PDA

View Full Version : Prevost Terms -- Unfamiliar

LarryB
02-01-2010, 01:34 PM
I registered as the new owner of our bus with Prevost, answering a few question and that was that. Received a Thank you/ Welcome letter a short time letter. No where in the letter or my conversation did I hear reference to any self help access to Prevost info which I am assuming these terms, "CATBASE" and "Prevost Action" apply to. Anyone care to take me by the hand and explain---Please?

GDeen
02-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Larry,

I sent an email to maurice.gagne@volvo.com who is the north american service manager for Prevost. He had ronald.beverly@volvo.com send me a copy of CATBASE DVD. Very accomodating.

michaeldterry
02-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Larry,

I sent an email to maurice.gagne@volvo.com who is the north american service manager for Prevost. He had ronald.beverly@volvo.com send me a copy of CATBASE DVD. Very accomodating.

I e-mailed Ron Beverly this afternoon inquiring about getting a CATBASE CD. Within 30 minutes of sending my e-mail he called me! He told me that an updated version of the CATBASE will be available in about 10 days and wanted to know if I wanted to wait on the new one or did I need one right now. I told him I'd wait for the updated version and he said he would send it to my home as soon as it became available along with instructions for its loading onto my computer and its use.

Now that's service!

LarryB
02-01-2010, 07:08 PM
Gordon and Michael, thanks for the info on Catbase. I will follow your lead.

Now, anyone know about "Prevost Action" ?

Ray Davis
02-01-2010, 07:21 PM
I assume that they mean this ....

http://www.myactionservice.com/English/prevost_service.asp

truk4u
02-01-2010, 08:07 PM
You can just call the toll free parts number and ask for the Catbase and they will send you the disk, providing you have a Prevost account number.

gmcbuffalo
02-01-2010, 10:49 PM
can't you get the same thing online?
GregM

LarryB
02-01-2010, 10:57 PM
Ray, I think that is it. Nice to know this sort of stuff is available. I must not have the secert hand shake or, as they used to say in Uncle Sam's Canoe Club--"there is always 10% that doesn't get the word."

BrianE
02-01-2010, 11:57 PM
It's a little different from recurrent ground school Larry. It doesn't come from the company firehose, you have to ask for it. :D

Prevost Action Service (PASS) is a very cool thing (as you probably know by now). These guys are available 24/7 at (800) 463-773. They can help with ALL things Prevost. Another very helpful item is the Prevost resources card that lists pertinent numbers and all of the regional service managers and their phone numbers. Any service center should have them.

LarryB
02-02-2010, 01:10 AM
Brian, "you have to ask for it". Reminds of the guy that asked, "how can I yump when I got no place to stood?" [best said in a Scandahovian accent]

Thanks for the info

Jon Wehrenberg
02-02-2010, 07:26 AM
Larry, if you did not get the secret decoder ring with your membership give Skiffer a call. The reason none of us asks questions is because we have the ring and know how to use it.

The reality however is all of us except the liars were like deer in the headlights when we got our Prevost. We got ours prior to the internet, so if you think you have a hard time getting answers imagine having one with no manuals. I used to go out in the evenings and open up panels and study systems to try to figure out where stuff (like valves and little black boxes) was located and what made things work.

Harvey Mitchell was superb even though I did not buy the coach from him because he provided 4 days of training at his expense on his dealership's pad. Today learning a coach is much more difficult because they are significantly more complex and a lot of our coaches have proprietary devices and controls.

So ask your questions here. We may answer them, we may actually get the answers right some of the time, and those among us who are afraid to ask the same question will appreciate that you asked the question.

We also answer personal questions and especially like the juicy ones that will allow us to break your chops for months and months.

JIM KELLER
02-02-2010, 07:44 AM
Larry, Like Jon said you need the Secret Decoder Ring. If you had one you would be able to learn the missing digit to the phone number Brian posted.

truk4u
02-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Tool Man, good catch!:p Brian has the decoder ring, but he's so wrapped up in the intricate workings of the Mole Colony that he forgets how to properly use the decode function.:rolleyes:

Jon Wehrenberg
02-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Actually I think Brian is quietly working to try to emulate Kevin. As was evident by the condition of the engine in the bus Brian sold to Truk, he is striving for the Anal Award and he does not time to run his check list every time he posts.

