PDA

View Full Version : water pump "froze"

sticks
01-20-2010, 10:30 PM
On my same trip to Florida trying to outrun the bad weather, noticed that we had no water or toilet flush. Had to double back to North Chicago to Liberty factory where Bill, the service manager, worked us right in to investigate. After removing , he soaked the pump in ? to dissolve any sediment that was rendering the the pump " frozen". I use city water ( even though we live on a horse farm in the suburbs)and have not experienced this problem with my old Travel Supreme with its' smallish water pump. Do I need to " exercise the pump " every week while in it's heated storage barn or did I have just bad luck? It's a 5 year old coach.By the way , everyone at Liberty were extremely helpful!! My pump problem was discovered on Sunday in Missouri, yet in minutes I had Gary Patterson and Troy on the phone suggesting roadside cures . When all failed they arranged for me to come in the next day and dropped everything to get me taken care of right away.A CLASS COMPANY!

Jon Wehrenberg
01-21-2010, 07:01 AM
The best thing we all can do for our coaches is use them and drive them. I would suspect however that lack of use should not cause a pump to "freeze" a term I interpret to mean it was locked up. If it was locked up I would guess it popped a breaker? Anytime an electric motor tries to run and is prevented from turning due to its load or resistance to turning the electrical load spikes and if the electric is not turned off a fuse or circuit breaker is going to trip.

I presume you have a Headhunter pump? 120V?

merle&louise
01-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Sticks,

When you discovered the pump problem in Missouri; what was the problem?

sticks
01-21-2010, 09:52 PM
Bill at Liberty in Chicago said it was probably sediment from the water tank that " froze" the pump.

garyde
01-21-2010, 11:04 PM
I have had my pump stick sometimes as well. Troy told me what to do. At the front of the pump there is a cap cover. Behind the cover, there is a slotted shaft head. Using a small screw driver, insert it onto the shaft and then turn clock wise several turns to free up the pump motor shaft.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-22-2010, 06:13 AM
The best thing we all can do for our coaches is use them and drive them. I would suspect however that lack of use should not cause a pump to "freeze" a term I interpret to mean it was locked up. If it was locked up I would guess it popped a breaker? Anytime an electric motor tries to run and is prevented from turning due to its load or resistance to turning the electrical load spikes and if the electric is not turned off a fuse or circuit breaker is going to trip.

I presume you have a Headhunter pump? 120V?

Jon, wondering why you presume sticks has a Headhunter pump?

He has a Liberty conversion so wouldn't one presume he had the same pump as you and I? We have Paragon pumps by Groco. Does Liberty still use the Paragon?

tdelorme
01-22-2010, 06:51 AM
Liberty went to Headhunter in 99 or 2000, Jim.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-22-2010, 07:10 AM
If someone could take the time to post a picture of a Headhunter here, please.

michaeldterry
01-22-2010, 10:41 AM
If someone could take the time to post a picture of a Headhunter here, please.

Here's your headhunter! :p

sawdust_128
01-22-2010, 11:15 AM
I think this is what you want (black unit on rt side). Michael posted a head shrinker.

phorner
01-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Hey, it only stands to reason that you have to hunt it before you can shrink it :eek:

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
01-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Hey, it only stands to reason that you have to hunt it before yoy can shrink it :eek:

Hey, You're good, Paul!! I like that:D:D See you in Feb.

Sandy

sticks
01-22-2010, 11:26 PM
my water pump was a headhunter pump " hidden" behind a chrome plated bracket to which is mounted three water filter/purifiers. The back side of this pump, furthest from you, as you look in at is the " cap" that is to be removed and some how you are suppose to stick a screwdriver in blindly and rotate the shaft. Needless to say, my arm was both too big around and about 6-8 inches too short to reach this objective. Bill, at the factory I believe removed the bracket with the three filters and removed the pump to work on it.