PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Holiday Trip

garyde
12-14-2009, 09:39 PM
I thought I would start a thread on what everyone is doing during the Holidays. Traveling in your bus or whatever.
We have plans to meet with Ray & Kathy Davis, Mike and Jean Simmons and hopefully others the 28th to the first of the year at Buelltin, California. Great wine country (see movie: Sideways), Solvang shopping, food and pasteries, Antique shops, etc.
Happy Holidays

Gary & Peggy Stevens
12-15-2009, 12:28 AM
Gary De; Peg and I are heading out the day before Christmas and traveling down to South Texas, in the Donna or Mission area for the week of the Holiday. Not sure where we will end up till we get there.

We hope to hook up with Scott Truss and Linda from Canada, as well as our running buddies, Kevin & Sheila Ford, for some Holiday Cheer.

Hope everybody has a great Holiday where ever your travels take you? ! :)

Gary S.

jello_jeep
12-15-2009, 12:59 AM
We will be in LHC from Christmas Eve through the New Year! Visiting with friends old and new.

Merry Christmas to all our POG pals!

ajducote
12-15-2009, 07:56 AM
We are currently in Maryland visiting Ann's brother. Moving this weekend to Virgina to see our son, Daughter in law and brand new grand baby (our 1st).
Will be there until New Years day, then back to Florida.

Happy Holidays to all!!!

Loc
12-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Heading to Pigeon Forge, TN for the holidays.

merle&louise
12-15-2009, 10:18 AM
We are going to Angel Fire, NM for a Xmas snow skiing trip. We are driving in the Honda Pilot and leaving the Newell at home. This is our first driving trip in snow, so we are a little apprehensive. I'm not ready for driving the coach in snowy conditions.

My Pilot has 4 AWD with regular street tires. I was planning to buy some snow "cable" chains for the front tires only (recommended by Honda).

Does anyone with any snow driving experience think that we need the snow chains? One fellow recommended that I buy snow tires instead of snow cable chains. I'm a little confused. Any advice would be welcomed!

Danss
12-15-2009, 11:27 AM
We have been to the Lake Tahoe Oregon Utah area about 15 times around Christmas and have always rented a 4 wheel drive and have never used chains. Normally they keep the roads clear going to Ski resorts as they do not want to miss out on your money! Good luck, Dan & Jo

sawdust_128
12-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Just returned from our Christmas present to ourselves, the Big Island for a week. Now preparing for the up comming weekend with family. We will retreat to the outer banks for a week leaving on or about Christmas day.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
12-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Tuga, I don't really think you will need chains, but it would be safer to have a set and not need them, to need them and not have them. :o

If you buy a set of chains, be sure you understand about putting them on your tires and properly. They can sure tear something up, if they are not installed correctly. :mad:

And in my opinion, if you really needed chains, you probably wouldn't want to be driving in the first place. CHAINS are really for emergency only, especially when your on a ski vacation trip.

Gary S.

hhoppe
12-15-2009, 03:38 PM
Tuga: Best all around choice is combination all weather tires on all fours. Hitting the brakes and speed too fast for conditions get you in the most trouble. Carry blankets and provisions with a full tank of fuel. If a storm hits seek shelter off the hyway. Use common sense and you'll do ok.
Have a Merry Christmas.

nrhareiner
12-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Hello Tuga,

Having lived most of my life in snow country the best advice I can give you is "SLOW AND EASY". That applies to increasing speed, decreasing speed, and changing direction. As long as you do that I do not see any reason you will need chains.

Have a great trip.

Debra and I are leaving in the bus for Brownsville to see friends from 12/18-12/26.

To everyone, have a great holiday.

merle&louise
12-15-2009, 05:16 PM
Dan, Dusty, Gary, Harry, and Kim:

Thanks, I think that I will just forget using the chains and go SLOW & EASY like Kim said. Hope we don't slide off of the mountain:eek:

That could give new meaning to the term "Over the Road" air!

Jim Skiff
12-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Tuga,

I have AWD on my Element and we had a major snow storm last week.
If I hadn't been going really slow in it I would have hit a pole on a slide.
Just take it easy when it is snowing and wet and watch the temperature.

If the temp drops below 32 and the road looks glassy and black just be really careful. As much as I drive in the stuff "Black Ice" is the worst.