I think the moles are nothing more than a small irritant compared to the real challenge of keeping Peter under control.

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-02-2010, 08:35 AM
I just checked my ring and the magic number is *8*.

:D:D

BrianE
02-02-2010, 10:50 AM
Jon, Actually Kevin is beyond reach. Am doing a little cleanup though. :rolleyes:

JimK,Tom, Decoder ring needs batteries.

Jim, Thanks, as usual. :o

LarryB
02-02-2010, 12:08 PM
OK Skiffer, where is my "Decoder Ring"? Per Jon I need to ask you for one. Is there a choice of colors?

Jon Wehrenberg
02-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Ours came in the return mail after we paid our $25 for dues to POG.

My SDR was white gold and engraved with my name and POG number.

LarryB
02-02-2010, 12:56 PM
So that is the problem, I paid $15. for the yearly dues. I received the sweatshirt but no ring. I assume the $25. includes the ring.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Anyone that can lie like that with a straight face is definitely a POG member.

Orren Zook
02-02-2010, 02:32 PM
On an unrelated note, Flying J has a promotional deal for those having the RV Discount card. Those of you who are members of FMCA can link their cards and receive a 3 cent gasoline and/or 2 cent diesel per gallon discount from Feb 1 to April 30 of 2010. Log on the Flying J web page for details.

Ray Davis
02-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Oren, could you post a link to the promotional deal you mentioned. I'm scouring the FlyingJ website, but don't see it.

I have the RV card, but was planning on getting the MasterCard, because I thought that allowed you to get the RV discount, even in the truck lanes.

Ray

JIM CHALOUPKA
02-02-2010, 09:48 PM
Larry, only a few rings went out, you need to pay the extra fee with your annual membership renewal, $50.00 and sign an affidavit that you will post a given number of times per month.

If you slip me your credit card the next time we meet I'll see you get one without signing.;):D

Here's a picture of mine searching the missing number you needed.

LarryB
02-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Jim, thanks for the offer but my ring came UPS today-----it doesn't fit however, it seems to be like this group---VERY LOOSE. <G>

Gary & Peggy Stevens
02-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Jim, thanks for the offer but my ring came UPS today-----it doesn't fit however, it seems to be like this group---VERY LOOSE. <G>

HEY, I resemble that remark !!!! :eek: :D

Gary S.

Pete
02-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Ray, I had the Flying J Master Card. It allowed you to use the truck lanes and pay the posted cash price for diesel. During the time I was unable to do much if any traveling, (I had surgery and was not able to travel for about six months) they canceled it for "inactivity" . I called talked with several people and they would not reinstate the card. Finally, I was able to talk to someone who advised me that they were not issuing any more of the cards, I guess it was not a successful program for them, as it was during the time of their bankruptcy.
It was a very useful card, and I wish they would re-start the program. Would be interested in hearing what they tell you.

Orren Zook
02-02-2010, 11:41 PM
Oren, could you post a link to the promotional deal you mentioned. I'm scouring the FlyingJ website, but don't see it.

I have the RV card, but was planning on getting the MasterCard, because I thought that allowed you to get the RV discount, even in the truck lanes.

Ray

Ray, log on the FlyingJ site: https://b2c.flyingj.com/fjportal/appmanager/b2c/loyalty enter your username (email address) and password /or register as a new user, then from the MAIN MENU select CUSTOMER PROFILE, at the bottom of this screen you have the option of entering a CLUB affiliation and a MEMBERSHIP number, enter your information and SAVE. Click the little door in the top right to log out.
You will get a 1 cent per gallon discount from the cash price - even if you use a credit card when using the RV card from any fuel pump at Flying J, and if you buy anything inside the convenience store or restaurant the dollar amount of purchases can increase your discount level. I've only tried the pizza and it wasn't too bad.

As I understand it, this is a limited time promo 2/1/10 thru 4/30/10. It did work on the gas pump - I tried it today.

