PDA

View Full Version : Officially took the Prevost Plunge...HELP?!?

GSwaim
12-30-2009, 12:54 AM
:o Well fellow Prevost owners, I finally took the plunge today and purchased a 2002 Prevost XL2-40 converted by Marathon. I have much to learn and much to do to this bus to make it perfect so I'll have many questions. My first questions are about Batteries, tires and getting work done.

Q1 - I'm in need of 6 new AGM house batteries. I understand POGs like me can get a discount. How do I go about doing that?

Q2 - the tires on this unit are the originals I'm told and have 56K miles on them. How do I read the date codes. This bus spend much of it's time in a clomate control garage so the tires look completely brand new with no scuffing or cracking so I'm looking to figure out their true age.

Q3 - I'm about to take the coach to Marathon factory facility in Beaumont California for a complete going over stem to stern. Anyone have experience with them?

Q4 - after that I'll be looking for a Prevost shop to go through the Chassis to inspect everything. What is the best Prevost shop in the SW?

Q5 - I'm still working on how to lessen or elliminate my sale tax. I'm a South Dakota resident since we fulltime, any suggestions?

BTW, I have a beautiful 2008 HR Navigator 45 foot Quadslide coach for sale. Well that's what's on my plate for now, any reccommendations or suggestions would be welcome & appreciated.

Gary & Karen Swaim
www.swaimquest.com
(619) 300-3114

rahangman
12-30-2009, 02:27 AM
From one Newbie to another, welcome aboard. Looks like I may be the first POG to do the honors of welcome. Everyone will want you to post a pic and info for your Avatar and that helps us to know what conversion,model,etc to help in solving problems, and you will have a problem somewhere. Thats where these POGS are of great help. Not only friendly, but extremely knowledgeable of these vehicles. Enjoy your bus, its just another beginning:)

michaeldterry
12-30-2009, 05:00 AM
Congratulations on your new Prevost, Gary and Karen! You're in for the time of your life (and that's a good thing!). Please post pictures of your new Marathon and tell us a little about yourselves (we're a curious bunch!). Put your bus vitals in your sig (signature) and that will preempt a lot of questions when you post looking for help/advice/opinions.

Welcome to the incredible world of Prevost ownership and POG!

James
12-30-2009, 05:57 AM
Welcome, Gary & Karen,

We also have a Marathon conversion and love it.

Here's a link to the Michelin site that will explain tire date codes as well as information on when you should change your tires.
http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/toolbox/reference-material.jsp

We've visited both the Prevost and Marathon shops in California and were very pleased with the reception. We're headed to the Prevost facility in Mira Loma in a week or so to have some work done, perhaps we'll see you there.

jack14r
12-30-2009, 06:00 AM
For batteries just call Lifeline and tell them that you are a Pog member,you need to know what type of terminals your current batteries have.

jack14r
12-30-2009, 06:03 AM
To avoid taxes form a Montana LLC with Bennett Law 866-543-5803 and then title the coach in the Montana LLC.

tdelorme
12-30-2009, 07:11 AM
Welcome to the forum. For engine and transmission work, you can't do better than United Engines. http://www.unitedengines.com/

Jon Wehrenberg
12-30-2009, 08:55 AM
:o Well fellow Prevost owners, I finally took the plunge today and purchased a 2002 Prevost XL2-40 converted by Marathon. I have much to learn and much to do to this bus to make it perfect so I'll have many questions. My first questions are about Batteries, tires and getting work done.

Q1 - I'm in need of 6 new AGM house batteries. I understand POGs like me can get a discount. How do I go about doing that?

Q2 - the tires on this unit are the originals I'm told and have 56K miles on them. How do I read the date codes. This bus spend much of it's time in a clomate control garage so the tires look completely brand new with no scuffing or cracking so I'm looking to figure out their true age.

Q3 - I'm about to take the coach to Marathon factory facility in Beaumont California for a complete going over stem to stern. Anyone have experience with them?

Q4 - after that I'll be looking for a Prevost shop to go through the Chassis to inspect everything. What is the best Prevost shop in the SW?

Q5 - I'm still working on how to lessen or elliminate my sale tax. I'm a South Dakota resident since we fulltime, any suggestions?

BTW, I have a beautiful 2008 HR Navigator 45 foot Quadslide coach for sale. Well that's what's on my plate for now, any reccommendations or suggestions would be welcome & appreciated.

Gary & Karen Swaim
www.swaimquest.com
(619) 300-3114

Welcome to the asylum. I know you belong in one because you expect to get advice from this bunch. Good luck on that.

I will attempt to answer your questions. Your challenge will be to attempt to figure out if I am lying.