As Harry said, make so sudden moves like acceleration or braking and you'll be fine.

Have fun and enjoy a White Christmas!

Jim

merle&louise
12-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Tuga,

I have AWD on my Element and we had a major snow storm last week.
If I hadn't been going really slow in it I would have hit a pole on a slide.
Just take it easy when it is snowing and wet and watch the temperature.

If the temp drops below 32 and the road looks glassy and black just be really careful. As much as I drive in the stuff "Black Ice" is the worst.

As Harry said, make so sudden moves like acceleration or braking and you'll be fine.

Have fun and enjoy a White Christmas!

Jim

The more I hear about driving in snow and ice the more I realize WHY people move from the North to the South! Thanks for the advice Jim, I appreciate it!:)

mikedee
12-15-2009, 06:49 PM
We are going to Salt Lake City this Saturday for a couple day's (business) then on to Las Vegas and maybe on to LHC to see from friends, maybe even the Holmes.

Merry Christmas

Woody
12-15-2009, 08:12 PM
Joanie and I are sitting in the cockpit seeing nothing but water - the Inter-coastal- at Pellicans Landing.

We would like to meet and talk with other Prevost owners to help in understanding various Prevost stuff.

Anyone in the area?

Larry W
12-15-2009, 11:10 PM
Leaving Saturday fo Phoenix to meet up with friends for Christmas. Then on to Pasadena to volunteer at the parade. After parade will travel to Tucson to leave bus at friends. Drive toad back to CO for a week to do some year end stuff. Back to Tucson to get bus then head for 3 days of meetings in Atlanta area the end of Jan. Feb. we will be traveling west. Will be asking next week what not to miss along I -10. Hope to return west along I -40.

gmcbuffalo
12-16-2009, 12:26 AM
Leaving for Miami for two weeks of sun.
Greg and Huong

michaeldterry
12-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Leaving Saturday fo Phoenix to meet up with friends for Christmas. Then on to Pasadena to volunteer at the parade. After parade will travel to Tucson to leave bus at friends. Drive toad back to CO for a week to do some year end stuff. Back to Tucson to get bus then head for 3 days of meetings in Atlanta area the end of Jan. Feb. we will be traveling west. Will be asking next week what not to miss along I -10. Hope to return west along I -40.

Give us a shout when you are in Atlanta and maybe we can hook up to share bus stories and other lies! Vita and I love meeting POGgers! We live about 30 miles NNW of downtown Hotlanta up I-75 & then I-575.

merle&louise
12-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Leaving for Miami for two weeks of sun.
Greg and Huong

Hey Greg,

Did you ever find an air doubler?

Larry W
12-16-2009, 10:20 PM
Michael
I would be great to meet up with you and share a meal and well I don't want to say it. Our meetings are in Alpharetta so thats closer to you the Altlanta. Our meetings are Jan. 28 -29 -30.

rahangman
12-17-2009, 12:14 AM
Having lived in Denver area for some years, and managing the Railroad Operations for UPRR for my last 10 years, our common bit of advice was and still is, remember, 4 wheel drive will git ya goin faster and easier, but it just don't get ya stopped any faster...my thoughts, slow and easy don't let the crazies that think they can do anything get you frustrated and you will do ok.

rfoster
12-17-2009, 08:23 AM
Tuga: Just drive like you have an egg between your foot and the pedals. Do not to break the shell.

truk4u
12-17-2009, 08:28 AM
Larry,

Keep up us posted, we're only 20 miles from Alpharetta and if we're still here and not somewhere where it's warm, we can hook up with you and Michael. There's a good campground at Adairsville, I-75 and exit 306. That would put you about 38 miles west of Alpharetta.

Loc
12-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Tuga,

If you are heading to Angel Fire via Cimmarron you shouldn't have to worry too much. There is only one small hill to get into the valley and over to Angel Fire. They do a pretty good job of keeping the roads clear. The only problem I have encountered on this road is at the hill in the early morning when the sun isn't out and there is the potential for snow and ice in the shade. It will not be any problem in your Pilot. We used to make this drive every winter in two wheel drive cars.

Loc

michaeldterry
12-17-2009, 08:54 AM
Larry,

Keep up us posted, we're only 20 miles from Alpharetta and if we're still here and not somewhere where it's warm, we can hook up with you and Michael. There's a good campground at Adairsville, I-75 and exit 306. That would put you about 38 miles west of Alpharetta.

