PDA

View Full Version : JENN AIR ELECTRIC GRILL

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Thinking about different things and my outdoor grill comes to mind.

It seem to work well enough, but leaves a little to be desired.

It works best in good weather, but when it's raining or the wind is blowing it plain sucks.

Not being the original owner I am wondering, is something missing, like maybe a cover/hood as usually accompanies a propane grill.

Comments?
Do you have this problem?

Anyone have a cover on their electric grill?

Can't really blame this on Liberty, but they did install it;)

JIM:confused:

merle&louise
01-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Jim,

If your grill is the same kind my buddy has on his Newell it is wide open with no top. About the only thing it is good for is grilling steaks. I like to have a cover on my grill - it justs works better.

A thought might be to have a cover made out of aluminum!:) It might not be pretty, but it would do the job.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-03-2010, 11:53 AM
I have used mine in very windy conditions but at moderate temperatures and its performance is less than on a calm day. However, if it is set to the highest heat level it does the job, just slightly slower. I imagine if the performance is so compromised on yours on a windy day you could fashion a cover that would be about 2" tall and would sit on the periphery of the grilling area. I would suggest you make it from something like 18 or 20 gauge stainless or aluminum. Although I could probably beg a redhead I know to make one for me in her factory, I also know I could go to Lowes and pick up some sheet metal and extruded aluminum angles that could all be cut and pop riveted together to make a cover.

I grill on mine a lot, but when it is windy I usually do not just because of the usual dust and crud flying around in a camground, especially from drivers that don't know how to slow down.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-03-2010, 12:32 PM
My long range plan includes makingup or finding a ready made cover.

IMHO, the worst condition for uncovered grilling is rain.

I don't care much for soggy steak :eek:

hhoppe
01-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Jim my first thought would be to tell you to move south and stay in better weather. Thats's not practical? Well then think back to the old Coleman Gas Camp Stoves. Do you remember the fold down three sided wind screens. They worked well in all windy weather and cold areas. If you are interested I'll take a look at my Liberty grill and see if adapting the same design with three sides and a top would work. SS of course. Let me know.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Yes I do remember the Coleman stove, very practical contraptions. Thanks for the reminder Harry, hold up on it though.

I think I am going to try a full cover to keep the rain off as well. It's also a good idea to cover to retain the heat and cook from the top at the same time as the bottom.

You can think on the topic too if you want and we'll see what we can come up with between us.

Something as simple as the stainless steel domed lid from a restaurant steam table might work, if I could find the right size?

Do you ever use the Jen Air grill?

JIM :)

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-04-2010, 07:50 PM
I'm thinking a pan such as these turned upside down with a handle attached might work?

I'm not at the bus, so don't know the size I need. From memory, these seem close!

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/4-deep-full-size-standard-weight-economy-stainless-steel-steam-table-hotel-pan/922STP1004.html

JIM

garyde
01-04-2010, 10:15 PM
Hi Jim. The lid sounds like a good idea, it might be you can get it with a vent opening on the top for air circulation.

jelmore
01-05-2010, 09:59 AM
I use heavy duty foil to tent with. Tuck one edge under the grates, upwind. You can shape it to the right curve to get the heat circulating, easy to peek in or fold back, you can vent it if it needs more air, you can scrub your grate with it when finished and then toss it in the trash. Not very elegant but works for us.

sticks
01-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Haven't used mine yet but looks like you could scorch the paint up the side of your coach without trying. Is that possible? Hopefully one of you guys, smarter than me, can come up with a easy to use hood.

phorner
01-05-2010, 07:16 PM
My experience has been that the electric grill works well, with no detrimental effects to the bus.

GDeen
01-05-2010, 09:07 PM
Sticks don't fall for it! None of the Liberty guys have ever used that fancy pull out grill before on their coach - they are trying to make you the guinea pig.

Haven't you noticed all the Liberty for sale descriptions include "built in JennAir grill (never used)?"

garyde
01-05-2010, 11:31 PM
The Grill is fine, its what you cook on it. Anything with fat, grissel, and toppings like butter will make your grill flame up.
Steaks, Hamburgers, hotdogs, chicken under contolled heat is fine.

tdelorme
01-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Sticks don't fall for it! None of the Liberty guys have ever used that fancy pull out grill before on their coach - they are trying to make you the guinea pig.

Haven't you noticed all the Liberty for sale descriptions include "built in JennAir grill (never used)?"

Sticks, for once, Gordon is right. Get one of these and forget about using the built in grill. These little gems are the best cooking grill I have ever used. My kids bought me one of those thousand dollar stainless grills several years ago, that cooking wise is a POC compared to the Q. Since I an the third best cook in POG, you can go to the bank on this recommendation.
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-386002-Q-100-Portable-Grill/dp/B000WOTUCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1262777951&sr=8-1

jack14r
01-06-2010, 09:44 AM
I have one in the bus bay also,I will cook for 8-10 guys at the race track and it is awesome.

rfoster
01-06-2010, 10:16 AM
We ate the best steak I have ever had at the Weber Grill in Chicago. It was delicious and I had witnesses (Micki, Jim and Karen Keller).

