PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Summer travels in the west

ajducote
01-29-2010, 12:16 PM
I am trying to schedule / arrange a long summer trip that will start in Florida, then a month in the DC area. Then we will head west for the summer. What I am looking for are recommendations for good places to stay in and around: Colorado Springs, Williams, AZ, Sante Fe, NM.

Colorado Springs, Garden of the Gods campground??
Then we stop at Alpin Rose in Durango for the Fat Beagle 4x4
Next stop, Williams, Az for the Grand Canyon Train trip: Railside RV Ranch ??
Then onto Santa Fe, NM: Sante Fe Skies RV Park ??
Then POG 9 at Buckhorn Lake.

Then Back to Va again, then home to FL for by 1 Dec 2010.

We have never been west of Buckhorn Lake in TX with the bus and we really want to spend some time in the Rockies this summer. We need nice places to land for 2 to 3 weeks at a time. We can only travel on weekends and need good cell coverage for Verizon, ATT&T and Sprint so we can work. Good wifi would also help! Not asking much am I !!!

So if anyone has good recommendations I am all ears.

Thanks

phorner
01-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Andre,

We have stayed at the Grand Canyon Railway RV park and it is great. Plenty of room, easy access and walking distance to the train station and restaurant. We also took the train to the south rim of the Grand Canyon. Well worth it to take the train.

We have also stayed at Sante Fe Skies, another one of our favorites. Close enough to Sante Fe without the hassle of being in the city. You are also located right on the old Turquoise Trail, which runs from Sante Fe to Albuquerque. Lots of neat little towns along the way.

Feel free to PM or email me if you need specifics.

Have fun!!!

ajducote
01-29-2010, 01:09 PM
Paul,

Thanks for the info.
Is this the ine you mean?

http://www.thetrain.com/grand-canyon-railway-rv-park-5738.html

I will be at the PSL Rally so I will pick your brain then if that is OK?

Thanks

Kenneth Brewer
01-29-2010, 03:15 PM
Paul,

Thanks for the info.

Thanks

Unsolicited comment: Nice clean park, but just know that there is/was no security gate, though the police may have patrolled occasionally. Wasn't a problem for us, we were there November/December 08.

rahangman
01-29-2010, 03:42 PM
We stayed in Santa Fe Skies for 3 days last spring enroute to Denver. Nice stay, easy in/out people friendly. A small cozy fun place close by (brewpub) was fun, but LOVED the Blue Corn Brewery in town. Ate there 2 nights in a row due to excellent cuisine. :)

Willis Michell
01-29-2010, 03:55 PM
We stayed at the Railside Ranch. The staff there were excellent and very helpful. The owner Tamara even watched our dog when we were gone for the day,helped us plan day trips and really knows the area things to do.We also stayed at Santa Fe Skies and it was nice as well.

rfoster
01-29-2010, 05:46 PM
I will "2nd" the Railside and Tamra. She was the best hostess - especially when the bus won't move. Would recommend her place anytime and would stay there again.

One way on the train is plenty. We booked round trip and it got a little old before we got off back at Williams.

Santa Fe Skies is nice too! POG had a rally there once upon a time.

ajducote
01-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Thanks everyone. Sounds like Sante Fe and Wiliams are covered. Does anyone have any good suggestions for Colorado Springs and Colorado in general? Or other places in Arizona that are worth a 2 week stay?

hhoppe
01-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Just have to get a plug in for the California Coast from San Diego all the way through the Redwoods in Northern CA. There is a great FMCA Rally in Oregon in August. Good parking areas and great evening entertainment.

charlesebrownjr
01-29-2010, 09:33 PM
I have stayed at the GC Railway RV Park 3 or 4 times and really enjoyed it.
There is no security fence, but the park is behind the police station.

garyde
01-29-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks everyone. Sounds like Sante Fe and Wiliams are covered. Does anyone have any good suggestions for Colorado Springs and Colorado in general? Or other places in Arizona that are worth a 2 week stay?

HERE IS A PLACE IN COLORADO SPRINGS, I BEILIEVE OTHER POG MEMBERS HAVE STAYED HERE, I HAVE NOT.
http://www.coloradocampground.com/index.htm

nrhareiner
01-30-2010, 05:28 AM
WE have stayed at Alpen rose in Durango. Very nice place with room for the coach and toad. Just be careful about leaving and turning north during the day. Traffic can be bad.

