PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - first post but not the last

ToyMan
02-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Picking up our bus next Wednesday. Can't wait to get her on the road.

First big trip will be to take my 87 year old father to the Grand Canyon. It's on his "bucket list" and that's a good enough reason to take a long trip and help me get used to the extra 5 feet.

The only problem we have initially is where to put all the stuff we removed from our ex-plastic 4 slide coach. Maybe this is a good time to get rid of stuff that we really don't need.

So far I have found a lot of useful information on this site.

Ray Davis
02-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Welcome Ron and Suzie. Maybe if you have time, you can join us at one of the mini-rallies coming up this month (and next).

East coast or west coast, take your pick!

Ray

ps: Kudo's for having your signature line in place on your first post!!! :D

edsaylor
02-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Ron & Suzy: Welcome to POG!!! You picked the right coach when you chose Liberty. Would love for you to come to our mini-rally at Outdoor Resorts in Port St. Lucie, just a few miles South of you, Feb. 18 to 22.:)

truk4u
02-09-2010, 09:34 PM
Welcome Ron & Suzie, you picked the right bus!;) Oh by the way, if it doesn't have OTR, don't worry, you don't need it and you have company...:rolleyes:

Jon Wehrenberg
02-10-2010, 07:16 AM
Welcome to the asylum Ron and Suzie. As a Liberty owner try not to have that smug smile around owners of other conversions. They already know, and that smile will just remind them.

We Liberty owners have got your back.

dale farley
02-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Welcome Ron and Suzie. You will find the information you gather from this forum is well worth the price of admission.

Just don't get caught up in the riff-raff of the hard-core Liberty guys. They've told so many lies about their conversions until they've actually started believeing it themselves.

michaeldterry
02-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Welcome Ron & Suzie! Liberty Schimberty! The important thing is you have a Prevost, Dude! :p

parksincpp
02-10-2010, 11:28 AM
Welcome Ron and Suzie. Hope you enjoy your new ride.

Devin W
02-10-2010, 02:12 PM
Welcome aboard. I'm pretty recent here myself and have found that there is a lot of valuable knowledge and experience to be had.

BTW, I noticed from another thread that you posted on that you have an observation deck. That's something that my wife and I had talked about to be able to enjoy the views or get some sun. I'd be curious to see some pictures and learn a little about the construction and attachment of something like that.

Thanks!
Devin

ToyMan
02-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Brought her home yesterday. Went to the local Flying J to fill up. Noticed hub oil coming from the drivers side tag axle. Pulled the covers and noticed that it was overfilled. Changed the oil and put a new red cap in just in case.

Now I have to address a lot of air leaks. The toilet hisses constantly. Bus lowers on the drivers side soon after parking. Stairwell cover comes out but will not retract. Aux compressor will not shut off.

We were planning on a trip to Port St. Lucie but decided against it due to the nagging problems.

We have owned 4 other motorhomes. This is our first Prevost and now I see what all the hubub is about. This bus is fantastic to drive. The ride and handling is outstanding.

The coach has some stainless steel dings and, believe it or not, I wasn't responsible for any of them.

Our last motorhome was a 40 footer and that experience helped me in getting used to the bus.

Inspite of these issues, we are happy with the purchase.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-18-2010, 04:34 PM
Welcome to the group Ron, sorry to hear your having a sour time.
Wondering did you buy your coach from an individual or a dealer.
Do you think you will be doing any of your own repairs or do you ...........;):D I guess if you put in the new hub plug, you might be doing some of your own wok. That's good a lot here do.

The slide sticking is probably a screw that holds the track in place for the slide to slide in being loose and protruding into the slide path of the slide, there by preventing it from sliding.:rolleyes:....SLIDE is the word of the day.

Tackle your problems one at a time and get to know your bus. Do not however EVER go UNDER the bus unless it is PROPERLY SUPPORTED.
A little air leak here and there is just part of the experience, unless it's in the BRAKE system.
Talk a little more about the toilet issue and I am sure someone will assist you. Mine does not require air, so I can't help.
If you can "limp" your ride over to PSL I recommend it, there will be a group there that is well worth meeting and you will get many hands on pointers........