If you ever have to go Zip Dee Awnings for repairs or replacement, look up the Weber Grill resturant- its great.

GDeen
01-06-2010, 11:38 AM
Sticks, for once, Gordon is right. Get one of these and forget about using the built in grill. These little gems are the best cooking grill I have ever used. My kids bought me one of those thousand dollar stainless grills several years ago, that cooking wise is a POC compared to the Q. Since I an the third best cook in POG, you can go to the bank on this recommendation.
http://www.amazon.com/Weber-386002-Q-100-Portable-Grill/dp/B000WOTUCI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1262777951&sr=8-1

Bought a stainless Cabelas grill which is built very well and looks nice. Fits nicely in a plastic bin which keeps the bay clean and free of grease and cooking odors when stored. That said, it is not the most even cooking grill ever made and I have to shift stuff around on it. One of these days may buy Ted's Weber as that was my other choice.

rahangman
01-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Doesn't Weber make a sister grill to the Q? I think it is electric, and would thus be more convenient IF it cooks as well.....wondering minds want to know..;)

Devin W
01-06-2010, 04:04 PM

:eek: Oops! There I go showing my noob-ness....I didn't realize we're not supposed to use that grill! ;)

We used ours when we went down to Houston on Thanksgiving and to Kemah over X-mas/New Year's and I have to agree it takes awhile to cook something. It wasn't as cold as Colorado outside, but it wasn't exactly great weather either time. Although it was kind of cold outside, I think the main factor is that with a covered grill you get the benefit of convection, but un-covered, it is just a grill and only cooks on the contact side. That being said, we still enjoyed several meals cooked on it -- we just happened to have an extra beer or glass of wine while waiting for the food to finish cooking!

hhoppe
01-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Jim
The Full Size Hinged Dome Steam Table / Hotel Pan Cover may be the best bet. We need to get Dimensions from them. A small adjustable vent could be added to the top.
Has anyone tried out the Char-broil dry infared turkey roaster. They work great and no oil mess. char-broil.com

sawdust_128
01-06-2010, 09:44 PM

Gordon, you are so right. Here's what they use.

Plus, with it they can move all those plumbing pipe polishing supplies, the Driver's suit and Plumbing Bay tour Guide hat collection.

sticks
01-06-2010, 10:49 PM
Thanks guys for all the recommendations and make shift hood options for my jenn-air grill. Too much to wrap my mind around , so I think I'll order out and " reflect".

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-22-2010, 06:01 AM
I'm thinking a pan such as these turned upside down with a handle attached might work?

I'm not at the bus, so don't know the size I need. From memory, these seem close!

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/4-deep-full-size-standard-weight-economy-stainless-steel-steam-table-hotel-pan/922STP1004.html

JIM

MY SOLUTION: From the link above from webrestaurantstore, I purchased a bottom pan for a buffet table. Item # 92220069 it is 6" deep @$17.95 + freight of $11.70 total $29.19.
I purchased a stainless drawer handle at Home Depot.
Model, LIBERTY P13456C-SS-C, $5.97.
Mounted handle to top and TA-DAA!

I have ample room around the grill, nowhere near enough to any body panels to be concerned about heat damage.
The handle may need to be isolated from the lid with fiberglass washers or similar to reduce heat transfer, but I will determine that later. No vent holes for now either.

tdelorme
01-22-2010, 06:15 AM
Nice fix Jim. Just think, in about six months you'll be able pull the bus outside and fire up the grill.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
01-22-2010, 03:59 PM
:D
Nice fix Jim. Just think, in about six months you'll be able pull the bus outside and fire up the grill.

Now Ted, that was way damn cold of you to say..:( POOR JIM C. :D

Nice Job Jim with the Hood.

Gary S.

Bill1170
01-22-2010, 06:11 PM
I had a friend who is in the aluminum business fabricate a hood which is just tall enough to stay on the grill when I close it and we put handles on each side. Of coarse it helps to have an aluminum shop near by.
Bill

sticks
01-22-2010, 11:51 PM
nice cover, patent the idea but wait till I copy yours' first!!

hhoppe
01-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Seloubrious job James. My 6 inch deep pan is on order.

Devin W
01-25-2010, 12:00 PM
Jim, that's awesome. Looks like I'll be adding another project --

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-06-2010, 09:44 AM
I'm wanting to transport a 20# propane tank for my new grill and wonder what is the proper method.

I would turn the tank off after every use but I am concerned that the over pressure valve on the tank might leak. I have never had a leaking propane cylinder in a lifetime of use, but I know of those that have had them.
I don't want a "bomb in the bay" so to speak.

What is the law if any about carrying propane and what are the common safeguards to have in place.

Some of you guys have propane on your buses, what are your installations like. If your storage is vented where are the vents and are they assisted by a fan?