Orren Zook
02-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Pete,
My card was so worn that it wouldn't scan/read I couldn't remember my login @ FlyingJ so I re-registered and got new cards last October. Click the link in the previous message and sign up for a new one. Your email will be your user name so if you had previously registered you might need a new email (gmail or hotmail addreses are easy to get).

Ray Davis
02-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Orren,

Thanks for the info. I was able to logon, create an account and link to my RV card. I did try to add a card, but there was no Mastercard available. I did add a Rewards Club card, which says it's good for fuel discounts.

Would have liked the Mastercard, but as mentioned above, it doesn't seem to exist any longer.

Ray

Larry W
02-03-2010, 07:53 PM
Since the middle of December we have been coast to coast using a Discover card to purchase fuel with a FJ rewards card. Has never failed to get us the cash price.

Ray Davis
02-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Are you fueling at the truck island, or the RV island? During my OKC trip I used the same card, at several Flying J, and never got the cash price, even though I used my RV card to help authorize things.

I did find recently that you can use your RV card to start a pay-at-the-pump session. You put in the RV card first, and there are several button presses, and then it asks for a payment card, where I've put in my Discover card.

But still either this way, or going directly into the store, we never got the cash price.

ray

ps: Maybe I need the secret decoder ring?

truk4u
02-03-2010, 09:20 PM
I go in the RV side unless they're backed up at the fuel island social hour and always get the cash price using the J card and Discover. I would rather fuel on the truck side, but you can never find a slot that isn't soaked in diesel spills.

Ray Davis
02-04-2010, 01:16 AM
Do you generally find the RV side large enough, especially if towing? I've used the RV island once, and as I remember, it was tough getting out ...

Jon Wehrenberg
02-04-2010, 07:02 AM
I did the RV side once. That was enough for me. I had to wait for some guy in a Dodge dually pulling a horse trailer. Just watching him go so sloooow was painful, but when I got in the spot and started to pump out of the baby nozzles it was equally painful.

It was a challenge getting to the pump because the approach was not a straight shot and on this particular Flying J to get out I had to swing through the gas islands under the canopy and nobody gives you a break. In fact most of the car drivers leave their cars sit next to the pump while they go in to buy their week's groceries.

So I always go to the big boy truck islands and stand on the greasy concrete in my junky shoes I carry in the first bay just for fueling. Have I ever said how much I like long range tanks so I don't have to put up with fueling very often?

truk4u
02-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Ray,

I've never had any issues even with the 45 getting in and out. The pumps are slow as Jon pointed out, but I'm not in a race for time, so no big deal. Some of the truck side pumps are not credit card friendly and require a trip or two inside and that rarely happens at the RV side.

Jon has to go to the truck side because he know's he's going to puke fuel all over the concrete and doesn't want to embarrass himself in front of the Winnebago guys!:(

ajducote
02-04-2010, 08:35 AM
I use the truck side with the RV card and American Express and get the cash price -1cent. I have found that each Flying J has a little different procedures. Some want the Credit Card receipt sign and some don't. Some have better card readers then others which can make a big difference. I always stand in line to get a receipt so I don't end up on the 6 o'clock news for stealing fuel. (wonder where I heard that story at?)

rfoster
02-04-2010, 09:06 AM
I put on my big belt buckle and use the truck lanes. Sometimes I even let my belly hang over my belt.

I tried using the rv lane once but the guy in the 5th wheel tried to dump his holding tanks while buying a diesel and he pulled a Jon Job on the concrete except it wasn't no diesel. Yes Flying J has dump stations located very near to the fuel pumps. Good idea, but the democrats just can't make it work.

I gave him the Darwin Award for the day.

