PDA

View Full Version : Aux Air Compressor Replacement

Johnny
12-27-2009, 07:46 PM
I am currently using a 12v ViAir 460c compressor for my aux air supply. I want to replace it with a quieter unit. Any recommendations.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-28-2009, 06:29 AM
It would help if you posted in your signature info about your coach. All compressors tend to be a little noisy, but some are enclosed in a box that minimizes that noise. Knowing your conversion could prompt other owners of the same conversion to jump in and discuss how or if they have dealt with the noise.

Johnny
12-28-2009, 06:46 AM
I forgot to mention it can be either 12v dc or 110v ac.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-28-2009, 07:40 AM
The pump on my current Liberty has a box enclosure. While the noise is noticeable it is muted compared to the previous Liberty compressor installation. The box is of plywood with a 3/4" (guessing at the thickness) foam sound deadening. The pump is a 120V.

I'm not sure the voltage is as important as the type of compressor and the sound deadening. I have not seen any rotary screw compressors in the small size used for our coaches. They tend to be the quietest. The piston type typically available can have some noise reduction by muffling the air intake. If the entire compressor is encased in some sound deadening enclosure there has to be given some consideration to heat. The nature of compressing air will create heat and excess heat will damage the compressor, so step one is to tighten up the coach air system to minimize the compressor run time.

Some folks have used the readily available pancake compressor and tank assemblies tied into the aux air system, but if you go that route make sure there is a check valve or protection valve in the connection because the tanks and hoses are unlikely to be DOT quality.

jack14r
12-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Try the Gast compressors from WW Graingers, they make 12V and 110V and they are fairly quiet.

ajducote
12-28-2009, 09:51 AM
I ordered a SUPER SILENT 50-TC from:
http://www.dixieart.com/SilentaireIllustration.html

This is almost as quite as a Junn-Aire, but cost about half as much

Steve Bennett
12-28-2009, 08:39 PM
We recently put in a JunAir compressor. They are virtualy silent, but they are EXPENSIVE. Some of the converters have used them. Ours was $800.00 for a 120V unit. Ours is installed in the front compartment below the driver station, and I cannot hear it run. I will look up the info & send you a private e-mail with the model number.

just2
12-30-2009, 11:06 AM
Johnny, I just replaced my Aux Air Compressor back in May. I had a JunAir like Steve had it was very quite. But like Steve the $800.00 for it is a lot of money. In researching and looking for a replacement unit. I found a company in Houston Texas that has a unit that is form, fit and function to the $800.00 JunAir for only $395.00. Works great. The company is Silentaire Technology a div of Werther International. The salesman name is Jesse and his number is 832-327-7452. This is a great little tankless unit. The part number C1607 that is the compressor motor only if you need a tank it would be more. I have a Liberty and my Aux Air goes into the bus air system tank. It is important to understand that is compressor is very quite but does get a little warm doing operation. So it needs to be placed in an area that it can get a little air around it. This company uses the same internal parts as the JunAir but charge about half the price. It is also very important to use the correct type of oil in this unit it is a 10 WHT oil, not easy to find, but you can order it from them. The unit comes dry and you need to buy the oil (part number 15280) at a cost of $22.50 a bottle. I would get 2 so you would have a bottle to spare. Their Web site is www.silentaire.com Good luck if I can answer any questions for you in more detail give me a call at 972-523-9727.

Johnny
01-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into getting the JUNAIR or SILENTAIRE as a replacement.
Happy New Year

Wahoo
01-06-2010, 04:39 PM
I am looking for a replacement too. I was quoted $2801.66 for a Jun-Air. The super silent 50TC was suggested as a less expensive alternative at $799. Parliament has fitted the 50TC with good luck. I plan to have one installed in a couple of weeks.
Where can you get a Jun-Air for $800?

Steve Bennett
01-06-2010, 07:09 PM
I purchased a Jun-Air model 3 1/4H.P. 120 V compressor from Pacific Air Technology in Mission Viejo, CA for $770.30 on 4/8/09. Their phone #is (949) 855-9343. I had to purchase the pressure switch separately, I think it was about $120.00.