PDA

View Full Version : POG 9

Jim Skiff
12-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Let's start this one over! (The other post started with old posts not relevant to POG9)

We would like to get feedback on Buckhorn for October as it is centrally located, great facilities,great service and can handle our large group.

Loc
12-03-2009, 10:32 AM
How many sheep to fill up a Truk?

tdelorme
12-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Loc, your the numbers guy, you tell us. Very helpful post by the way.

Buckhorn is OK with us. I'd rather go someplace new, but Buckhorn works. What happened to the place Tuga mentioned? How about New Mexico? Is there not a resort in NM that could handle us? Whatever is decided, the sooner the better as far as setting the dates. I hate planing so far ahead but to block out a week takes some planing.

sawdust_128
12-03-2009, 12:04 PM
A few questions:

1. Is it possible to state a definition for the POG National event? Something like the Annual national POG rally will begin on the nth Weds. of October and last until the nth Sun.? That way, every one knows when it is? This may not work out so well for a small number of folks this next rally, but it seems that it would work for everyone there after. No need to re-negotiate this aspect year after year.

2. I've only attended one of these so I don't have the experiences of many of you, but how important is it that it be someplace "new". At OKC, I found that I was busy a great deal of the time (that was good) but, when I wasn't, I was trying to meet other POG members and enjoying their company (a great thing, well for me anyway).

I would be very satisified going someplace central where members had an equal (as is possible) chance of getting there. And somewhere we could be accomodated with all our activities. If I feel the need for new, I can take a different route there.

Just some food for thought.

Kenneth Brewer
12-03-2009, 12:11 PM
"How about New Mexico? Is there not a resort in NM that could handle us?"

In my opinion, the best closest place in NM is Las Cruces. La Hacienda. It is nearly as nice as Buckhorn, (gravel) pull throughs, but very long so you wouldn't have to disconnect, nice clean and modern facilities, close to a large mall, but I haven't used the pool (I think they have one, but can't swear to it), easy off/on I-10, very nice clubhouse, with a large clean fabric covered indoor (completely) meeting place/hall, not sure if it is air conditioned. Good power, high water pressure. Individual back-ins have privacy hedges. Good cable, Wifi.

White Sands, NM is a reasonable drive. In the summer this place is likely to be considerably hotter than Kerrville. It is just over 500 mi. west of Kerrville, but about the easiest drive (from there) you could ask for. Mountain view is off in the distance, but on the other side of I-10, which along this point is significantly above grade.

I am sure others have stayed here on the way east or west who can comment.

dale farley
12-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Jim,

To get back to your original question in the first post; Buckhorn is fine with us. It does have all the accomodations that we need for a good rally, and it is relatively centrally located.

Many of us have been there before, and many have not. We are not opposed to any good location, but it won't do much good to just start throwing options up in the air again without some concrete details for a specific location and park.

Charles Spera
12-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Buckhorn in October would be great. We're new here but think Buckhorn is perfect...I know that because Her Highness tells me she still has to make purchases at Cindy's Jewelry in Fredericksburg!!

sawdust_128
12-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Buckhorn works.

Coloradobus
12-03-2009, 01:29 PM
We have a suggestion for a new spot for POG 9 and its not way up in the atmosphere like Tiger Run.

http://www.coloradocampground.com/

The elevation is 6500 ft. It is in the town of Manitou Springs. Marathon Coach Club had a rally there several years ago, and the park has done even more improvements since then for big rigs.
Your minutes from Colorado Springs and the Air Force Academy, Manitou is at the base of Pikes Peak and the Cog Railroad. The town itself is artsy-fartsy with lots of little shops and galleries. It is on the southern end of the Garden of the Gods Rock Formation Park. (a city park)
Check it out.
They have a rally co-ordinator, Tara, but she is in the office on mondays, tuesdays and wednesdays. Shall I call her up next week?

charlesebrownjr
12-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Kerrville would work for me. Like Buckhorn Lake very much!:)

Loc
12-03-2009, 02:28 PM
I give Buckhorn two Aggies (that's two thumbs up for you non-believers).

wayne
12-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Buckhorn works for us too!!