Santa Fe Skies is one of our favorite places to stay. We have been there 5 times over the years.

When in Durango book the Silverton Train trip. Definitely worth the time. I would recommend taking the bus back.

If you have time go into the Steamboat Springs area. Lots to see and do. There is a campground just west of town on the north side of route 40. Good electricity, cell service. It is called Eagle Soaring RV Park.

While in Colorado do not miss the Rocky Mountain National Park.

flyu2there
01-30-2010, 08:03 AM
Colorado...think about an annual pass at the State Park System. I do recall that you need two passes, one for the towed vehicle as well, but the total for both was less than 100.00. After that I believe you pay only a small fee at entrance with a two week maximum stay in each park. They have a reservation system available as well.

The Colorado State Parks run anywhere from "bare bones" to full 50 amp water and sewer. There is an especially nice park south of Denver a few miles in Littleton around a larger lake that has very easy access to all of the Denver area...big pull thru's (horse shoes off of big loops).

BTW if anyone is 62 or older be sure to grab a lifetime pass to the National Park System for free entries (I do believe Grand Canyon is now at 40.00, with Yosemite biting at those heels as well). Should you need one go to the local BLM office, the BLM issued passes offer some additional "goodies".

phorner
01-30-2010, 08:45 AM
Paul,

Thanks for the info.

Thanks

OK but you'll need to pick quickly.... there's not much left !:eek:

Coloradobus
01-30-2010, 10:34 AM
Hey Andre,
'
Garden of the gods RV Park is a great locale for the Pike Peak area. It is a bit tight.

A few miles out west of the Springs up at 10,000 ft near Divide Co is Mueller State Park, an absolutely great state run campground.

Another nice Park for local Denver attractions is Dakota Ridge RV Park in Golden or our office parking (50 amp and water) lot which is 7 miles clioser to downtown.

South Central area, near the Wheeler Geologic formation and near the headwaters of the Rio Grande, is Mountain View at River's Edge in Creede.

Then ofcourse, up high again at 9400 ft is Tiger Run in Breckenridge.
Further north in the Estes Park area is the sister park to Dakota Ridge in Golden, Elk Meadows

Further north in Ft Collins is the KOA in La Porte Col

Grand Junction area is RV Ranch. Its a great park centrally located for seeing the vineyards of Palisades or going to the Colorado national Monument.
As others have said Santa Fe Skies is great and John and his family are super people. Be sure to eat downtown at the Shed Restaurant,(call ahead)
And be sure to take self tour of the artwork at the State Capital building which is free. The Artwork is of local artists. the art is spectacular and the building as well is great since it is round.
Happy Trails

ajducote
02-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Jim & Chris,
Thanks for all the Colorado information. This will help me a lot. I have most of the trip planned out, just needed a little more help for Colorado.

If we make it up to Denver we will stop by to see you. Thanks again, much appreciated.

Based on the names you provided, I ran across Loveland RV Resort, part of the "Essential Colorado RV Resorts" system. Do you have any first hand knowledge of Loveland?file:///Users/andreducote/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-2.png

Neal&Carla
02-01-2010, 07:55 PM
Andre and Ann--we stayed at Santa Fe Skies. It was nice but high on a hill so quite windy and dusty as only the main road is paved. However, the visit was outstanding due to the wonderful restaurants and art galleries on Canyon Road. Geronimo and Fuego are outstanding fine dining establishments. They were superb. We also enjoyed Gabrial's, mexican food with a beautiful patio. It is north of town past the the Opera House. The Pink Adobe's reputation is better than the food!

We are also fans of Tiger Run Resort. Beautiful park with great access to the area. We have traveled to Breckenridge for years. Favorite restaurants there are Mi Casa, Eric's and Steak & Rib.

Sounds like a wonderful summer trip. Enjoy!!

Carla

Coloradobus
02-01-2010, 08:04 PM
You got me Andre,

I didn't know Dakota Ridge, Elk Meadows et al, we owned by one outfit.

Anyhow, we have used RiverView RVPark for Airstream rallies, aka Loveland Rv Resort. It is nice and nestled right on Big Thompson River. Town is not far and neither is Estes Park.
I Don't about accomodating busses with the entry bridge over the River