PDA

View Full Version : I found an air system leak!

mike kerley
12-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Yeh, no big deal, but its been bugging me for weeks. My main and aux air gauges were leaking down to zero overnight. I had checked under the coach and all around for leaks and found nothing. Finally pulled the panel the gauges were mounted in and found a leaking line about 12" back (1.8" line) from one gauge. Replaced it (patched with brass in line fitting) and found it slowed the leak but not stopped it.

I then discovered both gauges were leaking around the lines as they "plugged" into the gauges. Pulled them, took the fittings off and removed the lines, shortened and reinstalled. No joy, still leaking. Attempted to purchase new fittings at NAPA, but no luck (counter man said "they never fail"), so ordered from "Fitting Supply" on line, two 66PC-2-2 copper 1/8" pipe to tube fittings, changed and no more leaks.

Air tanks hang right in there and I have one less concern! Sorry, no pictures.

dreamchasers
12-28-2009, 06:12 PM
Mike,

Air Leaks are close and dear to all Prevost owners, especially mine.

I remember running down several leaks in my braking system, with the leaks in the dash gauges very similar to yours. It sure does feel good when you can locate and correct these small pesky leaks. I think there is no such thing as a "leak free" Prevost suspention system, but with enough effort "near leak free" can be acheived.

http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?t=2764&highlight=air+leak

I do remember you post on the 12 volt verses 24 volt alternator on your Country Coach. I had already purchased a 24 alternator anticipating replacing the alternator because of oil leaks. Thanks for posting the alternator issue concerning us Country Coach owners. It saved me "mucho" of hassle.

Have a great day.

Hector

GDeen
12-28-2009, 07:03 PM
Had a slow leak off occurring on my belt tensioners which after a couple of checks, I could not locate. About a month ago while digging around in the engine bay on another task, I heard a very small hssss near my ear and inadvertently found the leak. It was so small it was very hard to see even when soaped. Repaired the fitting and now all is well. I understand the elation in finding the source of the problem!

Orren Zook
02-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Say, does anyone know the recommended air pressure for the belt tensioner?

phorner
02-17-2010, 04:24 PM
Congrats, Mike!

It's always a great feeling to have made an improvement to the bus, and especially so when it come to air leaks.

Personally, I am very happy to settle for the aux compressor to come on once or twice in a 24 hour period. If I can ever to get it to go several days between compressor starts, I'll be ecstatic.

Kevin Erion
02-17-2010, 06:10 PM
Orren, I think it's 45psi

Orren Zook
02-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks Kevin!

parksincpp
02-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Say, does anyone know the recommended air pressure for the belt tensioner?

45 to 50 psi

parksincpp
02-17-2010, 11:14 PM
I jumped the gun and answered before I saw Kevin's reply. Sorry about that.

Orren Zook
02-18-2010, 07:57 AM
I jumped the gun and answered before I saw Kevin's reply. Sorry about that.

Thanks Scott, I dialed it in last night.

Kevin Erion
02-18-2010, 09:04 AM
Scott, always good to get that info from the source, don't ever hesitate to correct or add to my posts. I just guess at this stuff!