PDA

View Full Version : Front Door Spring

Ray
12-08-2009, 02:56 PM
My front door used to stay lock open for good air flow with the windows open but heard something pop last week and now the door will no longer stay open.
Is this and easy fix or do you have to take the door apart? If this is the case I think I will just carry a 2x4.

Loc
12-08-2009, 04:40 PM
Ray,

If you have an XLII, there is a pin on top of the top door hinge that has two settings to hold the door open. The pin does shear off (I have replaced it once already) and this will cause the door to not stay open unless gravity is at work and there is no wind. Depending on your conversion you may be able to easily replace the pin or you may have to disassemble the dash area to get to the pin.

Loc

Ray
12-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Loc,
Thanks for your quick reply and I will check for a pin. If the pin is broken is this a Pervost part?

Ray

Devin W
12-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Does the XL have a similar feature? Our door won't stay in an open position and I didn't see any apparent way to lock it open.

gmcbuffalo
12-08-2009, 07:52 PM
Devin, yes it does it's call a Tennis Ball and not a Prevost part.
GregM

Alek&Lucia
12-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Devin,

When I had XL, I was using tennis ball stuffed in the hinge area, between the door and the frame.
Worked fantastic,

Alek

Kevin Erion
12-08-2009, 07:58 PM
The XLll pin is a Prevost part, the thread is 6mm and I went to an 8mm and I don't think I will be snapping that off. On XLll this is a common problem, this was told to me by a Prevost tech, he also advised that I go and tap the hole 2 accommodate the 8mm.

Bill1170
12-08-2009, 09:31 PM
I just had the same problem and drilled and taped for the o versize pin. Did you find the roller that fits over the pin?

Devin W
12-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Greg and Alek -- tks for the tip. I'll have to stick one of those in the door pocket for that purpose and make sure my American Bulldog doesn't get a hold of it. Those balls are kind of like chewing gum for her.

garyde
12-08-2009, 10:14 PM
Mine snapped off and I have the parts to replace but I can not get the door open far enough to put it on (Thimbleroller). Is there a method to this other than taking the door off , or the dashboard apart.

Bill1170
12-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Gary,since I had to drill my broken bolt out of the door hinge I had to take that side of the dash apart. That seemed better than removing the door.
Bill