Coloradobus
12-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Did I miss it, where's the lake?

Jerry Winchester
12-03-2009, 04:18 PM
Buckhorn - Been there, got the shirt.

I'm up for someplace new(er).

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-03-2009, 04:41 PM
Colorado Campground looks very appealing to me.

I would vote for it if they can accommodate the POG.

JIM

flyu2there
12-03-2009, 05:24 PM
Climb the hill and go to Tiger Run...although it might be a bit gamey in October.

merle&louise
12-03-2009, 06:30 PM
I know this location is not centrally located, but it sure is beautiful! :D

Motor Coach Country Club in Indio, CA. The park is gorgeous and there are no altitude problems. Palm Springs is close by with shopping, golf courses, fine restaurants, and fabulous mountain scenery. They have a restaurant/lounge on the premises and I am pretty sure they have a community center. The only down side is there may be a problem with giving us 60 sites in October.

This location offers more for our wives than it actually does for us guys. But I think that we can be happy almost anywhere.

We drove out there in 2007 and Louise loved it. There is a tram in Palm Springs that brings you up the mountain to a restaurant and the view of Palm Springs is magnificent. We really like the area and the people.

A second choice could be Pacific Shores Motorcoach Resort on the Oregon coast. I have never been there, but that might be a good reason to go!:D

Only problem with these ownership type resorts is getting 60 sites together.
But if we could get 60 sites, we could have one hell of a rally!

Jon Wehrenberg
12-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Buckhorn.

We got folks from the left and right side of the country.

aggies09
12-03-2009, 07:32 PM
We give Buckhorn two Gig Em's as well (thumbs up). :cool:

hhoppe
12-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Buckhorn is a repeat and an OK spot but the Colorado Springs area is new to most of us and looks great. If they can hold us it gets my vote. Second week in October please.

truk4u
12-03-2009, 08:13 PM
Logistics boys, we have folks on both coasts.

How about the Dallas area?

LA - Dallas 1431 miles
DC - Dallas 1335 miles

Besides, we couldn't do artsy-fartsy with Loc!:rolleyes:

Jerry Winchester
12-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Krakman,

We would have to hold the rally in the parking lot of Jerry World cuz there are no decent RV parks there.

I like Tiger Run in September.

Tuga - Did you get hold of some bad crawfish?

garyde
12-03-2009, 10:29 PM
My vote is for Colorado. Having gone to most of the Rally's, I believe it is important to go to a new Venue every year and not repeat for at least 5 or more years. This not only allows for an original Rally with everyone experiencing something new at POG for the first time, it gives everyone a chance to experience the journey to a different part of the country.
A Colorado Rally would be also a way to draw in more people from the western states who have not yet been to a rally.

Gary & Peggy Stevens
12-03-2009, 10:31 PM
I would like to try some place new for the rally. :)

I vote for Campground of the Gods. I think it is fairly centrally located?

Jim S., you need to get just maybe two more good possibilities for campgrounds that will work for all of our needs, and then put it in your little Survey dealy......:D Just git her dun. :p

And Loc don't try and stick me out in the boonies either at our next rally, I know what you tried to do.... bitch. :eek:

Gary S.

BrianE
12-03-2009, 10:39 PM
Would like to throw in with the Tiger Run crowd. Lot's to do and a beautiful setting.

Tuga, While Pacific Shores can be a wonderful place, it can also be cold, windy and foggy....for days at a time. :(

merle&louise
12-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Good point Brian.

I could live with Tiger Run. I agree with GaryDe, we need to find a new place to go. We should not re-visit the same campground within a 5 year time frame.

The French Quarter RV resort is now open in New Orleans. I don't know how many would be interested in it; it is located in the middle of the city close to the French Quarter. I have a friend who stays there often; he loves it!
http://www.fqrv.com/

New Orleans has a lot to offer: good restaurants, beautiful homes on St. Charles Ave, River Walk, French Quarter, St. Louis Cathedral, Fair Grounds Racing, and a rich history. I sound like a tour guide. Why am I talking like this?

Maybe I did have some bad crawfish!:D

mikedee
12-03-2009, 11:45 PM
I vote with Gary, mix it up new roads, new parks.