If you have a fan does it pressurize the storage compartment and push out any fumes with fresh air?

garyde
09-06-2010, 10:55 AM
Hi Jim. 20 pounds or 20 gallons? My very large grill at home with 6 burners only uses 5 gallon. Usually with trailer RV and and 5th wheels you may see two 10 gallon tanks but they have furnace, hot water heater, stove and oven.
Ken and Janet have a great gas grill in their Coach. I would check with them.

rahangman
09-06-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm wanting to transport a 20# propane tank for my new grill and wonder what is the proper method.

I would turn the tank off after every use but I am concerned that the over pressure valve on the tank might leak. I have never had a leaking propane cylinder in a lifetime of use, but I know of those that have had them.
I don't want a "bomb in the bay" so to speak.

What is the law if any about carrying propane and what are the common safeguards to have in place.

Some of you guys have propane on your buses, what are your installations like. If your storage is vented where are the vents and are they assisted by a fan?

If you have a fan does it pressurize the storage compartment and push out any fumes with fresh air?

Don't be confused. Our bus uses the propane for refrigerator & cook stove, and even after 6 weeks out have never ever had to refill more than 3/4ths!
My refrig is inverterized so we only really use gas for cooking. I have considered getting rid of my small portable grill because like you, I worry about a bomb in the bay (those tiny 1lb bottles) although they do allow for a lot of cooking (for 2). So, with that stated, I turn off the gas till we get "situated" at a campground or if dry camping. Traveling with gas "on" at the tank is a no-no as well as when fueling, and I can't seem to get my loving wife to boil water for pasta while I am driving along, so leave it turned off. To be sure, I will check, but I think the the compartment (shared with W/Htrs) is vented statically, but that would not make even "Liberty" sense as it would allow cold air next to W/Htrs. Hmmm Good questions. Of course you will want a Safety Valve inside the coach , mine is floor level (heavier than air) just below sink/stove and works very well. Lets hear more

Jon Wehrenberg
09-06-2010, 11:30 AM
Back in the day a lot of coaches used propane for not only cooking, but for the various Suburban heaters throughout the coach (in lieu of Webasto), and to operate the Norcold or Dometic three way refrigerators. The tanks installed were typically bulk tanks with capacities in the 50 gallon (not pound) range.

Our first coach was equipped that way and there are some huge advantages to not having an all electric coach because of the propane.

But "all electric" coaches soon became the conversion standard primarily due to the switch to the use of inverters, house size double door refrigerators and the use of Webasto or Aquahot with some Espar units being installed also.

The propane tank installations were not done without a lot of thought about safety. First, the installations I have seen all were in an area that was well ventilated. The tanks themselves were positioned for ease of filling and had shut off valves. In addition on our coach we had a gas leak detector with automatic shutoff installed. I think it was made by Marshall Brass.

I was comfortable with the propane because its mounting area was well vantilated and the compartment was sealed so any potential leak was likely vented overboard. Until a previous owner got creative and did a sloppy job of installing a radio, amplifier and speakers the compartment had no electrical devices or connections.

I don't think carrying a small propane tank is necessarily dangerous if some precautions are taken. First, I want it secured so in the event of a sudden stop like an accident it will not fly around and possibly break off the valve or cause it to leak. I would locate it in a ventilated area. That's it. Knowing Jim's bus two loactions come to mind. The first is in the steer compartment, but I think there is a hose reel there and the space may not be large enough. The second spot is in the OTR condensing compartment well secured to the LH wall. An extreme alternative would be in the first bay in a compartment sealed from the bay itself with a hole in the floor to vent the tank.

Personally, I would stick with the electric grille. Using a risk versus reward calculation I just cannot come up with any substantial thing a gas grill can do that the Jenn Air can't. Apart from the safety aspects of this I think it beomes a huge PITA to have to deal with hooking and unhooking a gas grille.

JIM CHALOUPKA
09-06-2010, 12:01 PM
How large do you think the vent should be?

Would the 4" dia. existing hole be large enough?

Should there be exterior baffles to direct air flow? Possibly an IN hole and an OUT hole or would a 8"x8" screen covered, square vent on the floor under the tank be sufficient?

I am using my defunct outdoor entertainment bay :cool:

JIM :cool: :eek:

Jon Wehrenberg
09-06-2010, 05:17 PM
I have no way of knowing the vent hole opening area. On my first coach the bottom of the bay had 2 3" (guessing) holes with a louvered cap on them.

That propane installation however was permanent and the tank was well secured and it had an automatic propane shutdown device if any was detected.

Gary Carmichael
09-07-2010, 08:47 AM
I carry a 20lb cylinder,with gauge never more than 3/4 full in an old plastic milk crate fits perfect does not move. I make sure nothing can come loose in the bay to hit it. Now as for that grill I would worry that grease would splatter all over the side of the coach, so! I guess I am one of those never used grills. But all is not lost I think I will install a fireplace in it's place a fold down like the TV does. Set out at night looking at the flames, no heat but what the heck.