PDA

View Full Version : Hercules (SP)

Terry J. Sturgis
12-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Going to look at a 2000 XL40. The owner says it is a Hercules conversion. The title says 2000 but it has an 8V92 so the chassis is probably pre 1994.
Anyone know about the Hercules converter? Thanks!

lonesome george
12-30-2009, 11:40 AM
I have never heard of a converter named Hercules and a year 2000 title with a 8V92, look at this one with eye's wide open.

Guessing this bus may have been an entertainer converted to a RV or a seated coach converted to a RV and retitled after the conversion. The VIN # will be a good place to start the investigation.

Russell Coachworks
12-30-2009, 11:57 AM
I have never heard of a converter named Hercules. As George said previously, look at the VIN # and research the unit that way. Again like George said, "look at this one with eye's wide open." I second that one 100%!!! Be cautious because an 8V92 with a 2000 title sounds completely off base. I would not think this coach has been an entertainer and then converted to an RV, as we have been in the entertainer bus business for 15 years and again never heard of Hercules. Be smart and really investigate this unit! Is a private individual selling this coach? Keep us updated after you go and see it!
Rob Russell
www.russellcoach.com

sawdust_128
12-30-2009, 01:13 PM
I read about these folks on one of the bus converter pages

http://www.herculesvanbodies.com/About-Us/profile.html

They have a long history and started out as the Brighton Buggy company in Chicago. Here's their history which goes back to a tie-in to the Sears and Roebuck origins in the 1890's

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/h/hercules/hercules.htm

Now with all that worthlessnes, you got the best advice already EYES OPEN. Here's my addition CHECKBOOK LEFT AT HOME.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-31-2009, 07:35 AM
I wouldn't even cross the street to look at a coach described as a 2000 with an 8V92 and listed as a Hercules conversion.

My reasons are simple. The original piece of information is a lie. If it was described as a 1993 with an 8V92 converted in 2000 I would know the seller was not playing fast and loose with the facts.

In today's market there is absolutely no need to go off the reservation when looking for a good motorhome conversion because prices are so depressed there is no advantage. I would stick with a motorhome conversion on a shell that was never in commercial service. End of story.

Nothing against Hercules BTW. They may do a fine conversion, but I would never know because I would not be able to get past the original deception.

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-31-2009, 08:59 AM
Very well put Jon, my sentiments exactly, but I couldn't think of as nice a way to say it.

JIM

Jon Wehrenberg
12-31-2009, 02:15 PM
It may be a fine coach, but in today's market there are a lot of fine coaches for sale. I have seen conversions described much like Terry described this one and when I have looked at the photos there hasn't been a single one that hasn't looked like it was rode hard and put away wet.

I looked at one for a POG member once that on the surface sounded pretty good. I looked at it and took photos, but as soon as the back end of my pickup cleared the gate on the dealers lot I called my fellow POG member and said don't give this coach any further consideration.

If the truth be known we who have conversions by Country, Marathon, Liberty, Vantare, Parliament, Vogue, etc. are used to a pretty high standard for the conversion and our conversions are not done on coaches that have seen commercial service. Our standards may be higher than most, but I haven't heard anybody yet wish they had bought a converted commercial coach.