PDA

View Full Version : Can't ride 'em, so I'll talk about 'em

Devin W
12-08-2009, 10:45 PM
It's a bit cold and snowy out right now so the bikes are put up for now. We seem to be able to ride most months out of the year, but with over 10" of snow over the last few days and temps barely hitting double digits, they won't be seeing any use until we get a really good thaw. So since I can't ride any of them...I'll talk about them.

I have three gas powered two-wheelers. I was a late bloomer and didn't start riding until I was in my 30's. I started with dirt bikes. This is my current bike that really is a glutton for punishment:
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x150/cs427fanatic/aftermath913091.jpg

I'm currently repairing this on it from the last ride:
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x150/cs427fanatic/drzradiator1.jpg

Shortly after moving to Colorado, I got an itch to exploit the awesome twisty canyons and settled on this to get me around:
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x150/cs427fanatic/Ducati_07amidres.jpg
Very tame, air-cooled 1000cc motor and classic looks. Just the right prescription for staying out of trouble, but still having fun.

My wife and I talked about doing some two-up trips so I started looking at bigger bikes, but wanted something with some versatility in terms of riding surfaces so I ended up with this beast:
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x150/cs427fanatic/IMG_0617.jpg
It's a great all-around bike and with my modest in-seam, a simple stop at a traffic light can be exciting!

OK, there you have it. It's nice to share with some like-minded enthusiasts. I've talked about them so that should hold me over for awhile...

Jon Wehrenberg
12-09-2009, 07:10 AM
Devin,

Let me help you. The point of bus ownership is so you can put your bikes on or in a trailer and get them to where there is no snow. That way the bus is happy, the bikes are happy and you are happy.

You need to meet Eric, Mr. Ironbutt.

hobobimmer
12-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Devin,

You need to meet Eric, Mr. Ironbutt.

Nice motos, Devin W. Do I see a Suzuki DRZ400 with an aftermarket bigger gas tank? And a KTM 990 Adventure? I have a DRZ400S dual sport. I got to ride some in your state a couple times this summer (late May and early August). We rode out of Ouray KOA campground.

When it warms up (next Spring, I guess), I'll ride to Ft. Collins to meet you.

Eric Faires
Huntsville, TN

Devin W
12-10-2009, 11:18 AM
Devin,

Let me help you. The point of bus ownership is so you can put your bikes on or in a trailer and get them to where there is no snow. That way the bus is happy, the bikes are happy and you are happy.

John, I'm definitely getting that part figured out. We spent a week out in Newport Beach, CA in October so I took a bike then. Turned out the weather was better here in CO and it rained several days that we were there! Must be that cloud I tow around...

Devin W
12-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Nice motos, Devin W. Do I see a Suzuki DRZ400 with an aftermarket bigger gas tank? And a KTM 990 Adventure? I have a DRZ400S dual sport. I got to ride some in your state a couple times this summer (late May and early August). We rode out of Ouray KOA campground.

When it warms up (next Spring, I guess), I'll ride to Ft. Collins to meet you.

Eric Faires
Huntsville, TN

Tks, Eric. You scored 100% on the ID test. The Suzuki often throws people for a loop on the trail. Most say, "what is it?".

I haven't done much riding in the Ouray area, but that is something I'm hoping to do soon. You'll definitely have to let me know if you end up in my neck of the woods.

ken&ellen
01-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Devin, If you do not mind riding with the Harley crowd....we ride year around in Savannah, Ga area.
For a fellow Prevost owner.....you may park out on the " compound " at no cost. 50A, dump, & water. Ken & Ellen

sticks
01-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Nice bikes!I just sold a S4 Fogerty last year, still have a 1993 900 Superlight.Also have a custom bobber made by New York City Chopper, and a Harley Nostalgic Springer.Take my two sons to Sturgis every summer. Stay at Elkhorn RV in Spearfish, a great RV park!! My wife, Sandy, won't go near the bikes, so haven't bothered to get a lift for the back of the coach.

Devin W
01-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Devin, If you do not mind riding with the Harley crowd....we ride year around in Savannah, Ga area.
For a fellow Prevost owner.....you may park out on the " compound " at no cost. 50A, dump, & water. Ken & Ellen

I've found that I enjoy the company of most anyone who enjoys being on two wheels. I'm sure I could find exceptions to that, but I try not to look too hard! I've promised my wife more warm destinations so I'll be sure to keep you guys in mind if we make it out that way :cool:

Devin W
01-06-2010, 03:55 PM
Nice bikes!I just sold a S4 Fogerty last year, still have a 1993 900 Superlight.Also have a custom bobber made by New York City Chopper, and a Harley Nostalgic Springer.Take my two sons to Sturgis every summer. Stay at Elkhorn RV in Spearfish, a great RV park!! My wife, Sandy, won't go near the bikes, so haven't bothered to get a lift for the back of the coach.

Thanks, Sticks. I had an S2R prior to the SC1000 and the riding position and maneuverability of Monster chassis is tough to beat. I've always loved the special editions like the Fogarty. Sounds like you've got some nice rides. I'd love to build up a rat-type bobber with a big fat white walls. Practical, no, but plenty of fun!

ken&ellen
01-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Devin, It must be a poplar design, Rossmeyers in Daytona is building the bobber from days gone by complete with the suicicde shifter on the tank and I believe with a old style knuckle engine. My days of building bikes has come and gone, but there is a lot of satisfaction in a project bike. Ken:cool:

Devin W
01-07-2010, 03:08 PM
This one was built from Vstar 650. I've never taken on a project quite like this so it would be a (fun) learning experience. One of these days...

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x150/cs427fanatic/Vstarbobber.jpg

sticks
01-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Devin if you're interested in what NYC choppers can do you can go to their web sight, NYCchoppers.com, or pull up the web for back issues of Street Chopper magazine, the bike NYC built for me is on the cover of the August 2006 issue.(story inside). As they say, " may the sun always shine and the wind be at your back"

Devin W
01-08-2010, 12:18 AM
Sticks, is it this one?

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x150/cs427fanatic/press_3stchopper2.jpg

Nice custom! Definitely got some old school cool going on. I like the knuckle build and dirt tracker that they have in their gallery as well.

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-08-2010, 08:16 AM
You might like this one too.

ken&ellen
01-08-2010, 11:18 AM
The Rossmeyer HD bobber is actually made by Thunder Mountain Customs from Colorado.

I tried to attach a picture, but once again.....no joy. Ken:eek:

Devin W
01-08-2010, 02:02 PM
That's nice, too, Jim. Is that one yours? I like most of them, but when I get around to making (or buying something) I think I want it to have that beefy front tire and a little shorter fork. I do like that low slung look and the bobbed tail, though.

Ken, TMC is about 15 minutes down the freeway from my house!

JIM CHALOUPKA
01-08-2010, 04:25 PM
No it's not mine, wouldn't touch a "murder cycle", but do enjoy looking at them and appreciating the art of design and fine workmanship that's written all over them.

That example was at the annual open house of Hutter Performance Engines which is just down the road from here.

:)

ken&ellen
01-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Here is the picture I tried to send earlier...with Jim's help. Ken

truk4u
01-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Jim Keller has to jump in here.... C'mon Toolman, we need a picture of your own built original for you, ready to ride, Captain America.;)

sticks
01-08-2010, 10:57 PM
You found it ,that's my "Monroe" ( Marilyn in the photo). I,m having lots of fun with it. My long distance bike , of course, is the springer nostalgic.But both to Sturgis with me every year. If you're going next year let me know and we'll hook up.