PDA

View Full Version : Where to get this stuff?

sawdust_128
01-15-2010, 04:38 PM
I need 3 of the air bladders (part no. 950208) that provide the belt tensioning. The original bands on two have been replaced with Oetiker high torque narrow band clamps. The baldders are pretty much shot and one clamp failed. The one in the picture appears to be a recent replacement , but I will go ahead and replace it with a new one and keep this as spare. Is there a better source than prevost for the bladers and the clamps? I would like to have the clamps in the parts bin. On the belt tensioner, I also want to replace or rebuild the release valve as well.

Also, I need to replace or rebuild (?) both of the air regularors in the engine compartment. One regulates the air to the belt tensioners and the other is on the fire wall on the passenger side and supplies air to several items including the retarder (?).

I don't find these regulators in catbase, but then I am no expert with that software.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

This is the regulator (backside of it) which controls air pressure to the belt tensioners. The circle of hex nuts clamps the regulator body together. the gaskets between these halves are leaking and tightening the body only slows the air leak. The red, visible throuhg the wire loom is the handle of the belt tensioner release valve.

This is one of three air bladders whcih provide the belt tensioning function on the s60. This one appears to be newer and the original stamped band clamp is still intact. The other two have already seen their best days. The stamped bands failed and were replaced by narrow band high torque clamps. They need to be retired.

MangoMike
01-15-2010, 05:16 PM
SD,

Coincidentally I just replaced one of these bags the other day.

Part # 950208 about $30 from Prevost.

MIke

lonesome george
01-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Ed, the air bag is a Firestone 1M1A, I think the price from Prevost is going to be hard to top $26.73 last May.

Can you find the manufactures name or a part number on the regulator? You might be able to save a buck or two on that.

sawdust_128
01-15-2010, 06:46 PM
Ed, the air bag is a Firestone 1M1A, I think the price from Prevost is going to be hard to top $26.73 last May.

Thanks for that.

Can you find the manufactures name or a part number on the regulator? You might be able to save a buck or two on that.

Have not been able to find a part number for these regulators. I'll keep trying. I may just have to bite the bullet and talk with Prevost parts.

Thanks.

Ray Davis
01-15-2010, 07:01 PM
There are just some things that are easier to get from Prevost AND are cheaper (go figure!).

Air bags, front headlight assemblies have been mentioned before. I think you'll be hard pressed to find these for much less than $30 per bag?

Ray

Scott T
01-15-2010, 07:36 PM
Ed
For the regulator, try Fisher Controls. We use alot of these type regulators for instrument air application in the patch. Specify the connection size and the pressure rating, as well as the output pressure required. Good Luck
Scott T

Orren Zook
01-15-2010, 08:09 PM
Bendix, Velvac, Sealco and Midland (probably others too) make that type of regulator: adjustable from 10-125# with either 3/8 or 1/4 inlet and supply ports. They should run $35-$44 depending on the manufacturer. I'll check tomorrow to see if rebuild kits are available for yours

truk4u
01-15-2010, 08:51 PM
Dustmite,

Have lots of adult beverages handy when you change out the bottom one under the fan assembly!;) The bolt is a doozy to get back in...

sawdust_128
01-16-2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks Tom. Not what I wanted to hear but I appreciate the warning. I'll save the beverages for when the job is done and I will be sure to pack the tool box with the big dammit tool.

Thank you all for the bits and pieces of info. All very helpful.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-16-2010, 07:30 AM
Ed might get lucky and find the one on his H3 is way easier than the PITA one on the XL.

sawdust_128
01-16-2010, 10:00 AM
O.K. curiousity:confused: now has the best of me. Tom, what made it so difficult? Maybe I should bring two or three dammit tools.

truk4u
01-16-2010, 11:25 AM
This goes back 3 - 4 years, but what I remember, I had to make a deep socket tool that would hold the bolt straight. I believe there was a recessed hole the socket and bolt had to go in from the bottom and there was no way to keep the bolt straight to get is started. I think I filled the socket with styrofoam or something to support it. Plus I needed a 1 foot arm extension!:eek: You'll get er done, but there may be a tad of pain.:(

Jon?

sawdust_128
01-16-2010, 12:09 PM
So it's the usual problem with these coaches. Everything on it is reachable if your arms are 6 inches longer than those which God gave you.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-16-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't remember the details either but as Tom said it was a PITA aiming the bolt that goes into the base of the bellows into the threaded hole.

Unless the H3 uses a different design. The rivet XL design was a knuckle scraper.

Will Garner
01-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Hey Wood Chips,

Mine has the old "armstrong" adjusters for belt tensioning. Did you ever consider "dumping" the air system and going back to the manual system? I know then your "stock" length arms will do the job and you won't have to buy those six new "dammit" tools to carry around with you.

Seriously, I hope all works out in your repair. If you need some longer arms I can make a run up the road tomorrow as it is a national holiday. Just let me know where I need to come.

Will

sawdust_128
01-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Hey there Will. That would be great but I think we should wait until I get some parts:eek:. What say you?

We could have a micro rally in the street in front of my house. Heck, my neighbors would show up with food and beer just to be able to tour the coaches. They are funny folks. We might be able to snag deserts if we let their little kids sit in the driver's seat. Maybe some banana pudding.

I down sized so I now only have three dammit tools. Got one of each Sears Craftmen, 1. good, 1. better and 1. best. With a lifetime warranty.

sawdust_128
01-22-2010, 09:53 PM

FYI update:

The air bladder is actually a Goodyear Super Cushion Mini Lobe Part number 1S3-013. These may be different on the H3. They are 3" air bladders. Looking at the catbase specs, some coaches use 4" bladders at some of these locations. I did not cross reference to your Firestone specification.

The regulator is a Williams Controls Part Number WM-279-E1. For those who are interested, there is a repair kit for these it is repair kit 114224 from Williams. Most other parts for these are available.

lonesome george
01-23-2010, 12:38 PM
I got it wrong on this one, Ed. Prevost does use Goodyear bags. The Firestone is a compatable part. I got confused, I know you will find that hard to believe, we use both manufactures bags on some transfer equipment we build. I got the 1M1A from a Prevost invoice and I thought that was the Firestone part number. We use what ever ones we can get our hands on. The only difference I can see is the Goodyear has a metal stem and the Firestone has a plastic one.
I stand ready to take whatever punishment you deem necessary for this infraction.

rfoster
01-23-2010, 08:43 PM
Woodflakes:

As I recall when I changed mine, the use of chewing gum inside the deep well socket was the key to success.

And you thought McGuyver was good.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-23-2010, 08:51 PM
A little trick would also be to use a socket head cap screw.

You know, stick it on an hex wrench/Allen wrench, aim it where you want and go to town.

:) JIM

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-23-2010, 09:00 PM
The cap screw and Allen wrench.

sawdust_128
01-23-2010, 09:18 PM
George, there's no infraction, your part would have worked as well.

Bling Burgermeister, next time try a wad of masking tape it won't rust the socket or attract ants.

Jim C. That's good. If it were up to me, you would be able to choose fromn the top shelf.