PDA

View Full Version : ABS check warning light

sticks
02-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Here's another NOOB question. On my first trip in my new ( too me) 2005 Liberty H3, I pulled away from a small truck stop outside Amarillo, Tx and the ABS check light came on. It remained on for the rest of the day and the next day as well. I got to Las Vegas and stayed for a week. Started up to come home and no ABS warning for the entire trip home.This occurred again for one day from Chicago on the way to Florida. Got to thinking. In Amarillo, I was parked over on some dirt while I ran into get a sandwich to go and my OTR was on all the time.In Chicago I was outside the factory but can't remember how " clean" the street was. If you are parked over dirt or debris with OTR on, would this be swirled around by our basement units and possibly affect the ABS brake sensors?

Ray Davis
02-04-2010, 01:14 AM
Anything is possible. I think if you check previous threads here, there has been indication of ABS sensors having issues with water.

dreamchasers
02-04-2010, 05:23 AM
Sticks,

I can offer my experiences with the Prevost ABS systems.

First, the sensors are held in place by a spring like clamp. The sensor can easily be pushed closer to the rotor simply by pushing on the sensor. The sensor holder was not as robust as I envisioned. These sensors can easily be pushed or vibrate back from the rear axle or front rotors. Having said that, during my two years of Prevost ownership, I have only had ABS issues once. During one of my Prevost visits, a sensor was pushed back during work on the rear brake area and caused the ABS light to stay on. this was corrected by pushing the sensor, held by a spring clip, closer to the rear axle lug nut rotor.

Second, a diagnostic circuit exists in the pneumatic bay, under the drivers compartment. By reading through the Prevost maintenance manual that covers this device, a series of blinks on the diagnostic lamp and certain switch positions can help in determining the issue.

Hope this helps.

Hector

Jon Wehrenberg
02-04-2010, 07:08 AM
To add to Hector's remarks I will occasionally have an ABS light that fails to extinguish. When that happens is is usually related to having driven in rain or having been parked when it has been raining or very damp out.

It will not go out until I turn off the engine and restart it. So on my coach humidity or moisture impacts it.

This is only an occasional thing so I ignore it knowing when I turn off the engine at my first potty break the light will not be lit when I restart. It does not ever come on when driving.

GDeen
02-04-2010, 10:47 AM
I am still having the VSS Circuit Failure issue with mine, and it seems to be more prominent when driving in the rain. So many contacts on these things means a lot of places for a break in continuity.

Sticks, when I bought my coach from Steve Bennett, he cheated and told me the secret of belonging to the OTR brotherhood. It is important to shut it down when pulling into areas with gravel or dirt - if nothing else, to keep from making a mess.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Gordo............the first time a noobie pulls off the pavement onto an arid dusty surface with the OTR blowing at full tilt, and the bus disappears in a dust storm he will sense something might be required of him as the driver to address the issue.

But until he learns OTR is for use on concrete or blacktop surfaces only it sure is fun watching. That is unless the dust is drifting over my cleal bus and car.

GDeen
02-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Gordo............the first time a noobie pulls off the pavement onto an arid dusty surface with the OTR blowing at full tilt, and the bus disappears in a dust storm he will sense something might be required of him as the driver to address the issue.

But until he learns OTR is for use on concrete or blacktop surfaces only it sure is fun watching. That is unless the dust is drifting over my cleal bus and car.

I still forget sometimes while basking in all that refrigerated air......

Jon Wehrenberg
02-04-2010, 01:32 PM
There you go irritating the multitudes. Next thing you know you are going to get personalized fans.

Ray Davis
02-04-2010, 03:07 PM

I did the same once with my CC coach, but it wasn't OTR. It was my generator, which had a down-facing exhaust. Kathy did mention that the entire bus disappeared in a cloud of dust. Bad news was that the bus had been fairly recently washed, and now I had to do it again ....

Denny
02-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Oh the advantages of the Country Coach OTR! I can have it meat locker cold inside and not stir up any dust outside.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-04-2010, 07:13 PM
I can move my bus up north and have it meat locker cold inside without stirring up any dust either.

Of course I make kick up a little snow.

Denny
02-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Jon,

You have been gone from the North too long. We don't have snow in the hot summer months. 90 degrees out, sun beating down and nice and cold inside and no dust outside. Priceless.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-05-2010, 03:54 PM
What day is that? I may want to come visit.:D

sticks
02-05-2010, 08:07 PM
Thanks for your posts and suggestions on the ABS sensors.Haven't kicked up a dust storm yet but have been taking note of the truck stop surfaces when I pull in. If rain and/or moisture can affect the sensors, mine must be bullet proof, since I've driven through torrential rains for two days this trip and no ABS sensor issues.