PDA

View Full Version : Webasto Fuel Consumption

Jamie Bradford
01-08-2010, 09:47 AM
I am sure someone knows this . What is the fuel comsumption of a Webasto?

tdelorme
01-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Yea, Jamie, it's cold over here too. Fourteen degrees at 6 this morning.
Hopefully, someone can tell us how much fuel a Webasto uses when it's running, and I'm going to guess it's a big number. Something like 5or 6 gallons for an hours run time will not surprise me. I hope it's less but no matter what the number is, I'm keeping mine fired up and set on 55 degrees.

ajducote
01-08-2010, 10:19 AM
I just spent 5 weeks in MD and Va and it was cold a good bit of that time. I averaged about 12 to 15 gallons a week over the whole 5 weeks.

I had filled up just before parking and when I left to come back to Florida I filled up again. I only had about 200 miles on the tank, so I used 7MPG for the 200 miles, subtracted that from the fuel I put in and came up with 12 to 15 gallons a week for the AuqaHOT.

If you want to play it safe, I would guess 20 gallons a week would be pretty close to as bad as it could get.

truk4u
01-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Jamie,

Mel must have a special super charged framulator installed on his to use 5 -6 gallons an hour!:rolleyes:

Webasto says .4 GPH.

sawdust_128
01-08-2010, 11:30 AM
5. How much diesel fuel does an Aqua-Hot use?
Our customers tell us they typically use 1 - 3 gallons of diesel fuel per day for all of their heating needs. The diesel-burner's fuel consumption is actually rated at a half a gallon of fuel per hour when operating continuously. We always like to emphasize, however, that a customer must be in sub-zero temperatures with the hot water running non-stop for the heater to operate continuously.

Link FYI:

http://www.aqua-hot.com/b2c/ecom/ecomEnduser/default/FAQs.aspx

tdelorme
01-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Well a little good news is nice. The darn thing sure sounds like it's burning more than that. I think I'll go bump it up a degree or two being the big spender I am.

rfoster
01-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Mel the truth is out-- you can't hide money. -- turn up the thermostat-Loc is subsidizing everyone with a bus.

Sure are bunch of whiners about the weather over on the other thread. Seems like most of 'em are from Georgia.:cool:

MangoMike
01-08-2010, 12:47 PM
The DBW2010 uses .35 gallons per hour when running. Found on the Marathons.

The DBW2020 uses .6 gallons per hour. Usually installed in the Liberty's as their owners are known to be thin skinned.

mm

michaeldterry
01-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Sure are bunch of whiners about the weather over on the other thread. Seems like most of 'em are from Georgia.:cool:

Shots fired! :eek:

ken&ellen
01-08-2010, 04:58 PM
Mike, I dated women in college that consumed more than that per hour! Just Ken....no Ellen on this one.:cool:

Loc
01-08-2010, 05:56 PM
We ran the Aquahot for 10 days with temps in the 30's to 40's daytime and 20's at night. It burned 20 gallons approximately over that period of time which is 2 gallons a day.

truk4u
01-08-2010, 08:01 PM
So Mikee, if you average the two you get .048, so cut me some slack!:p

Jon Wehrenberg
01-12-2010, 08:02 AM
We just spent a week down at Gulf Shores where we went to get out of the cold. Didn't happen. We froze.

But we ran the Webasto a lot. I didn't bother to keep track but when it is cold and you need heat or need to preheat the engine the amount if uses is of no concern. I agree with the .4 to .6 GPH. Seems right.

We never have run our Webasto much because until this week we have not spent as much time in the cold. What did surprise me was how much current it draws. Our Webasto has the big circulating pump, plus we have five heat exchanger fans in the coach so when it is working it does pull a lot of 24V current. Should have thought about that, but never did.

Kenneth Brewer
01-12-2010, 01:16 PM
The DBW2010 uses .35 gallons per hour when running. Found on the Marathons.

The DBW2020 uses .6 gallons per hour. Usually installed in the Liberty's as their owners are known to be thin skinned.

mm

Pardon me, but in the interest of full disclosure, for those who may find it useful, please keep in mind that Libertys have 80,000 Btu Webastos, not puny 40,000 btu units. Perhaps for weather such as being experienced in much of the country or, of course, in Canada. Thanks.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Ken,

Isn't it the heat loss that defines fuel used? The higher BTUs of the one Liberty installs will get to temperature pronto, but once there it shouldn't use any more than the guys with the smaller output units.

