PDA

View Full Version : Nosing Around

Just Plain Jeff
08-30-2006, 06:54 AM
If you are out of work as I am, you will find that you, well, have more time to spend doing stuff that doesn't have to be done, really.

But then the left headlight went out. Not heeding the Hitman's advice I went to pick up a single bulb. What I found was quite interesting.

1. The cost of the bulb was about 6 bucks from a NAPA store. The least expensive thing I have ever purchased for a bus. In order to replace said bulb, one has to pull the headlight assembly out from the front. Since it is an adjustable headlight, somebody at Prevost had installed it with an additional 2DRYWALL screws to fix it in place, which of course, were rusty and nasty to get out. (Oct97 chassis). Instead of replacing the other headlight, per the advice from the Hitman, I blithely went along thinking everything was fine, only to have the right headlight bulb go out in about another week after that. Same deal with the drywall screws.

2. If you peel back the rubber wheel covers, you should see stainless steel bolts attaching same through the stainless (unless you have an H3 or XLII, which are different). When I inspected here I found two things. a) there was accumulated dirt under the rubber (horrors) and in one case, the bolt was not stainless. Apparently Prevost Car slipped some cheap goods in on the shell at the factory.

So, if you are out of work too, you can find stuff on your bus out of spec. Hopefully stuff that is not as horrible as I am finding.

Joe Cannarozzi
02-13-2007, 06:10 PM
I spent yesterday afternoon nosing around all the "top of the line" Fleetwood products. Southwind, Pace Arrow and the like. I often help a friend that is a local dealer drive his stuff down and set up for the annual R-V show in Rosemont, west of Chicago.

What a difference a year will make. Last year at this time we were in a 26ft Class-C and was longing for one of these.

What a bunch of JUNK,overpriced as well. I was "nosing around" the floor crawling underneath a Southwind and just had to laugh the way they hang the wiring, leaving it to just flap in the wind. I would hate to think how much ice and snow and the additional weight that it represents would do to those zip ties they put an eternity apart. Or the way they left all that plastic plumbing banging around loosly. And the cheep corrigated metal they put unerneeth at the slides. All that beautiful "veneer" covering partical board.

Live and Learn.

On an unrelated note. Having a conversion that is done entirly in copper plumbing I've decided that I have looked at the last post of a picture of somebodys Liberty plumbing gleeming away. I just can't take it any more and as soon as the weather breaks I'll be polishing up every last piece of copper I can get at:eek:

One more thing while I'm rolling here. I had to laugh when a few posted how they catigorize and catalog important stuff suggested here. HELLO, thats what the forum is suppose to be acomplishing, isint it. As I scrolled back looking for the thread I chose for this rant it occured to me that there is probably enough current threads to date to accomidate almost any topic. But far be it from me to suggest anything like that:rolleyes:

dalej
02-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Joe, don't forget to clear coat that copper.

Jon Wehrenberg
02-13-2007, 08:03 PM
no,no,no don't clear coat that copper.

Mine was and as expected there were the darker copper spots underneath the clear coat where microscopic failure points were in the coating. What a pain to restore it. Now when I am waiting for the Metamusil to kick in I go out an polish it, but at least I don't have to fight the clear lacquer.

garyde
02-13-2007, 11:19 PM
Jon Your A-1 is showing. Gary

jonnie
02-14-2007, 10:53 AM
A great reason not to live in Ohio.

John

jonnie
02-14-2007, 11:03 AM
More reasons to move on!

Toy Box
02-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Yep, more proof positive global warming , hell fire and damnation are just around the corner. A low of 74 here in Lauderdsale.

rmboies
02-14-2007, 08:14 PM
"jonnie;A great reason not to live in Ohio.
John"

And we did exactly that 22 years ago John! Come on down to the Carolina's, it is a wonderful place to live and we barely see any of that white stuff! My Mom lives outside of Akron and they had 18 inches of snow today:eek: The sun was bright and it was 50 here so you can see my point;)

mike kerley
02-15-2007, 09:42 AM
79 degrees yesterday in Vero Beach, Florida. Wind out of the west, flat ocean. Somedays the taxes and insurance payments dont seem important!!:)