PDA

View Full Version : XL GVWR

Devin W
12-10-2009, 11:49 AM
So, I mentioned in another thread that we're already at 41,100 lbs (I don't have individual axle weights -- I got weighed at a ranch supply) on our 42K GVWR bus. Not a big deal, except that the actual weight reflects having only about 60% of our stuff on board, 3/4 tank of fuel, no fresh/gray/black water, and no passengers. I'm guessing that we will easily surpass that 900lb payload as topping off the tank and a half tank of fresh water alone would easily equate to an additional 900lbs.

I got the GVWR off of the chassis paperwork that came in one of the binders. I've tried to read the plate near the driver's seat when I've thought about it, but was detered both times by the poor embossing, bad light and the fact that the seat is in the perfect position to block reading it -- I would think that it would reflect the GVWR on the chassis build sheet, though as the converter is just adding to the shell and not making axle/suspension/chassis modifications.

Am I missing something here? I've noticed that the GVWR's that most other people have talked about on threads that I've searched for the topic are at least 48K or higher. As far as I know our coach is pretty stock other than a couple of things: original couch replaced w/villa leather couch, 2 salon lounge chairs replaced w/ (smaller) villa leather couch, free standing dining chairs replaced w/leather booth seating, and front TV replaced with larger flat screen. Would that be enough to make a difference? I had been under the impression that a lot of the RV specific furniture was lighter due to the intended use.

Coloradobus
12-10-2009, 06:10 PM
What size og tire do you have? 12R's or 315X80's Our coach weighs 41,860 with 3/4 fuel (out of 250 gallons) full goodies and sox. Our coach originally had 12R which dont' have as great of carrying capacity as our current 315's of 9,090 bls per tire.
Our front axle is carrying 13,660, don't know what the rear axles are carrying.

truk4u
12-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Devin,

Our GVWR is 42,000 lbs. Mine full of fuel (250 gallons), 1/2 water, two people and all our stuff makes my gross 42,760. I attribute the weight to the granite floor Brian installed replacing the original carpeting. I never carry more than 1/4 water and after some of the fuel burns off I know I'm under gross. The main concern is tires and the 12R's are all well under max weight for the tire size.

Sounds like you're heavier than I am, so there's probably no room for tile or granite floors in your future. The 48,000 numbers you are referring to are for 45's. Actually, I think there is a really big fudge factor build into our 40's with a GVWR of 42,000.

garyde
12-10-2009, 08:53 PM
It's important to have each individual tire and axle weighed. Front, Drive, and tag. This will give you a better understanding of where your weight is high or within specs. If you have your front bays loaded, and no water , grey in your tanks, you will show more weight toward the front.

Devin W
12-11-2009, 08:46 AM
What size og tire do you have? 12R's or 315X80's Our coach weighs 41,860 with 3/4 fuel (out of 250 gallons) full goodies and sox. Our coach originally had 12R which dont' have as great of carrying capacity as our current 315's of 9,090 bls per tire.
Our front axle is carrying 13,660, don't know what the rear axles are carrying.

I think we're on 12R's all around, but I'll double check. I also think our fuel tank is 180 (it was showing nearly empty when I picked it up and put in 170 gallons to fill it). So my 3/4 tank is significantly less than yours and we're still heavy.

Devin W
12-11-2009, 08:48 AM
Devin,

Our GVWR is 42,000 lbs. Mine full of fuel (250 gallons), 1/2 water, two people and all our stuff makes my gross 42,760. I attribute the weight to the granite floor Brian installed replacing the original carpeting. I never carry more than 1/4 water and after some of the fuel burns off I know I'm under gross. The main concern is tires and the 12R's are all well under max weight for the tire size.

Sounds like you're heavier than I am, so there's probably no room for tile or granite floors in your future. The 48,000 numbers you are referring to are for 45's. Actually, I think there is a really big fudge factor build into our 40's with a GVWR of 42,000.

Tom, definitely no granite until I sort where the weight is and if it's practical to reduce some of it. I typically wouldn't carry much water except when we want to dry camp, which is something that we will do from time to time. It IS a Liberty, so yeah, there are a lot of mirrors....:D

Devin W
12-11-2009, 08:51 AM
It's important to have each individual tire and axle weighed. Front, Drive, and tag. This will give you a better understanding of where your weight is high or within specs. If you have your front bays loaded, and no water , grey in your tanks, you will show more weight toward the front.

Gary, agreed. I'm not sure where to get that done. Are we allowed to use commercial scales located on the fwy? When I was looking for a place to weigh ours before registering it (they use GVWR if you don't bring in an actual weight and charge accordingly so it benefits to come in with the lowest weight possible) I didn't find anything local that indicated that they will weigh each wheel or axle.

Coloradobus
12-11-2009, 09:42 AM
Devon,

When we brought our coach home, i took it to our local feed store to weigh it.
With 1/3 fuel and no water and nothing inside or underneath, it weighed 39,820. Loaded as I said above, we 41820. We even have solid 3/4 walnut cabintery, and tile only in kitchen and bath
We have 6 8D house batteeries (bay 2, and opposite is genset. First bay is pass thru, and 3rd like you have OTR. door 4 is water bay, pump etc with 1/4 bay of storage curbside.
We have 110 gallons of fresh and a combined 170 grey/black

Kenneth Brewer
12-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Gary, agreed. I'm not sure where to get that done. Are we allowed to use commercial scales located on the fwy?

Those places don't like to weigh motorhomes in general, though it may be legal, they may have an attitude about weighing you, since you are not required to be weighed. Use the truck stops (you will have to pay), but they can generally give you axle weights. Individual wheel weights, have yet to see this. But some places have individual load cell platforms in the service areas, that may be a hassle.

rahangman
12-11-2009, 12:01 PM
I have had CAT scales weigh my bus 3 seperate times with extreme variations each time. Yes, fuel/water/lading were just about as equal as I could make it. Each time the operator said, Yea, we can do that (get all wheels done individually, but then the print out was so exagerated as to be useless. Sooo I contacted the Home Station and they told me next time that they would have the operator patch me into them and it would be done correctly as Buses and their owners all seem to want this and training for this specialty is meager at best. Along with that, they will refund me the monies spent before. Can't argue with this. They are at most major truck fueling stations and operate seperate and apart from the fuelers and only $10-15 to do this.

charlesebrownjr
12-11-2009, 03:55 PM
Now wait a minute Jim, I know this weight issue is of great importance (BUT),
I want to know why you only carry sox on board your bus. Are there some very tolerant RV parks I need to know about!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

HarborBus
12-11-2009, 06:00 PM
An Idea to consider for Pog 9 is to have a company come in and weigh each wheel for everyone that wants it done. This company comes to mind:
http://weightogollc.com/

Danss
12-11-2009, 06:15 PM
At POG meeting in Spearfish, S. D the Hiway patrol came and weighed everyones Bus at no charge. great POG benefit! Dan

garyde
12-11-2009, 11:49 PM
FMCA Rallys and conventions always have a Private company weighing Coaches by individual tire and axle. The Flying J service stations have scales.
I would stay clear of State scales as they are for commercial trucks and you may risk an inspection of your brakes and such and a drivers license check.

James
12-12-2009, 08:27 AM
I like the Oregon scales on the state roads. The scales remain active even though the station is not manned. Easy to use with a large readout and you can take your time weighing.

A list of Oregon scales can be found at the bottom of the page at:

http://www.coopsareopen.com/oregon-weigh-stations.html