It's like HP in a car. In my 505 HP car I get 28 plus MPG on the highway (24 MPG lifetime average, mostly local driving) but if I use the power on tap I will pay for it.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-12-2010, 01:50 PM
BTW Ken,

Feel free to take shots at the non-Liberty folks. I'm glad to have company and its kind of neat seeing others slap the other owners around a little to keep them aware of the best conversion.:D

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-12-2010, 02:18 PM
It's like HP in a car. In my 505 HP car I get 28 plus MPG on the highway (24 MPG lifetime average, mostly local driving) but if I use the power on tap I will pay for it.

Let me guess, you ONLY drive your ZR1 Corvette 62.5 mph ???:p:p:p

Gary S.

Kenneth Brewer
01-12-2010, 02:28 PM
Ken,

Isn't it the heat loss that defines fuel used? The higher BTUs of the one Liberty installs will get to temperature pronto, but once there it shouldn't use any more than the guys with the smaller output units.

Quite so. Inefficiencies of either unit should be comparable. And with lower outside temperatures (greater temperature differential), more heat loss, more heat required. So, it would appear size does matter. How astute of you to point this out. Thank you.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-12-2010, 02:39 PM
Let me guess, you ONLY drive your ZR1 Corvette 62.5 mph ???:p:p:p

Gary S.

A Z06, but I wish it was the ZR1.

In a 70 MPH zone I typically will run 75 to 78, but with a red Corvette I have to be careful on local roads because the car is going to attract attention and a ticket is sure to follow.

MangoMike
01-12-2010, 05:11 PM
Pardon me, but in the interest of full disclosure, for those who may find it useful, please keep in mind that Libertys have 80,000 Btu Webastos, not puny 40,000 btu units. Perhaps for weather such as being experienced in much of the country or, of course, in Canada. Thanks.

Ken that is the difference between the 2010 and 2020, 45k vs 80k. Both use the same brain.

Mike

MangoMike
01-12-2010, 05:54 PM

Ken that is the difference between the 2010 and 2020, 45k vs 80k. Both use the same brain.

Mike

Kenneth Brewer
01-12-2010, 08:34 PM

Mike

Yes, that was the point for those who were unaware of the difference in functional terms, btus, between Liberty and other converters. Thanks.

jack14r
01-12-2010, 09:28 PM
The Liberty Webasto system does not have solenoids to control the flow to heat exchangers or the detroit diesel,this system is always heating all parts unless you turn off the gate valves,because of this I would imagine that it would burn a little more fuel.

sawdust_128
01-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Dear President Obama,

While all of us enjoy touring this wonderful contry in our Prevost Motorcoach conversions, there is one group that is ruining the environment with their BIG Webastos. To boot, they are gloating about the damage they are doing to the global climate. Them and their BIG Webastos are probably responsible for melting about 400 million hectares of northern ice cap. These scoundrels should be forced to buy a geometrically amplified amount of carbon credits and taught a lesson for mocking you. Why I bet they are each responsible for a dozen polar bear deaths in just the last year. God knows they caused the gulf oyster population to nearly go extinct.

This recent cold snap, yep, you guessed it, the result of their conspiratorial efforts. Dude, if I were you I would want to execise extreme caution with these right-wing terrorists. You might want to do a little more to get them off the interstates and out of the public lands. After all, they call themselves the Liberty Gang. A few of them have even been seen on the FOX News.

Good Luck!

Jon Wehrenberg
01-13-2010, 07:58 AM
President Obama has decided to not spend the weekend in NY so his wife can go shopping, and has decided to donate the 9000 gallons of Jet A (diesel fuel) to poor Liberty owners so they can keep the engines on their fine machines warm during this climate warming spell.

sawdust_128
01-13-2010, 02:09 PM
STIMULUS? Are you holding your breath? :D

michaeldterry
01-13-2010, 02:24 PM
President Obama has decided to not spend the weekend in NY so his wife can go shopping, and has decided to donate the 9000 gallons of Jet A (diesel fuel) to poor Liberty owners so they can keep the engines on their fine machines warm during this climate warming spell.

I ain't buying it! While Presbo may run (read ruin) the country, Michelle runs him and wouldn't allow a little detail like 9,000 gallons of Jet A to get in the way of her shopping extravaganza!

rahangman
01-14-2010, 10:16 AM
I have to side with the owners of Evangeline.:D