1. The advice on the batteries was alread given and it was correct. Having just replaced a set if you are close to GA you also might want to see if Truk can do better. If you are a long distance from northern GA go direct to Lifeline.

When you install them make certain your inverters are set for the proper charging. The batteries come with an "owner's manual" and if your inverters are set right and you don't let your batteries discharge deeply you should get 5+ years out of them.

2. If they are original look for your build date if the date codes are not visible. At this point they are past the age where the manufacturer will offer any warranty. Michelin has a series of photos of acceptable sidewall cracking. I don't know if it is on the web site, but I am sure a dealer has the photos. Having said that, what you do not know is if the previous owner ever drove with any of the tires 20% or more low on pressure. For that reason and the probability those tires were installed in 2001 or 2002 I would replace them. (I especially like spending other people's money. Batteries plus tires equals big bucks.)

3 & 4. What exactly do you expect of Marathon and Prevost that you cannot do yourself? Seriously. If you read the owner's manual, learn how to operate everything, you test every switch, knob, dial and control and stuff works what are they going to do that you have not done except vacuum your wallet? If you can figure out how to install electronics stuff, there is nothing on these coaches that is going to be a problem learning. Again, where are you located? Maybe another owner near you can help you go over your coach. At its age I would not expect it to need anything such as brakes or hub seals, but in your checking you may find it has some minor problems like the leans but that is stuff that can be easily addressed.

What you should do unless you have all the service records is zero out the maintenance. All fluids, filters, belts, etc. (There I go spending your money again.)

5. Pay the tax. You'll sleep better. (Spending more of your money.)

Once you have gone over the coach yourself, brought everything up to date such as batteries and tires, and have used the coach for a while then you will know what it needs and by spending time asking questions here you will not be as apt to be spending a lot of money at Camp Prevost or Marathon. One thing to remember. Prevost and Marathon are geared to charging serious money for what they do. If you bring your coach in and say "check it over" you have just entered the exact same arena as the new owner that has just stroked a $1.5 million dollar check for his new coach. Spending serious money to have Marathon or Prevost "check it over" as a percentage of what is invested is chump change for a new coach. Those costs do not go down as the coach ages. They go up.

dreamchasers
12-30-2009, 10:02 AM
Gary,

Welcome to POG!

I would certainly take the message Jon is giving with good thought. I was one of those that originally thought that taking my bus to Prevost was the ultimate answer. My thoughts that a Prevost facility was filled with Prevost experts was quickly dampened after the first visit and the two return visits to accomplish repairs. What does separate Prevost facilities from most other "big rig shop" is the facilities. Prevost has done a very nice job in investing in their buildings.

I certainly do not want to "Prevost Bash" this morning. If interested in my experiences, do a search on the forum.

On the bright side, I sure do love driving my bus. After owning an American Eagle for several years, the Prevost is a very, very noticeable upgrade.

If you are looking for Prevost advise, you have come to the right place.

Good Luck,

Hector

Coloradobus
12-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Gary and Karen, Welcome.
You must have purchased your coach from Freedom RV Tucson. If so, and I am sure of it, you have Marathon Coach 750. Its the remaining of 2, 2002, XLII 40's that Marathon built.
Ray Davis on this forum can explain what happen to the other 2002, XLII 40
Marathon made one XLII in 2001, and that bus is on this forum.,Hi Elliott
Marathon made 5 2003 XLII40's, but I don't know where most are. I know one is in DS Indio, Coach 839
There is one, 2004.
So, you are in a unique club of XLII 40's within a Unique Club of bus owners.
Have fun.
We use Stewart Stevenson, they are nationwide. Our shop in Commerce City, Colorado works very well for us local conversion owners. Todd is svr mgr.303-287-7441
A word of advice at Maration Beaumont, or any other Marathon facility. When identifying an issue, get an estimate of what they will charge. This question puzzle some shops, since they aren't used to it.
Prevost has several tiers of service, always ask what the level of service entails, ex engine service, several different levels and price to match. Just make sure you get what your paying for,.
Also, when having service done, NEVER LEAVE THE BUS if at all possible.
Time the tech at particular tasks and then compare to billing statement.
Be an active overseer, and that will hopefully keep a shop on their toes. As was said above, some owners, with new coaches just drop them off and say "fix it",. and the bill will reflect that freelance approach.
Above all don't let these things get you down, for your going to have more fun and meet so many great people, the time of learning and some money will be well spent.

GDeen
12-30-2009, 07:06 PM
Welcome! Is that the "sea-foam green" (Jennifer color definition 40 footer? Very nice looking bus if so and we visited with the dealer about it for a while during our search.