Tom - it would be great to have a micro-mini POG rally when Larry is in town! Maybe Towson Ensberg (part-time rock star, full time good guy, and fellow POGger) would even put in an appearance! :p

We've actually stayed at the RV park in Adairsville and, while nothing fancy, it's certainly more than adequate: Harvest Moon RV Park - Adairsville, GA (http://harvestmoonrvpark.com/index.html)

I also found an interesting family run RV park in Cumming, GA (closer to Alpharetta) that seems nice: Twin Lakes RV Park - Cumming, GA (http://www.twinlakes-rvpark.com/index.htm) The founder of Twin Lakes (the father of the gentlemen who currently run/manage it) is a Prevost owner!

merle&louise
12-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Tuga,

If you are heading to Angel Fire via Cimmarron you shouldn't have to worry too much. There is only one small hill to get into the valley and over to Angel Fire. They do a pretty good job of keeping the roads clear. The only problem I have encountered on this road is at the hill in the early morning when the sun isn't out and there is the potential for snow and ice in the shade. It will not be any problem in your Pilot. We used to make this drive every winter in two wheel drive cars.

Loc

Loc,

I am actually not going thru Cimarron, we have to pick up Karen's children in Albuquerque then drive to Angel Fire. We will be traveling on 285 out of Santa Fe, then on 68 to around Taos, and then on 64 to Angel Fire.

Have you ever traveled that route?

gmcbuffalo
12-17-2009, 10:05 AM
Tuga
No I didn't. I bought something off Ebay but is was not the same thing. The seller took it back, because he didn't know how it worked either.
GregM

Larry W
12-17-2009, 11:06 AM
Michael & Tom
It would be great to meet. We can arrive in GA a day or so early or stay a day or two. Let us know if you get something worked out.
Merry Christmas

jimmie johnson
12-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Keep us posted on your plans as we may be able to make a trip to the Atlanta area to meet some fellow POG ers.

michaeldterry
12-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Michael & Tom
It would be great to meet. We can arrive in GA a day or so early or stay a day or two. Let us know if you get something worked out.
Merry Christmas

I just talked with the owner/operator of Twin Lakes RV Park (http://www.twinlakes-rvpark.com/index.htm) in Cumming, GA. I asked if they could comfortably accommodate between 3 and 8 45 foot Prevosts for a mini-rally. He said that it would not be a problem (said they get Prevosts all the time). His father owns a Prevost conversion and he says that they love them.

I didn't talk specific dates with him, but I'm thinking maybe we could try for a few of us getting together January 28-31, 2010? The rate for a "Premium" site with full hook-ups is only $30 and Russ indicated that he could probably put all of us together if we reserved early enough.

Thoughts? Bueller? Anyone? :p

merle&louise
12-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Tuga
No I didn't. I bought something off Ebay but is was not the same thing. The seller took it back, because he didn't know how it worked either.
GregM

Greg,

This is the name and address of the company that builds the air doubler.

SMC CORP. OF AMERICA , PO BOX 100919 , PASADENA,CA. 91189

http://www.smcusa.com/

Good luck. Let me know if you need any other info.

Larry W
12-17-2009, 06:19 PM
We will arrive at Twin Lakes on Jan. 27 and stay till Feb. 1 or later.
Called today and made reservation.

michaeldterry
12-17-2009, 06:35 PM
We will arrive at Twin Lakes on Jan. 27 and stay till Feb. 1 or later.
Called today and made reservation.

Excellent! Who else in the GA, AL, TN, SC, NC contingent is up for an informal POG micro-mini rally in beautiful Cumming, GA around Thursday, January 28 through Sunday, the 31st? If you want in, call Russ at Twin Lakes RV Park (http://www.twinlakes-rvpark.com/index.htm) (770) 887-4400 and tell him you're with the Prevost Owners Group micro-rally to make reservations. Post here after you do, so we can get a head/bus count of who's in! I'll call Russ again in the next day or so to clue him in that we're definitely coming. If you get to him before I do and he doesn't seem to know what you're talking about, just tell him that you're a friend of Larry Walker's! :p

gmcbuffalo
12-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks Tuga, I'll call them.
GregM