PDA

View Full Version : My new home for my prevost is almost completed

Prevost1111
12-14-2009, 10:10 PM
Hello friends I need you great advice and help again. My bus barn is getting ready to be wired. Would you folks please give me the correct info on how the 50amp service box should be wired. I am getting very confused, which is not hard to do for me when it comes to electricity, and want to make sure that the electrician is doing it right. Things like is a 220v or 240v things that just don't make much sense to me. Your help would be very much appreciated. I just want to make sure it's wired correctly.

thanks and merry xmas to all

Mike

Ray Davis
12-14-2009, 10:15 PM
Googling "50A RV wiring" will get you many hits.

Here's a couple: http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/50-amp Service.pdf

http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/50amp_Service.htm

It's crucial to understand that a 50A circuit is really TWO 50A circuits wired such that you can get 240V across the two power pins. Each 120V leg is capable of 50A, therefore you actually have 100A with this service.

In comparison, a 30A service is a single leg 30A, total.

Ray

garyde
12-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Hi Mike. I always say to hire a licensed Electrical Contractor to install anything electrical. You did'nt say if you already had power to the barn and what amperage and voltage was there now. If you want 50 amps for the Coach, you should have adequate additional power for plugs, lights, and whatever else you need for the barn. Also, depending upon the distance from your power source, ie; meter panel, you may need to have the sub-feed wire size calculated for voltage drop. finally, make sure you have a grounded panel at the barn with ground rods, foundation and steel ground, and water ground if available. All of this a licensed electrical contractor would be capable of designing and installing.

tdelorme
12-15-2009, 07:13 AM
Mike, use the links Ray provided and print out the wiring diagram. Ask the electrician if he if familiar with 50 amp RV service and hand him the wiring diagram. When he finishes the install, the first thing you should plug in is your Progressive surge protector.
If you don't already have the electrical service run to the bus barn, have a 100 amp main panel installed.

hobobimmer
12-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Hello friends I need you great advice and help again. My bus barn is getting ready to be wired. Would you folks please give me the correct info on how the 50amp service box should be wired. I am getting very confused, which is not hard to do for me when it comes to electricity, and want to make sure that the electrician is doing it right. Things like is a 220v or 240v things that just don't make much sense to me. Your help would be very much appreciated. I just want to make sure it's wired correctly.

thanks and merry xmas to all

Mike

If you don't already have your campbox, I would strongly encourage you to get one made by Jamestown Advanced Products of Jamestown, NY. They are a POG sponsor. We have one inside our barn and one outside our barn (for visitors) made by Jamestown Advanced Products, and they're solid as a rock.

Eric Faires
Huntsville, TN

rfoster
12-15-2009, 08:06 PM
I can second the comments regarding the Jamestown Advanced Electric Service Boxes. They are first class. I highly recommend them and you want be sorry.

I have two at my house and the old guy that used to sell them needs the business so he doesn't wind up living in a cardboard box under a bridge.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-16-2009, 07:03 AM
Times are so tough right now I have my eye on some very nice cardboard boxes.