JIM:)

truk4u
02-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Ron,

Did all these things just materialize on the ride home? Whether you bought from a dealer or individual, was there a PDI of any sort to check the bus out? With all the aux air leaks your describing, there is a host of causes for the leaks. Try to list them one at a time in detail and we'll try to help.

ToyMan
02-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Truk,
I knew of the leaking toilet regulator and the stairwell problem before I purchased. I also knew of the drivers side list. What I didn't know about was the leaking hub seal.

On the hub seal leak, I drained the old oil out and replaced it. I also replaced the red rubber insert with a new one. It has sat for 1 day and now I can see that the leak is still there. It is coming from the plastic view window. The view window is opaque and you cannot see the oil level thrugh it. I do't know if heat caused this or not. I will replace that tomorrow.

On the toilet regulator, I contacted Microphor and they are going to find me a new regulator. Hopefully no more hissing when I am p***ing.

I also knew that the house batteries were 6 years old. I ordered 4 new 8D DEKA AGM's today from a dealer in Tampa for $425 each. From what I can find out, this is a good price.

I talked to Ben Cummings of Coach WorX (yes I spelled it right) today and he said they will do a 2 hour PDI of my coach and answer any questions about my bus for no cost. It is an introductory thing they are doing for new customers who own buses. I do need help as I purchased from an individual who had the coach for one year and about all he knew about the coach was how to start it, put it in gear, drive it and then make it stop. To his credit, he did put 8 new tires on it, 3 new chassis batteries and a new generator battery.

http://coachworx.net/INDEX.html

I am not a pitchman for them but thought this was something others would be interested in.

truk4u
02-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Your in good hands with Ben, Rick and crew and they can help you sort out the aux leaks. The Deka's seem to be a good price, most of us use Lifeline and they are a Sponsor. I didn't have good luck with the Deka's, they only went about 3 years and were junk, but that doesn't mean you won't do better.

Ask plenty of questions after you get it all sorted out, there is lots of help here.

Will Garner
02-20-2010, 09:17 AM
Ron & Susie,

Welcome Aboard!

I can tell you from first hand experience that Rick and Ben are A#1 on converter systems for sure. They were at POG Sevierville TN and really helped out on a problem I had with my house batteries. My converter monitor system started yelling at me, "Low House Battery Voltage!" Ben is the electrical guru and quickly ran down the problem as failed converter/chargers. After a couple of round trips to Knoxville and about 30 minutes install time, my monitoring system was happy. That was in April 2008 and I have not heard another word from the converter monitoring system. I do check the batteries with the overhead test switch every time I get on and off the bus.

Tell Rick and Ben I said hey and hope their new business is off to a fine start.

ToyMan
02-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Set my deck up for the first time today. It measures 15'4" by 6'4". The platform itself is made of steel with all the rails and ladder made of stainless steel, The floor is rubber with a cut diamond pattern to avoid slipping. It took about 10 minutes to set up.

Below is a picture taken from the ladder area toward the front of the coach.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6147&stc=1&d=1266800045

Notice the 2 black circular screw down caps similar to those on a boat to waterproof electrical things. Inside these are a telephone connection, 110 volt connection and a TV cable hookup.

Below is a picture looking back toward the ladder area.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6150&stc=1&d=1266800045

Below is a picture of the entrance area.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6148&stc=1&d=1266800045

Below is a picture from ground level.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6151&stc=1&d=1266800045

Below is a top down picture of the ladder. No mistake here on who built this thing.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6152&stc=1&d=1266800045

The deck option cost was $25,000. Might be more today.

A couple of years ago I was at the Daytona 500 and I saw a Marathon with the exact same deck from Liberty. Complete with all the Liberty stamping on all steps.

The entire deck folds down and is hidden behind the stainless steel facade on each side of the deck.

The only parts of this setup that has to be stored below is the couplers to tie the rails together and the grab rails at the very top of the ladder.

My first post with pictures and I haven't quite figured it out completely.

Devin W
02-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Wow, that platform is pretty nice -- I guess the price was at the time, too, but I imagine that it must be tied into the roof supports somehow. Thanks for sharing the pics!