PDA

View Full Version : Happy New Year

CT-CAMPER
01-01-2010, 10:47 AM
Hi Group, Got our 1st Prevost in Sept ... Love the ride and look forward to getting involved with POG. We bought the rig from Bill Robinson at Robinson Motors, Conover, NC. 2000 H3-45 Vantare 56,000 mile cream puff. Did the maintenance drill: Detroit/Allison - Middletown, CT, Prevost - Plainfield, NJ, Vantare - Sanford, FL and Suncoast Windows - Hudson, FL. Everything is 95% ship shape with the only struggle being a chronic aux air leak. Seems like once you fix a leak, a new weak link leak pops up.

Friend owns a tour bus company in CT with 50+ buses (14 Prevosts): His take is that Prevosts leak and it goes with the territory and will alway be a work in progress. He sees Prevost quick connect fittings a problem with age. Easy for manufacturing but lose airtight contact over time. (he just pulls line out, cuts a fresh edge and sticks it back into fitting; claims it works).

Yes, learning a lot ... specially with the electrical systems ... previous experience with my Country Coach Inspire is not much help with the bus. But getting up to speed technically has been fun and rewarding. Best of all, as a an old CDL driver, I really appreciate the ride. No more white knuckles :eek:

Still work for a living but plan on getting out as much as possible. We did our first Nascar trip to Homestead and liked it. Was told Martinsville is the best track for RV parking ... Anyone going this year?? Give a shout if you're traveling through CT .... Best wishes for the new year.

michaeldterry
01-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Welcome to POG! I know that you're enjoying your first Prevost! We were new to Prevost a year ago this month (previous Silver Eagle owner) and have fallen in love with our '96 Vantare XL-45 to the extent that we even named her! Please use the "User control panel" to construct a signature for your posts with the "basics" (names, year, model, and converter of your bus, etc) along with a picture! It helps us get to know you and is also helpful when/if you have questions or seek input about bus related issues.

Pull on your thick skin and join in the fun! Just remember to give as good as you get and you'll be fine! :p

Happy New Year!

Jon Wehrenberg
01-01-2010, 11:53 AM
Welcome to the asylum CT. As Michael says add a signature with some pertinent poop about your coach, toad and anything else you want to add. The information is because we are very nosy.

Actually if information about the coach and toad is included in the signature line when you ask questions the answers can be framed in relation to your ride. The odds the answers will be correct will not change from "slim to no chance" but we who may answer will be able to make like we know your conversion.

Don't be shy about jumping in and joining the fray. You will quickly learn participating in this free for all only requires the thick skin previously mentioned and a very limited ability to express one's self through the written word. Actually most here can't even read without moving their lips.

MangoMike
01-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Welcome Mike & Colleen,

Always good to see another H3 in the group. Welcome to the dark side.

Joining POG is the best $100 Prevost dollars you'll spend in your bus journeys.

Mango Mike

Will Garner
01-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Mike & Coleen,

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Prevost and of course, POG. There are some very knowledgeable members of POG and then there are ... well some like me. Your challenge is to figure out the difference and come up with the right answers.

As for doing NASCAR, well I go back into the late 1960's and include Martinsville as a favorite for racing (Don't know what its like for Prevost parking as I only went in fast street machines). Well that is until the "New Era" arrived. I was there the fall after Bobby Issac set land speed records at Bonneville with the winged red Dodge Charger #71, K&K Insurance. He was so good and so fast at that race in Martinsville he put the whole field down four laps. Of course they didn't have such things as the "Lucky Dog" free pass, and when a caution came out you raced hard back to the Start Finish line. Ironic that it was Dale Jarrett's spin out on the front stretch at Martinsville, possibly the slowest speed track on the circuit, that brought about the "Lucky Dog" and no racing back to the start finish line. I also worked highway traffic for Rockingham from February 1990 until February 2004. The Rock was also a track that put on a very exciting and close race, except for the couple of years that Kyle Pettty stunk up the joint. Shame it is not on the circuit anymore.

But I digress, I sincerely want to welcome you to POG. I know you will have a wonderful time traveling in your H3. We have been members since 2006 and owners of a 1990 LeMarage XL 40' since 1 January 2007. By the way, we also bought from Bill Robinson. Very nice fellow to deal with.

Will

sawdust_128
01-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Welcome aboard.

truk4u
01-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Welcome Mike & Colleen, keep the posts coming..

Jon Wehrenberg
01-02-2010, 08:01 AM
Mike,

I got to thinking about your comment relating aux air leaks and push type air line connectors. Clearly Prevost has been using those type connectors and the results have been mixed. Some have had few if any problems associated with them, while others have experienced problems and reverted back to the compression type fittings.

But the aux air system, apart from the suspension and door lock is the converter's domain and since I don't know if Vantare also used the push in connectors I cannot comment other than to say if the connectors are your source of aux air leaks the ones associated with the Prevost side will be the easiest ones to find because unlike the converter aux air connections the Prevost ones are visible from beneath the coach.

I would not recommend you take your bus to a service facility and ask them to find your leaks. At least not unless you have an unlimited supply of money. Get your bus raised up as high as it can go, support it properly with good supports at points shown in your book, and slide into the wheel areas (where you can sit up) with a soap bubble bottle, a stethoscope, and some snacks and start seeking leaks. It isn't rocket science, and it gives you a chance to get to know the underside of your coach.