The RV resort in New Orleans is very good, close to French quarter and easy into from freeway. We have been to fqrv a couple times always good.

billbunch47
12-04-2009, 12:21 AM
I missed OKC this year because Rita had the I don't want to go to OKC again, sorry folks but of the ones talked of so far my vote would go for Tiger Run, it is a little slice of heaven.

Bill Price
12-04-2009, 06:22 AM
Take a look at this NEW park in Canton, Texas. Canton is near the DFW area. This is a new park and can handle this group with ease.

I have had friends stay there and all have nothing but good to report.

This would be a new location for POG.

Bill Price
12-04-2009, 06:31 AM
Check this out:

www.millcreekranchresort.com

Will Garner
12-04-2009, 06:41 AM
I'll throw down my 2 cents with the Colorado guys. I've never been there although an Aunt and Uncle of mine had friends that lived outside of Boulder.

So let's load 'em up and head 'em out to the wilds of Colorado. I'm up for a little John Denver Colorado Rocky Mountain High! Just hope us propeller heads have I-40 opened by then ...

truk4u
12-04-2009, 08:04 AM
October in CO is not balmy!

Manitou Springs Weather
US Geography / US Weather / Colorado Weather / Manitou Springs

Average High 64
Average Low 36
Mean 50

Average Snow 3"

I would pick a warmer month if it has to be CO.:cool:

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Be bold and brave, experience life to it's fullest, try something NEW leave the same old same old behind no matter how good it was.

Fall in Colorado Springs

Fall is simply delightful in Colorado Springs ' days are sunny, warm and dry, and fall colors dot the landscape and mountainside. September highs are in the mid-70s, making this time of year perfect for fishing, golfing or visiting the beautiful United States Air Force Academy. Temperatures continue to drop steadily October and November; typical highs in November reach 50 degrees and lows are in the mid-20s. Warm fall days may allow shorts and short sleeves, while cooler days may necessitate extra layers. The first snowfall of the season is typically in October.

JIM :)

MangoMike
12-04-2009, 09:21 AM
As nice as Buckhorn was, and it was great Diet Coke/Mentos territory, I think Colorado would be great. Perhaps moving the date earlier so Krakman doesn't freeze his sheep off.

Coloradobus
12-04-2009, 09:45 AM
How about Albuquerque,NM

http://www.americanrvpark.com/

JUSt a thougt

Or as MIKEDEE said before FRENCH QUARTER RV PARK,but space is limited due to size.

http://www.fqrv.com/

Near crossroads of I-80 and I-25 North Central Colorado.......FT COLLINS KOA
http://www.fclakesidecg.com/

GDeen
12-04-2009, 09:56 AM
I vote Colorado.

lonesome george
12-04-2009, 10:03 AM
We passed through Colorado Springs a few years back and the place looks great.
Our vote is for Colorado.

Coloradobus
12-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Conflict of Interest. Chris couldn't figure out what I was up to ,since he reminded me we will be out because of Airstreaming.

We are booked with Airstream duties from Sept 23 to Oct.12th :(

Jerry Winchester
12-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Not to bust any bubbles, but I stayed in the place in Colorado Springs this past summer and I gave it a 4 out of 10. The pull-thru I had was so unlevel I couldn't get any axis on the bus within a bubble and they had me in a 50 amp spot that we determined (after an hour of trying to figure out why the inverters were going crazy) was actually 30 amp wired to a 50 plug.

I tried to talk to the manager; no joy. Left my number for the manager to call me back; still waiting.

But there is a really great Mexican food place just outside the gate.

Pete
12-04-2009, 10:59 AM
COLORADO IN OCTOBER? You must be kidding! While I think Tiger run is one of the prettiest places to go, I can just see us crossing Eisenhower Pass in the snow. Maybe late August, but not much later.
Let's either try for an earlier date in Colorado, or go more to the south if it has to be in October.
Who knows, maybe we need to check with Prevost, they may have LIFT KITS for our buses if we do go to Colorado in October.

Ray Davis
12-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Do these parks mentioned have facilities to handle meetings etc. We cannot simply use the criteria of a "nice park". It needs not only the ability to handle 60+ coaches, it needs meeting rooms that can handle 120+ people.

