at the connector.

4. and the chandelier over the dinette that will not come on. - look for a dimmer switch, looks like a residential wall swith dimmer, mine (and I have several) are in the back wall of my bathroom linen closet, I kid you not. Turn it up and/or turn it on. Check it for failure as well. Why they are burried here, well I don't know. Somebody might know, but not me. Every once in a while something gets shoved in the closet and "ADJUSTS" these switches. I usually go around like a bird flappin my arms and talking to myself about why is THAT not working, until I remeber the dimmers in the BACK OF THE CLOSET.

michaeldterry
03-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Quick response:

1. Important stuff -- sorry to hear about Vita's Dad. I hope you all weather the storm as well as possible.

2. like the air lock for the passenger door that doesn't work - I don't have one of these so I don't know,

3. the electronic entry keypad that doesn't appear to have power - I have found that after repeated opening and closing of the door and hatches that the connectors either become dislodged and/or corroded thus causing a loss of power. As Jon said, do the standard detective stuff and save yourself a bundle. Like, check for power at the connector.

4. and the chandelier over the dinette that will not come on. - look for a dimmer switch, looks like a residential wall swith dimmer, mine (and I have several) are in the back wall of my bathroom linen closet, I kid you not. Turn it up and/or turn it on. Check it for failure as well. Why they are burried here, well I don't know. Somebody might know, but not me. Every once in a while something gets shoved in the closet and "ADJUSTS" these switches. I usually go around like a bird flappin my arms and talking to myself about why is THAT not working, until I remeber the dimmers in the BACK OF THE CLOSET.

Ed - thanks for the reply! I'll try to figure out how to find/trace any connectors associated with the entry keypad for starters. As for the chandelier, the dimmer slider and switch for it is located in the overhead cabinet near the actual light fixture. I'll figure out how to check it for presence of power, etc.

Thanks for you kind comment about Vita's Dad. We call him Lazurus because, 10 years ago, his doctors gave him 3 months to live. He looked them in the eye and actually said, "That's not going to work for me - so what else can we do?" They shipped him up to the Mayo Clinic and did some kind of operation and he's been "dying" ever since! :D But now, I think its really his time. He's tired of the fight and has accepted the inevitibility of his pending mortality.... He's had a good run!

Gary & Peggy Stevens
03-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Michael, one thing I found out THE HARD WAY, on the chandelier over my dining room table, was that it was 12 volt, not 110v like I had thought. Yes it had a 110v fixture and regular fancy light bulbs, but it was running on 12volt power thru the bus circuitry. Very frustrating to diagnose why it didn't work till that was figured out.

Gary S.

truk4u
03-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Michael,

I'll be glad to stop by and see if I can help you with some of your issues.

Orren Zook
03-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Orren.....I'm not sure how our Liberty's are set up is the same as how Michael's is set up relative to the electrical portion, and specifically his individual circuits. But I certainly agree Michael can do a little detective work and not only shield himself from $100 an hour but will develop a better understanding of how his various circuits have been designed. I think Sawdust can give some specific advice since he has been all over his Vantare.

Jon and other Liberty owners, here is the relay that controls the keyless entry (marked #8). This module is mounted behind the panel under the dash next to the entry steps. Just bend the pin as I have on this old relay to shut off the keypad and bypass the the theft security system, also if any of you don't have your master code for the keyless system it is printed on the box - where the duct tape is in the photos.
Michael hopefully this relay is what is causing your problem and can be repaired just by replacing the relay.

Jon Wehrenberg
03-29-2010, 07:14 AM
I understand now. I was referring to the Liberty bank of relays. Those are Prevost chassis relays, not part of the conversion.

michaeldterry
04-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Michael,

I'll be glad to stop by and see if I can help you with some of your issues.

Tom - I definitely want to take you up on your generous offer soon! I'll be in touch to float some dates by you!