PDA

View Full Version : Auto on-Auto stop Generator feature

Joe Cannarozzi
08-31-2006, 08:44 PM
I have been looking for this divice since we bought the bus. If it were only just the switch on the control board Id have everything:D Well I think I figured out where it is, ITS GONE! I think I have noticed a bracket, and corresponding spot back behind, inside the panel, were something once was. Does anyone know, is this feature something you get like an accessory to a generator or is this something an electrician puts together from components? I dont know where this should be, in the control panel right? What does it look like?

Joe Cannarozzi
09-01-2006, 05:51 PM
We have located at www.aap.com an auto start kit for about 175 bucks shipped. Nice suprise we were expecting a little more. It also has features I know the original did not. It can be manually programed to whatever sequence you desire,once a week once a month whatever. You can wire an A/C thermostat to it to control exessive cabin temps. Along with the standard low battery voltage and weak shore power auto it also comes with remote so I will now be able to opporate the generator from the drivers seat. Heck I think the remote capability alone is worth the purchase price:cool: Still not sure if original components are there or have all been removed. I think Ill make sure before instlation.

MangoMike
09-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Joe,

Nice job. And sure beats Liberty. They want $1500 for their propietary "Watch Dog" autostart system.

Let us know how it works.

Mike

ken&ellen
09-04-2006, 09:15 AM
Mango, Is the $1500 the installed price? Ken

MangoMike
09-04-2006, 02:47 PM
Sorry buddy,

Just for the part. But if you just need the replacement part it's just a simple ribbon wire hoodup.

Mike

Joe Cannarozzi
09-14-2006, 08:50 AM
Our auto-start came in the mail today. Its not completly what I expected but I think I will still install it. The low voltage feature will kick the gen. on at 12.0 volts at its limit. Dont understand this as anything under 12.2 is concidered deep-cycled? Not good. There is a remote, but not wireless, and it does not have an auto on for when shore power is comming in at low voltage. We can set it to auto in a timed sequence, once a day, once a week, one hour two hour, to make sure batteries dont drop down to 12 flat. Kick on with an A/C thermostat to keep cabin temps. down, and Ive got a remote in the cokpit. Not all the functions we had hoped for but for $159 shipped still a good value. Instalation looks pretty simple. Let you know how it works.

lewpopp
09-14-2006, 10:23 PM
I guess I should have paid attention when someone else had, what I think, the same trouble as I.

I have new start batteries and recently I have had to push the Jump start to get the this started. I switch the two levers off at the rear.

Does this mean my isolator is gone. I know I should check the new batteries before I start replacing other parts.

Replacing the isolator: Is that something I should let an expert do?

Jon Wehrenberg
09-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Lew,

You need a Marathon expert to discuss your isolator. On my old Liberty they closed a solenoid when the alternator was putting out voltage to allow the two battery sets to be charged. When the engine was not running the solenoid was open so neither set of batteries could discharge the other.

If you are saying the bus batteries discharge even with the two switches off, look at the batteries to see if there are any smaller gauge wires that are tapped into those batteries that would by-pass the shut off switches. It could also be possible you simply have a bad battery that discharges the others.