Orren Zook
02-04-2010, 09:21 AM
I think that you'll find some of the different card readers at some pumps at the FlyingJ are due to independent dealer/franchise locations. The one in Austinburg OH and Columbia SC have a Conoco sign prominently displayed along side the Flying J sign.

garyde
02-04-2010, 10:50 PM
There's deisel spill at a fill station? No kidding.
I have been very fortunate using the commercial pull thru's. I slide my flying J card first and then my credit card 2nd. Now, it does not always work, but it is still much faster than waiting for a guy in a fifth wheeler, or and older gent in a new pusher trying to figure out which side his fill cap is on.
I do go in and get the receipt as well.
Truc you have to be kidding aout the nozzle speed. I tried the RV fill up once and could not get 25 gallons out of it without it turning off and having to re slide my card . Plus it took 3 times as long to get the 25 gallons!
When you go to the commercial pull thru's at least everyone is on the same page. Get in and get out as quick as possible. Pull up to let the next guy pull in while you go inside for a reciept.
Hardly ever have to wait to fuel either. Short lines.

gmcbuffalo
02-05-2010, 12:19 AM
The biggest wait is the lines at the counter. Once to give them your credit card, RV card and tell them what lane you are in. Then again back in and wait to get your CC and receipt. Pilot is no better if not worst.
GregM

Larry W
02-05-2010, 05:55 AM
I found the following instructions on the Flying J web page.
At the truck pumps first insert the payment card. Second insert the Flying J card. This has given me the cash price and the 1 cent discount all this trip.
Now I am set up for some comments because I admitted I read instructions.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
02-08-2010, 08:10 AM
All right guys, I know I am one of the NEWBE's here but let me throw this at you to get your take and or abuse?

I believe the truck island charges 10 cents more per gallon than the RV island for road use tax on the trucks? Correct or Not Correct ? :confused:

When using any CC at the RV island it will probably only allow $75 of fuel fill due per cc swipe due to the CC company not Flying J's, policy. So the best way to use the RV island is to take your CC and your Flying J card into the store, ( I have Peg take it In ) fill up using both pumps and Peg gets the reciept while I finish closing the fill caps, and pulling out of the island.

I have only seen one RV island I didn't want to try and get into, so I used the truck island, and paid more for the fuel.

Gary S.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Not the case where I have fueled up. The price is the price.

We live in the middle of where Pilot is based. So for me the penny or two extra Pilot charges over the Flying J is worth it for the convenience. I buy diesel at the car islands for my backhoe and Bobcat and it is the same price as the truck islands. I have a Pilot credit card that gives me the best cash price and I get a bill once a month. It starts the pump so I never have to go inside and stand in line.

truk4u
02-08-2010, 10:17 AM
Sponge Bob,

Commercial road tax is not collected or paid by the fuel suppliers. The taxes are paid by the Carrier to IFTA based on mileage run in the state(s) and IFTA distributes the tax to the states.

I have never seen any difference in the truck side and RV side when paying for fuel with my CC and the FJ card.

Steve Bennett
02-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Arizona charges an extra tax on commercial vehicles over 22,000LBS. You can generally get the regular "auto" diesel price by telling the cashier it is a motorhome even at the high volume truck pumps. There may be other states that have a different tax rate. Most states do not charge a different rate.

gmcbuffalo
02-08-2010, 09:16 PM
In Oregon the FJ prices advertises online are lower than the Car Islands by about 25 cents, because the Truckers pay PUC taxes straight to the State per mile and on the Car islands the taxes are included in the pump price.

GregM

Larry W
02-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Filled with fuel today to at Flying J in Albuquerque. Used a Discover card at the pump then my Flying J RV card. Got the cash price which totaled $404.93This included 6 cents a gallon to give me the cash price even with a credit card. The another 1 cent per gallon RV discount. I did have to go to the fuel desk to get a copy.

garyde
02-08-2010, 10:32 PM
The low advertised price on the sign and on their web site is what you pay,
the low cash rate.
A few Years ago in Arizona,
I was questioned by an Arizona State officer while filling up at a Fuel station , using a vehicle pump. Why was I not at a commercial pump?
At first, I did not know what she was asking, then she flashed her badge and said I was illegaling filling at a Car Pump. When she finally realized I was not a commercial bus, but a private Bus , she was OK with it.
I found it surprising there was a weights and measures officer there at a gas station which was right next door to a RV Park.
Way too much time on her hands I guess.

