PDA

View Full Version : We appear to have nice carpet

Devin W
12-08-2009, 10:18 PM
We appear to have nice carpet. I say that it appears to be nice because I haven't actually touched it. It's covered by the factory supplied clear plastic protector that I've left in place because:

a) the carpet currently appears to be nice...and white
b) with 2 dogs (one of them being a 70lb puppy) and a 9 year old -- not to mention the god-given natural clumsiness that my wife and I both possess, I'd like the carpet to stay nice...and white
c) who puts plush white carpet in a kitchen?

That being said, I don't necessarily care for the carpet under plastic appearance and won't be re-doing any flooring for a more practical material in the near future, so I was wondering if anyone here has used the carpet condom (can I say that?) as a pattern to create a more friendly form of protection such as a thin layer of non-white carpet that snaps into place. If so, did you do it yourself or find a professional, such as an upholstery shop, etc? Just curious if this has been done and if there are any helpful suggestions.

garyde
12-08-2009, 10:34 PM
I removed my plastic cover after the 2nd year of ownership. I now have runners over the carpet.

GDeen
12-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Remove the plastic, use runners as Gary says, and then replace it with something more durable and stain resistant when it starts to show wear.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-09-2009, 07:14 AM
When we got our coach, which was previously owned by the Sloans, the carpet protector was in place. The carpet appeared new.

The plastic protector reminded my of my parents tendency to put plastic covers on car seats, furniture, etc. so my first order of business was to remove the plastic. When the carpet begins to show its age it will be replaced, probably with wood or wood like flooring with area rugs.

Loc
12-09-2009, 07:55 AM
Devin,

Any decent automotive upholstery shop can make a protective cover to fit. Gary S and the former President (Reagan) had covers made to fit their floors in the last few months. They may chime in. We have the same issue with two boys and two dogs. We opted to take the carpet out of the living area and bedroom and replace it with hardwood. Much easier to sweep everything out.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
12-09-2009, 10:46 AM
After all the plastic protector bashing going on, I will NOT comment about my lovely sculptured carpet under my new plastic protector. :D

I put it down in the bedroom too. :p

Gary S.

merle&louise
12-09-2009, 10:55 AM
I had a different approach to protecting my carpet.

I obtained a piece of scrap carpet from Newell that was the exact color and pattern of the one that was installed in the coach. I cut the scrap carpet to fit and screwed it down over the installed carpet.

When I sold the coach I removed the top carpet and the carpet underneath looked brand new!:D

shookie
12-09-2009, 11:38 AM
...ironic...our coach is now in shop getting carpet removed and hard floor put in...much more practical...seems to be the trend converters are now promoting...can always "soften" area with runners, area rugs etc...

tdelorme
12-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Shookie, thanks for leaving the carpet protector down in your old coach. It still looks new and Jan says until I learn to wipe my feet off, the plastic stays in place. When we do replace the carpet, I will go straight to James Stallings at Xtreme and have him do his magic.

charlesebrownjr
12-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Man, some of us have really taken some abuse for our (Plastic Bug Shields) and now we have to endure the abuse and harassment for protecting our beautiful carpet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

I use rubber backed bath mats from Bed Bath and Beyond, come in several colors and sizes and I just through them in the washer when I get home.

Hold good on the tile floor and do pretty well on the carpet, a little crawling.

shookie
12-09-2009, 09:27 PM
jan and ted...glad to see you are enjoying the coach...by the way...linda tells me she left her purse somewhere in the bedroom...you can keep the purse...just send the money to my office...if you call me, i will give you our fed ex number so it will not cost you a thing....lol...best, shook

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Yeah, like Tuga save the rug for the next owner.:rolleyes:

JIM

Devin W
12-10-2009, 11:29 AM
It looks as though the consensus is to replace the carpet -- something we will do at some point for sure, but I'm spending all the green on more critical systems (oh yeah, AND diesel) right now, so I was looking for a short cut that would get me through another year.

We hardly have any carpet in our house -- all tile and wood floors -- but, I need to figure out where all the weight in this bus is before I start adding more. It supposedly has a 42K GVWR and when I weighed it with about 50% of our stuff, 3/4 tank of fuel, no fresh/waste water, and no passengers/pets, we were already at 41,100. That doesn't leave a lot for additional payload or a little fresh water for on the road.

Oh, and BTW, I think the plastic carpet cover is actually a great concept with how it snaps in place, which is why I was thinking of making our own just w/different materials.

Coloradobus
12-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Devon,
Becasue we travel with 3 small dogs, we have covered our carpet with plastic.

Not what you might be thinking of tho., We use the sheets of hard plastic that you roll your residential desk chairs on over carpeting. We use tin snips to cut to fit and to eliminate "creep" we use a grommet and woodscrew to fix the plastic sheets in place. Our current coach, we have it everywhere there is carpeting, drivers' area, salon, bedroom, totally around the bed.
Great for cleanup with a damp rag, keeps the carpeting underneath clean.
To prevent "dog-sliding" when trying to stop the coach, we have throw rugs with rubber backing down.

rahangman
12-11-2009, 12:06 PM
Ah yes, having replaced our carpet from the Bathroom to the Driver with a new Pergo Floor, we now attempting to gauge the Slide Factor between our 11lb Toy Poodle and 90Lb Red Bone Hound. One likes it, the other doesn't. Throw rugs over the Pergo that replaces the carpet before. Hmmmm:)