PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerator Relay

MangoMike
09-11-2006, 08:30 AM
On my '97 Liberty Classic, when in battery mode, there is some relay tied to the refrigerator that has been clicking every 15 seconds or so. At the same time the green led light in the panel for the refrigerator and one other circuit blinks at the same time. Stops if I turn off the refrigerator or start the genset. Anyone have ever have a similar problem or know exactly where this relay is located?

Thanks
Mike

Joe Cannarozzi
09-11-2006, 10:58 AM
I have a bunch of relays that reduce voltage so you can opporate things through small switches at the control panel. These switches usually cant handle all that voltage, hence the relays. They also sreve as switchgear for dual voltage appliances. Try opening up the panel, weve got about ahalf a dozen or so back there. Your fridge is 2-way? 24volt/110a/c? Its constant on if on shore power and only 24volt is opporated by the panel switch? This is how ours is wired and would explain why nothing is wrong with shore power. BUT you know Mike, ours is 22 years old and you got that electronic wonderland! Good luck.

dalej
09-11-2006, 11:51 AM
is it a Dominic? they have their own ele box on the back of the fridge. course mine is a 86 like Joe's. I had the 12v element go bad one time but mine just goes to LP. After replacing it, it uses 12v first when now on AC.

MangoMike
09-11-2006, 12:02 PM
HI Guys,

It's just a standard home 2 door refrigerator.

Mike

MangoMike
09-11-2006, 12:20 PM
I talked w/ Troy Moody at Liberty in Fl 800.554.9877 and here's what he thinks is the problem.

The compressor isn't getting enough voltage from the inverter and the overload switch on the refrigerator compressor is clicking on and off. This is caused by either poor batteries or a problem with the inverter. If you take a voltmeter (and it has to be an RMS voltmeter to give the proper reading) and check the ac circuit and the voltage drops below 100v when the refrigerator is trying to start, then this is probably my problem.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike

Joe Cannarozzi
09-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Dale, That was our original set up. A 2-way, 24volt,110a/c 59in. tall, r/v style fridge. That was one of many things broken and removed in the first couple of days. Right now we are temporarly using a small 110a/c. We have located a new propane fridge taken from a new plastic camper because the buyer wanted a washer/dryer and a few other things and it was removed and replaced with something else. Stainless doors and it has its own icemaker! We really miss the propane option and are looking forward to having one again. Combined with the free-standing ice-maker, that we already had under the bar and the freezer in the basement we have more than enough capacity and a MUCH more efficient system. We park across from our house so we dont plug in and we used to be able to just run the fridge all summer on our past campers and leave um stocked. It was much more convienient.

We also noticed that when the ice-maker under the bar is running it throws alot of heat. Well, since we will have an additional ice-maker now we would like to either build or buy one of those grills that slide out of the first bay curbside that the Libertys have. Ours will be propane, only difference. Ide like to put that U-line unit out there, under the grill. Mabye slide out with it with a cabinet next to it. For now just looking forward to the new fridge, hope to have it in before Road America the end of the month!

Do you also have a gas cooktop and furnaces? All this propane stuff is inexpensive, efficient, easily available, easy to work on and works well. Not to mention another redundincy.

Mango, shouldnt that watch-dog system catch that and fire up the generator automaticly?

mike kerley
09-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Mike, I'd just run an extension cord from the refer out the window to the pole and see if it works with shore power direct. If so its the bus, if not it the compressor.

Mike K

Jerry Winchester
09-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Mike K,

I think the only problem with this is that you have to remove the engine, washer/dryer and door bell on a Liberty to get to the refer plug. I think there is a service bulletin from Liberty that states when that relay clicks about 100,000 times, this happens.

http://jdub.smugmug.com/photos/70599208-M.jpg

MangoMike
09-11-2006, 06:58 PM
I'm up to 99,856 clicks.

Mike

Jon Wehrenberg
09-11-2006, 07:23 PM
Mike,

Asking advice from the likes of this bunch is an exercise in futility.

Let's assume Troy is correct. If you need to verify voltage to the refrigerator make it easy on yourself and just check the voltage from the front or rear outlets (whichever one is on the refrigerator inverter) with all other coach electrical loads off.

Let's assume the refrigerator "on" blue light is intermittent when you do that. That should confirm Troy's assessment of the problem if the voltage is low, or verify it is OK. Your panel display should be showing voltage, and I assume if it was low as Troy suggests you should see it there.

If he is correct, you will be spending some serious Lewbucks to fix the autostart and replace the batteries, because that is the root cause.

If, however your refrigerator is working OK and it is not cycling on the thermal overload or failing to start due to low voltage then Troy can probably direct you to the relay location, but I vote for his analysis.

Orren Zook
09-11-2006, 08:31 PM
If it turns out to be a problem with your batteries, I can get lifeline replacements for about $160 each (with your core).... this was the price last month - it may vary a bit because of lead and antimony costs.
FOB - Girard Ohio

merle&louise
09-12-2006, 10:23 PM
You guys are hilarious! I can't wait to meet you in SF.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-13-2006, 07:10 AM
Tuga,

I have met a lot of these guys, and I can tell you that it might be prudent to register under an assumed name and then just sit back and observe these guys. You may then change your opinion.

I'm not even sure I want to hang around with myself.

MangoMike
09-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Yea Tuga,

This is how Jon should showed up at the first POG Rally.

http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/DSN/DSN006/1771221.jpg

MM

Jon Wehrenberg
09-13-2006, 02:21 PM
The rest of the family.

truk4u
09-13-2006, 03:24 PM
Here's the real Jon looking for the Norgen valve causing the leans on his bus!:confused:

MangoMike
09-13-2006, 03:37 PM
Orren,

Would that battery price be for Gel Cells? I use 8G8D and will be heading thru Ohio in mid October.

Thanks

Mike

Jerry Winchester
09-13-2006, 04:31 PM
Here are two of Jon's other family members performing exercises in futility.

Jon Wehrenberg
09-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Good ones JW.

I'm sure I saw the first one in Wal-Mart the other day (or maybe Shoneys), and I wished I saw the second one in Wal-Mart (or maybe Shoneys).

Since Tom had to post the aviation photo, we might as well really get Lewster wound up by pointing out those two could literally define the term "weight and balance".

merle&louise
09-13-2006, 09:32 PM
Jon,

Is the young lady in the red bikini going to attend the rally in Santa Fe?

If so, whoever she rides with needs to increase the load rating of their front tires!

What is her GVWR?

lewpopp
09-13-2006, 10:22 PM
Tuga and Karen

Didn't you know that "POG" stands for PLENTY OF GIRTH.

How would you like the likes of eith on the back of your Harley?

When Rae is not with Jerry, he go scouting for the such. He's a pig (POG PIG)

Jerry.....
When you finish with some of your friends, do you have to take pictures of them?

garyde
09-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Make certain the fins on your refer are vacuume cleaned once a year or the dust build up will blanlet your refer fins and cause it to cycle on and off. That overheating is what may be cycling the relay. ;) Gary