There are very few parks that I've seen which are designed to handle rallies. Obviously Buckhorn is one. Hacienda in NM is another (I've got their rally packet and I've offered to send it to Jim)

I've been by the FQRV, and if I remember right, there's only about 50 slots total, and I don't remember any meeting rooms at all.

I don't know about the CO location, but as we come up with ideas, keep in mind that we're more than just parking.

Ray

Lawrence M.
12-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Tiger run is a beautiful place, However, keep in mind that the elevation is 9400 ft. above sea level and if the temperature rises above standard, the density alt. will be even higher. A thought for those who have trouble breathing or are prone to altitude sickness.

Will Garner
12-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Hey JDUB. How big is their parking lot and do they have enough drop cords for all of us?

Will Garner
12-04-2009, 01:51 PM
I though the recommendation for Colorado came with a date in September. The September date may be a little cool but should prevent any problems with frozen sheep.

bluevost
12-04-2009, 02:28 PM
I think Bill might be on to something. That Mill Creek place looks great!! That would be our first choice, second would be Colorado in SEPTEMBER.

Kevin Erion
12-04-2009, 04:09 PM
I am up for Tiger Run as choice #1, I also don't mind Texas!

Kenneth Brewer
12-04-2009, 04:56 PM
COLORADO IN OCTOBER? You must be kidding! While I think Tiger run is one of the prettiest places to go, I can just see us crossing Eisenhower Pass in the snow. Maybe late August, but not much later.
Let's either try for an earlier date in Colorado, or go more to the south if it has to be in October.

I agree. At that altitude, at that time of year, there can be trouble. Even further south in AZ and NM at higher elevations.

lloyd&pamela
12-04-2009, 05:31 PM
Forgive my ignorance. Where is Buckhorn and is there a website?

Bill Price
12-04-2009, 06:01 PM
I still am hooked on the idea of Canton, Texas. It is more centrally located than Colorado. We do Colorado in the summer. However I dont see Colorado in the late fall due to temperature.

I think if you want a first class NEW experience take a look at Mill Creek.

Ray Davis
12-04-2009, 06:32 PM
Forgive my ignorance. Where is Buckhorn and is there a website?

It's in Kerrville TX, and was the site of POG3 a few years back.

http://www.buckhornlake.com/

Ray

merle&louise
12-04-2009, 06:39 PM
I would vote for Mill Creek Ranch first and Tiger Run second.

Ray,

You're right the French Quarter RV resort only has 52 sites; it wouldn't work!:eek:

flyu2there
12-04-2009, 06:42 PM
I was at a Prouds Rally at Tiger Run a few years back. They have everything and right if you have a bum ticker, probably best to steer clear. I rode around the park on a bicycle and was convinced that the tires were flat, upshot is that booze is cheap.....one beer and you have had it!!

just2
12-04-2009, 08:20 PM
Anywhere in TEXAS is Great

rfoster
12-04-2009, 08:29 PM
Having just stayed in Tiger Run the week before OKC rally and experiencing the effects of altitude----

Well, I can just see you Flat Lander Texans breathing through your Darth Vader Air mask in order to keep you chest from Caving in and your head from exploding. Bring in the O2 wagon with the little tanks It will look like a nursing home delivery.

I ain't no spring chicken and lot/some/1or2/ of you old farts are older than I am. We will have to set up a patrol to police up the bus owners that are passed out while taking out the trash or hooking up their dump hoses. If you don't pick em up off the ground - the bears might eat em. No, they may try to cover them up.

That was the end of Sep 09 and they got snow while we were on our way home from OKC early Oct.

Tiger Run is very nice and beautiful surroundings - especially the snow covered peaks, but I don't even know that it is a qualified Rally Destination, so it might not be a canidate for a Rally????

The effects of Altitude sickness can usually be overcome in about three days by drinking a lot of WATER, and not being too active so I was told. I don't know about that - I/we left after just one night.

And if you have an air leak or if you dont have an air leak in you Aux Air System, Tiger Run will bring the air right out it.