Orren Zook
02-09-2010, 05:21 AM
She was probably just trying to generate a little tax revenue for the state.....

Jon Wehrenberg
02-09-2010, 07:28 AM
A long time ago we were at the outlet mall in Reading, PA and we were asked to park with the charter buses, which was a good deal because they were close to the door.

We were having coffee waiting for the outlets to open when a loud banging on the door happened. It was two ladies who did not identify themselves but asked to see my "paperwork", a term I asked her to define which she did not. She just kept saying she wanted to see my "paperwork".

Since I did not open the door, only the window I told her I wasn't going to show her anything, at which time she flashed a badge. I then realized the two ladies were with the PA DOT. They were checking all buses. I told her we were not a bus but a motorhome and that I had no paperwork. It finally dawned on them we were not a bus and their shitty attitude went from mean to apologetic.

We noticed throughout the day they were all over every bus that came there that day. More frequently now we notice cops of some sort or another checking trucks at rest areas, recently seeing one on a creeper doing an inspection under the truck next to us. The driver looked unhappy. They are revenue generators not looking out for public safety.

Orren Zook
02-09-2010, 08:22 AM
When we were at Mt Rushmore a couple years ago the SDDOT was checking all commercial buses in the bus parking lot - four of the thirteen there were red tagged for safety violations, stranding the tourists until repairs were completed on site, new drivers or other transportation arrived. Quite an inconvenience for those unsuspecting travelers.

rahangman
02-09-2010, 11:35 AM
Sounds like a sort of Profiling perhaps, but probably just a means of generating monies for the state as mentioned. I would hazard a guess that their desire may be somewhat motivated by highly advertised Bus Accidents such as the one in Atlanta when the small town's team crashed into an exit ramp probably due to Driver fatigue.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-09-2010, 02:18 PM
I question their skills and intellect if the DOT folks cannot tell the difference from a commercial vehicle and a private motorhome.

Maybe that's why they paint a taxi yellow, so it looks different from a black and white Crown Vic and grandma and grandpa's Crown Vic.

michaeldterry
02-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Sounds like a sort of Profiling perhaps, but probably just a means of generating monies for the state as mentioned. I would hazard a guess that their desire may be somewhat motivated by highly advertised Bus Accidents such as the one in Atlanta when the small town's team crashed into an exit ramp probably due to Driver fatigue.

Back in 1999, when I was still spending my summers driving buses for touring DCI drum corps, the Wisconsin DOT turned up in force at Camp Randell stadium in Madison, WI at the DCI World Championships and proceeded to inspect every bus there. With over 50 drum corps competing at an average of 4 buses per drum corps (in addition to dozens of buses belonging to school groups attending as spectators), the inspectors poured over about 300 buses and red tagged/shut down so many that it created a logistical nightmare! It was painfully obvious that it was a revenue generating mission as some drum corps that were found to have "safety violations" were able to pay "fines" on the spot to keep from having their buses "quarantined". Fortunately, our buses were not red tagged or ticketed for any violations. Our director was an old bus guy and watched the inspectors like a hawk and wasn't discreet about it. I think they knew they had met their match! :p

Jon Wehrenberg
02-10-2010, 11:20 AM
I would imagine that unless they have an inspection pit, ramps, or some means of elevating a bus an inspection for a commercial bus will involve lights, wipers and the standard pre-trip air system / brake system check.

Nobody I know of with a brain will get under a bus to do an inspection of brake adjustment or brake pad / shoe thickness or any other underside inspection.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
03-04-2010, 06:09 PM
I take exception to the comment that the crash was due to fatigue. My info states the drivers (2)had made a change prior to to the accident.

Ed

Jon Wehrenberg
03-04-2010, 09:06 PM
I agree with Ed. That crash site was at an HOV exit ramp that ended in a "T" intersection, and someone unfamiliar with the HOV exit lanes could easily enter the exit ramp without realizing in a few hundred feet there was a stop sign. Once it was realized an error had been made there is no way to stop a bus from highway speeds.

Now that HOV exit has very clear markings and drivers will not mistake the exit for the thru lane.