PDA

View Full Version : Idea Hunting

rahangman
12-26-2009, 12:47 PM
We are about to give up on this "Storm" even here in Arkansas. Cold is Cold. Can we get an idea or two from POG about a trip SOUTH to Texas , probably South of Houston to get to see some Salt Water, Sunshine, & Sand? Having never been that direction before, any campgrounds (realize heavy travel time) but need to get some sun/warm then head to Colorado to see kids/grandkids we could not get to over Christmas. Wife is getting antsy. :D

Kenneth Brewer
12-26-2009, 01:15 PM
We are about to give up on this "Storm" even here in Arkansas. Cold is Cold. Can we get an idea or two from POG about a trip SOUTH to Texas , probably South of Houston to get to see some Salt Water, Sunshine, & Sand? Having never been that direction before, any campgrounds (realize heavy travel time) but need to get some sun/warm then head to Colorado to see kids/grandkids we could not get to over Christmas. Wife is getting antsy. :D

We are relatively new residents of Texas, and only recently became natural born and raised Texans. It would seem you will have to travel considerably south of Houston to consider it warm, really, if you mean now. I would try South Padre Island (but we haven't been there yet), in the Brownsville area. Or Corpus Christi area if you want a closer beach area, at the Gulf Waters Beachfront Resort RV Park, www.gulfrv.com, that we found to be nice and highly recommended (see rvparkreviews.com). Corpus Christi is about 250 miles from Houston, and South Padre about 400.

If Loc comes online over these holidays I know he, for one, has far more information. In any event, consider going through SA on the way to Colorado, swinging through Big Bend NP if you have lots of time and don't mind the considerable added mileage. Contact me, if you like, about getting to Colorado from around here (SA). You most likely will be going through NM.

aggies09
12-26-2009, 01:23 PM
If you want warm and beaches worth seeing, you will need to go all the way to South Padre. I don't have a great recommendation on RV Parks. The only class A park that I know of in the Rio Grande Valley is Bentsen Palm in Mission. That is about an hour drive to the beach at South Padre. Bentsen Palm has a website that can show you details on the park.

Good luck.

Scott T
12-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Roger
Why don't you join us at Llano Grande Lake Park Resort and Country Club. www.llanogranderesort.com Reservation number 800-656-2638. Will be there Monday late afternoon. Leaving Calgary for Dallas tomorrow. We have had our share of snow and cold for 2009, time for a warm up.
Scott T

tdelorme
12-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Rodger, I'm born and raised Texan and proud of just about everything this great state has to offer EXCEPT the beaches. They are just plain ugly and dirty. There may be a few spots where you can swim and not get covered in tar/oil, but we never found them. For beaches, go to Florida.
You might find some warmer weather south of San Antonio, but Interstate 10 down that way can go bad in a hurry. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

merle&louise
12-26-2009, 06:00 PM
Rodger,

If you want a beautiful beach try Destin, Florida. There are several nice campgrounds listed in Big Rigs Best Bets guide.

michaeldterry
12-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Rodger,

If you want a beautiful beach try Destin, Florida. There are several nice campgrounds listed in Big Rigs Best Bets guide.

In my opinion, Destin, FL has some of the most beautiful beachfront in the world (and that includes Waikiki in Hawaii). I'm not a big "beach guy", but Destin is my favorite!