PDA

View Full Version : I-59

Kenneth Brewer
01-12-2010, 11:34 AM
"We were on I-59 north of Birmingham and that road sucks. It is a constant thumpity-thump."

Thank you, Jon, for the post and, in particular, the report on that road. I was planning on taking that road. Any other bad roads in the country that anyone would advise against, please let me/us know. Thanks.

James
01-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Any other bad roads in the country that anyone would advise against, please let me/us know. Thanks.

It may be appropriate to have a separate thread for bad roads or for bad sections of roads.

There are several roads that we have traveled that have had very bad sections to an otherwise good road and it would have been great to know in advance so we could slow down. GPS coordinates would be better than descriptions.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Ken,

I would not avoid that road if it made sense. However, to minimize the thumpity thump just hog the fast lane. The problem with the road lies about half way between Birmingham (heading northbound) and about 3/4 of the way from Birmingham. It is on both sides, north and southbound.

James
01-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Hwy 247 is very good except a short section just North of the stop sign at Lucerne Valley. Lots of, what seems like, frost heaves which, if you're going fast, almost gets the front end airborne.

The address for the GPS is approximately 12212 Barstow Road, Lucerne Valley, CA.

Otherwise, great road, very scenic.

hobobimmer
01-12-2010, 06:11 PM
Ken,

I would not avoid that road if it made sense. However, to minimize the thumpity thump just hog the fast lane.

Jon is right. I've driven that road 30 or 40 times. Hog that left lane. Everybody does and they'll pass you on the right. It's not a very busy interstate.

Eric Faires
Huntsville, TN

rfoster
01-12-2010, 09:18 PM
I- 59 is so ruff (that means the same as rough) the last time I turned east at Montgomery to Atlanta and took I-75 North to Chattanooga/Knoxville.

Much better- not a lot of time difference as it was on a Sunday and Atlanta traffic was not an issue. I may have driven at speeds exceeding 63 or 64 mph.

Loc
01-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Ken,

I-59 north of B-ham is a washboard. The key is to stay in the left lane as much as possible. It reminds me of what I-10 in Lousiana was like before it was repaved although I-10 was much worse. I-20 around Talledega (between B-Ham and Atlanta) is also bad.

michaeldterry
01-13-2010, 10:33 AM
Ken,

I-59 north of B-ham is a washboard. The key is to stay in the left lane as much as possible. It reminds me of what I-10 in Lousiana was like before it was repaved although I-10 was much worse. I-20 around Talledega (between B-Ham and Atlanta) is also bad.

Both of those roads have been bad since I lived in B'ham in 1974-76! You'd think they would have smoothed them out in the last 35+ years!