PDA

View Full Version : Problems with 110 electrical side

nrhareiner
12-28-2009, 07:16 AM
Good morning everyone. I tried to help a friend last night with an electrical problem. He has an 01 Vantare H3-45. Yesterday he tried to get ready for a trip and found many of the 110 side electrical functions not working. This includes all HVAC functions, wall outlets, washer, microwave etc. They did work one week ago, and there has been no other problems prior to this.

Here is what I found: there is good power coming from shore connection, there is good power to both legs, the problem is present when on shore power or generator, the inverters function normally, there is no difference if the master rotary switches are in normal, shore, or generator position, all circuit breakers are good on the bus side, any of the circuit breakers that go through the push button control panel in the galley are "cold" on the output side (whether the push button is on or off in galley), all circuit breakers that are not controlled by the galley push buttons are hot on the output side.

Now going into the bay number 2 drivers side I found the box that goes to the push buttons in the galley. In that box are many circuit boards, but they all seem to work correctly with red lights when push button off in galley and green when push button on. There is power leaving that box. While I cannot check each function separately, they appear to be correct.

The output of this "box" goes into a "square d" Power Interface Module model number nqod142asp-e. This module connects to the circuit breakers that are the problem. I have no personal knowledge about this Power Interface Module. My search on the internet did not help much.

Any help would be appreciated. My Vantare XLII does not have this module, and in fact is very different in how the 110 electrical is set up.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Since I have zero knowledge of how Vantare has set up its electrical systems I can only ask questions.

Do the affected circuits pass through one of the inverters? If so, the inverter can function properly as an inverter, but its internal transfer switch may be at fault.

If the inverter is easily accessed it is not difficult to check for output.

nrhareiner
12-28-2009, 08:11 AM
Hello Jon,

Thank you for the reply. I did that, and both inverters are functioning normally. Also, when the rotary switch is set to completely bypass the inverters the bus still has the same problems. Wit the switch set into that position, the inverters are out of the loop, no power in or out.

truk4u
12-28-2009, 08:43 AM
Sounds like the main transfer switch has failed and not allowing power to pass through on gen or shore. I re-read the post, is there house power when on inverters only and gen and shore is off?

nrhareiner
12-28-2009, 09:10 AM
All circuits function normally except those that pass through this power interface module. An example is the refer. This is on and working normally whether on shore, inverter, or gen set. However, microwave that has a button that passes through the module cannot be turned on on any of the shore, inverter, or gen set.

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Is there a GFI gone bad in that circuit?

JIM

nrhareiner
12-28-2009, 09:51 AM
We have checked as best as possible all of the GFI outlets. However, the main RVAC system (it has a central system) also not getting any 110. That certainly should not be on a single GFI since ti has a 30 amp breaker.

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-28-2009, 11:25 AM
Kim, not sure what you meant about not much luck with the power module data,

Here are some links I found.

Possibly you might find a SQ-D dealer and purchase one to exchange.
Buy two and have a spare.:D Just kidding they look expensive!:eek:

http://static.schneider-electric.us/docs/Power%20Management/Lighting%20Control/Obsolete%20Product%20Documentation/63249-201-200.pdf

http://www.sztops.com/squared/power%20monitor.pdf

http://ecatalog.squared.com/techlib/docdetail.cfm?oid=090089268011a6c9

JIM

Jeff Bayley
12-28-2009, 12:56 PM
I had the exact same symptoms several months ago and I could reference the thread for you but it would be a lot of reading to boil down to this. After pulling my hair out, it wound up being a fried wire between the inverters and the main circuit breaker box. It took a lot of poking around with the volt meter to finally narrow it down. I got lucky and found the burnt wire right off the bad when I uncovered the first of several of the covers at the baseboard that conceal a multitude of wires. If this is also your problem, finding your broken circuit (it's possible it could be a connection somewhere and not a broken wire) would likely be a bit harder and you might have to identify the suspect wire at each point you dig (tone it out ?) and that might tell you whether to keep probing fore or aft.

I went ahead and found part of the thread where I forgot that I had posted photos of the issue. http://forum.prevostownersgroup.com/showthread.php?t=3858

nrhareiner
12-28-2009, 04:47 PM
Jeff thanks and I will talk to the owners about that. Jim thank you for the references, I will look into that. I do not know what the owners are going to want to do at this point.