My wife had some hand lotion or other cosmetic crap sitting in the cubby beside the passenger seat and somehow the altitude pushed the fluids right out of the bottle onto whatever was below the bottle--carpet, seat, window sill etc.

And when the sun shines, it shines bright and burns quick.

I liked Buckhorn, nice facility, and remember it was some of the best food we have had. I also like new and different places too. As for me and Mick we will go to the Rally wherever it winds up, it is the fun trip of the year and wouldn't miss it.

I have more A1 Otr fans to get rid of.
P.S. I pulled up to Jon(A1)'s house early this am and Jon, Di, and Di's sister were all out front waving the A1 Funeral Home Fan. It was great!!

Danss
12-04-2009, 08:46 PM
I am with you Roger! We will go anywhere everybody else goes! I know who you were talking about when you mentioned old farts. Dan & Jo

JIM CHALOUPKA
12-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Did someone mention Palm Springs, that's sounding good right now and there's a nice hot spring and bathhouse close by.

The Tiger run sounds good and looks nice, but it too is at 9000'+ in elevation.

Are there any good places around Seattle, WA or Salt Lake City UT?

JIM

garyde
12-04-2009, 09:59 PM
Roger's right, we shouldn't go anywhere where the sun is shining and the air is crystal clear! The altitude and weather are easily counteredwith planning. don't be afraid of experiencing something new.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-05-2009, 07:19 AM
I don't mind if a few potato chip bags explode at our rally destination, or if the air is so thin my bus leaks air. But I do want to see us end up somewhere.

We are too big and have far too many members to be screwing around trying to decide where we are going to go at this point. It is probable we are going to end up where there is an RV park with room.

I would urge if anyone wants to have discussions and some new ideas for rally locations we should be doing it, but in the context of 2011. If we continue to remain immobile on making a decision for fear someone may not like the destination, it may get resolved by not having a destination at all. This ain't no mini rally being discussed and it could involve as many as 80 or more coaches.

dale farley
12-05-2009, 08:38 AM
Good point Jon. I'll plan to be in Tennessee, Colorado, Texas, Missouri, or any other central location, if I know "where and when." Many of us plan this to be a vacation that fits around other events, so having that time to plan is the most important issue. If we wait much longer, every large park will be taken or our shedules will be full.

HarborBus
12-05-2009, 01:08 PM
I'm from Colorado and I wouldn't be caught dead at 9000 ft with a Prevost in October:eek:. They do a good job keeping the freeways reasonably clear, other than the packed snow, but the secondary roads are a big problem. If everyone is set on Colorado it would be better to get something at lower altitude and close proximity to a freeway. JM2C

merle&louise
12-05-2009, 08:09 PM
How about this place for POG 9? :eek:

http://www.cypresscoveresort.com/HTML/AboutUs.htm

Good climate
Centrally located
Good meeting facilities

It's perfect!

charlesebrownjr
12-05-2009, 08:38 PM
Dirty old man.:eek:
I already made my reservations::D:D
Next weekend is ok by me, we'll call it POG 8 1/2;)
I'm talking about Cypress Cove Resort

garyde
12-05-2009, 11:13 PM
Way to go Tuga, always thinking way ahead. Nice and warm too!

jello_jeep
12-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Hey Tuga, looks like a great place to hang out and meet friends both new and old :)

merle&louise
12-06-2009, 11:36 AM
Warren,

Cheeks Bar & Grill (under Amenities) seems like a great place to hang out

Loc
12-06-2009, 12:31 PM
Tuga,

I am glad to see that you are staying abreast of the latest campgrounds.

merle&louise
12-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Could you see our group of regulars going Commando! Wonder what it would do for new membership!

I think that check in time would be hilarious LOL:D

This is one time that Louise would want to drive the coach to the site while I registered at the office.

Can you believe that people really do this:eek:

jello_jeep
12-07-2009, 12:54 AM
Come on Tuga, whats the big deal ? :)

I saw your name on the guest register when I was checking in!

JIM CHALOUPKA
05-09-2010, 06:45 AM
Would this place be good for POG 10?

I have heard it talked about. Don't have any first hand information. Looks nice on the internet.

http://www.riverviewrvpark.com/

JIM