All that plumbing related to the air system may seem daunting, but it is really fairly simple to understand and if you send us nice gifts such as jewelry and expensive tools we will help you understand how things work and what to look for. If you choose to not get personally involved with service or maintenance work on your coach, at least form a relationship with a person or company that understands it and will not be using your money to send all the kids through medical school.

CT-CAMPER
01-02-2010, 09:47 AM
Hi Jon, Yes, I want to work on the coach and learn as much as possible. I resolved a front end leak by reading some of your posts where you suggested exercising the the Norgren values. It worked. For the Aux tank I will do as you suggest and get under the coach. As for blocking the bus will the lift/support points be easy to see? Didn't see info in the operators guide that came with the unit.

Also, what type of stand do you use? is a 20 ton bottle jack OK? I see on Mango Mike's website an air operated bottle jack. What do you think?

Thanks.

GDeen
01-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Mike and Colleen,

Welcome!

I would strongly suggest going to the Prevost online technical manual resource and downloading all the documents related to your vintage and model bus..http://prevostparts.volvo.com/technicalpublications/en/manuel.asp

You will see the jack support points illustrated in the chassis manual I believe. I put together a book with paper copies of all the information there for all the systems which has been really handy. I think Jon said before it is much easier to take paper copies under the bus when working on things than a laptop.

There are a number of threads here on proper support of the bus while working on it. Suffice it to say, I would use overkill when deciding on how much rated support to use under there - particularly when fooling with the air system. There are 20 ton jack stands available commercially if you look for them but they are pretty expensive. This is a case though where you don't want to cut any corners.

Jon Wehrenberg
01-02-2010, 02:10 PM
Mike,

This is important so take this advice very seriously.

Locate and learn where the Prevost body support points are for your coach. Gordon's link will help you with that, but if there is any doubt call Prevost. Supporting the coach while you are under it is very critical and it must be done properly.

Some of us use stands that were built for the specific purpose of supporting the coach. My daughter made them in her factory. Unfortunately it was a single run and there are none currently available. As an alternative consider using bottle jacks with an adjustable center screw of adequate tonnage. Make certain that they are tall enough so that with the jack in the fully collapsed position, but with the center screw turned up that it contacts the support points. That way you are not risking a failure of the hydraulic portion of the jack when you are under the coach. I also use air over hydraulic jacks that I got at Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97704) and they work well. The example I show via the link may not be the right jack, but it gives you the idea. They are also available at Northern Tool.

Once you do get under the coach and start looking around try to understand some basics. There is no air on the brake system when the bus is parked and you are not applying the service brake. If you want to check brake system connections for leaks you need to release the parking brake (chock the wheels) and have a helper apply the service brakes. That is the only way to apply pressures to the primary and secondary brake systems.

The aux air system associated with the suspension has air on it, but not on all fittings. When driving and in the driving position the air travels through the ride height valves via the 5 port Norgren valves, when the engine is off the 5 port Norgren valves lock the air in the air bags, and in the manual position, such as when leveling the 5 port Norgren is in the circuit to either deliver air to the air bags, or to discharge air from the air bags.

The suspension system on the bus is not one big system, but three separate independent supensions (front, left rear, and right rear) that happen to share an auxiliary air supply.

The points to seek leaks are varied. If the bus sits without leaning for long periods don't spend a lot of time looking at the suspension. Chances are good that it is OK. Keep in mind the aux air pressure can go to zero and the suspension could hold air quite well. The reverse is also true.

Places we have found leaks often are the pressure regulator in the rear above the door that controls engine belt tension. The belt tensioner bellows have leaked. The ISRI seat has had issues with the lumbar control switches. The floor slide cylinders leak from time to time.

For converter installed air circuits if you can plug the air supply to each until you find out which one you plug minimizes or stops the air leaks.

Look for leaks at air operated pocket doors if you have them.

Cold weather will make leaks show up quicker. Once you get the coach to a near leak free status such as the aux air compressor only runs once a day, it is easy to maintain that level of condition. Most owners let the little things accumulate then you are not chasing a single issue but many little ones.

Have fun, but be safe. Never ever go under the bus unless it is supported. I have a pit in my garage and even with the pit I will not get in the pit without having the bus supported.

garyde
01-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Hi Mike. some people have made ramps out of plywood laminated together instead of using Jacks and stands. Whatever you decide, make sure your wheels are blocked and you are on a sound and level surface.

Alek&Lucia
01-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Welcome Mike, Welcome Colleen,

How nice to see another H3 in the POG bunch as a member :)
I know Bill Robinson, he had on his lot 1997 Liberty XL 45' few years ago which I liked very, very much. It was updated with many upgrades by Millennium Coach, but we decided to purchase our H3-45 Royale instead.
Very happy with our decision, H3 has some kind of magic to it ( incoming ) !
I know some members like H3's so much, that they had XL and purchased H3 to have 2 Prevost buses ( right MikeM ;) )

The link below is to the '97 Liberty that we looked few years ago:
http://www.rvonline.com/single-ad.asp?Recnumber=46750

Alek

parksincpp
01-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Welcome, Mike and Colleen