PDA

View Full Version : Weather Challenge

rahangman
12-09-2009, 11:19 AM
While my 8V92T starts very quickly under best weather conditions, I am wondering about current weather and its effects. My question is, since I do not have a barn or enclosure for my bus (meaning it sits outside) and I keep full electrical power (re 50amp) on it, should I leave the Engine Block Warmer on full time to reduce temperature swings that I am thinking could cause moisture somewhere in engine. All this seasonal weather talk about moisture due to short engine running intervals brings this to mind. I don't mind starting the bus to run for 20-30 mins once a week (usually same time as GenSet) but since we try to take a ride every couple weeks to exercise it, I just wonder what the engine block heater will do. I also give the Webasto a short work out on occasion also. North Central Arkansas is seeing a lot of temp swings from mid 20's and lower at night to mid to high 40's in daytime. :D

tdelorme
12-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Rodger, I leave my block heater on all the time this time of year. How do you keep the coach from freezing if you only run the Webasto every now and then? I run a couple of CruiseAirs set on 60 degrees unless the temp is going below freezing. If freezing temps are forecast, I turn the Webasto on and set it at 55 to 60. I'd sure rather burn a little diesel than fool with any frozen water lines. CruiseAirs are useless when the outside temp is below something around 45 degrees.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-09-2009, 11:59 AM
We lived where sub-zero temps were common. I put the block heater on the evening before we were going to go somewhere.

Now that I have Webasto, I will fire it up 1/2 hour before we go somewhere if I ever have the coach outside in the cold.

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Rodger,If my block heater were working I would leave it on all the time in this season. I did last winter and all was fine.

I have to figure out how to change out my defunct unit, don't really want to get wet now though, too cold.

I use my interior electric toe space heaters to keep the bus at aro 50F.

I recommend you use your Webasto every time you exercise your engine, it will help the whole system get to a higher temperature sooner than the engine alone, which is good.
If you have over the road heat run that too during that time.

Just a reminder of Harry's mouse repellent, PEPPERMINT EXTRACT on cotton balls placed in strategic exterior locations.

I have been made aware, by those in the know that, Vitricore cabinature likes the same temperatures as the human body, not too hot and not too cold or it will rebel in a costly way.

Does anyone enjoy watching "Trains" on RFD TV on Mon. evenings? I do. Did that make this thread creep:confused::eek:

JIM:p

rahangman
12-09-2009, 05:37 PM
We keep inside of bus in the 55-60 range even in cold weather with inside heat from the toe heaters....also I keep a small elec space heater in bath on the floor area that is still marble and it seems to keep the floor "warm" which should backfeed into my watercompartement below. The Webasto Central heating is set for about 35 so if all fails, the Webasto will cut in. I have heard it a couple of times but not on regular basis. Main concern here was engine and your replies helped me a lot. Leave er on till after bus starts up. Engine actually is warm to touch with it on which is good. Thanks again, even if Northern Arkansas is not as cold as previous home of Omaha, NE or Toledo . OH.

tpr
12-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Here in Pennsylvania I leave the Webasto on all winter. If I turn on the block heater for the engine I have birds roosting in the engine compartment for the warmth and leaving "gifts" on my engine. Can't have that so I only warm the motor when I am going to use it.

truk4u
12-09-2009, 08:44 PM
Roger,

Don't forget the plumbing bay heat. Keeping the inside warm won't do much in the plumbing bay if it's really cold. Just keeping the hot water heater on makes a big difference if you don't have electric bay heat.

I don't see much sense in leaving the block heater on, your only heating parts of the engine. I do start the webasto on cold days like Jon about 1/2 hour before starting and my engine temp will get to almost 180, but again, only parts of the engine. The 8V hates cold starts..