As another new owner, excellent suggestions here. Learn as much as possible, and as C.Bus says, don't let problems get you down. Its all good.:cool:

jimshoen
12-30-2009, 07:34 PM
Regarding Q3, you may want to use the coach for a little while before turning it over for a 'stem to stern'. Most issues can easily be dealt with. However, if you insist, your back account will be lighten.

garyde
12-31-2009, 02:24 AM
Congradulations on you purchase. You will find, if you haven't aready, POG members are very happy to help you spend your money. On the other hand, Jon and others are correct, you can save big bucks by taking it slow and determining who should work on your coach. If your tires are 02 or 03 tires I would replace them no matter how good they look.
A detroit Deisel /Allison dealer can do most of your chasis and engine /transmission work usually so don't feel restricted to use Prevost or Marathon.

mikedee
01-01-2010, 12:41 AM
I like the Prevost center in Mira Loma. As with any place the quality of the work often is directly related to who works on the bus. Ask the service writer, Dee to have "Little Tony" do the work. He works on the swing shift and gets it done and done right.

Tony was trained in the military on helicopters and it show's. He will treat your bus like an AH-64 Apache when it comes to detail.

Best of all he get to work, not true for all the Mira Loma staff. Mention my name he is a very good friend of Dee and myself.

Loc
01-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Welcome Gary and Karen and congratulations on your new bus.

It is great to have folks with your background on POG. There are always a number of questions on satellite systems and HD versus non-HD that come up. You are now the resident experts.

Do you travel around with the business of generally stay in a set number of locations?

GSwaim
03-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Hey gang, we decided to pass on the Marathon and go with a beautiful Royale. We have had it for four weeks now and it is simple and easy to get accustom to. For those that don't know us, our previous coach was a 2008 fourty five foot, four slide HR Navigator. The royale is a 45 foot no slide by choice and other than a smaller kitchen we haven't felt the crunch for space.

Karen, my wife loves to cook so the smaller kitchen will need to be optomized to make it efficient. We plan to upgrade the cooktop and all some organization to the cupboards sor pots and pan storage as well as supply storage. Does anyone have any suggestions on what type of cooktop to go with? We are looking at the Induction style of cooktop that requires metalic pans but heat instantly or go with the new ceramic radiant heat style cooktop that heats & cools fast with any type of pan. :rolleyes: Any suggestions?

Wahoo
03-21-2010, 04:11 PM
Hi
We installed a ceramic cooktop in January of 2009 and I love it.
I too love to cook and it has worked out very well.
Good luck

GSwaim
05-25-2010, 08:41 AM
We have decided to have Phoenix Royale install a flush mount ribbon element ceramic 3 burner cooktop in our bus. It has taken us a long time to decide on the cooktop unit to use and we are hoping this is the right choice. The reasons we are doing this is we have very little counter space with the cooktop cover off and the old princess cooktop take forever to heat and cool. By going with a 3 burner we can save the original counter and cut out the recessed part that currently holds the two burner. This will allow us to install a flush mounted cooktop that has no knobs so it will double as a counter when not in use. Seaward Princess not only uses the new ribbon element that heats to full temp in 5 seconds but has a internal fan that cools the cook top faster after your done cooking.

We've decided to not install this ourselves because the old Centurian counter top material is 8 years old and probably very brittle. If we crack or destroy the counter we're on the hook to replace the whole thing if Phoenix Royale does it, they have the responsibility. Then there is the possibility that the current wire to the cooktop is insuficient so a new one must be pulled. It will be a good learning lesson to see the Royale experts handle this. I've been looking for a project that will show me their work so this fits the bill nicely.

Coloradobus
05-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Gary, We have slowpoke electric cooktop as well. We were considering going to propane, but your install sounds interesting. What model and serial number is the Seaward Princess are you using

dmatz
05-26-2010, 05:21 PM
Congratulations on your coach. You will be happy with the Royal Phoenix folks. They know all about your coach and have been a great resource for information and parts.

GSwaim
05-26-2010, 10:58 PM
From all the searching and reading I've done there are two major glass cooktop technologies. Induction and ceramic radiant. The induction is probably the best for a small kitchen because only the pan heats up not the cooktop. It does however take a special set of pans to work. The ceramic has two types of burners, radiant and ribbon. The ribbon heats almost instant but does take some time to cool. The seaward unit has a coolig fan to lessen the cool down.

Karen and I are gpoing with a seaward Pricess ceramic cooktop. The model we ordered is not available any longer and is quite pricey but it was just what we were looking for. Is their lite touch model with no knobs and we are having it put in directly under the microwave but flush mounted into the counter top. We are doing this because we would like a bigger counter and the ceramic glass top will double as counter space when not cooking. We are going with the 3 burner model which is larger and probably why it is discontinues because it give you two big burners set in each corner which allows two larger pans to be used simultaeously. We probably will never use all the burners at the same time. I'll take photos once it's done.