PDA

View Full Version : Prelude to the hailstorm...

Devin W
11-30-2009, 11:00 PM
It seems only polite to start with a short intro before I launch into my hailstorm of noob questions.

My wife and and purchased a '94 Liberty XL mid-October. While it wasn't the most well-researched purchase, we knew we wanted something that would last a long time and hold up reasonably well to any repair, restorative, or updating dollars that we put into it. Overall, we feel like we made a good purchase on a great coach.

This is our second motorhome. Our first was an '89 Monaco 40' diesel pusher that we purchased very cheap with the idea that we would put some money into it over time assuming we enjoyed using it. If not, we could also get out of it for very little. As it turns out we used it at least once a month during our first year of ownership (some weekends, some week + trips, and even one solo trip I made using it a base camp for work at an event).

Long story longer, we wanted something more substantial, safer, and greater potential for us to get more value out of each dollar that we spend on it and decided to upgrade sooner rather than later so that money invested would go into something more deserving.

So far we've been really happy with the coach and just got back from our first trip -- a week long trip to Houston over Thanksgiving to be with some family. Getting it ready to make the trip had some stressful moments and between that and some experiences from our first trip, I've got a few questions to pose to those that a far more experienced than we are.

I joined the site about a month ago and have been using it to search out solutions to a lot of the little things that were "problems" and the things that were just the result of ignorance on my part. So now comes the interactive part. Hopefully, I'll learn enough to be a resource to others in the future.

I'll be posting questions where they seem most appropriate so thanks in advance for any wisdom that may be shared.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x150/cs427fanatic/1994PrevostLibertyCoachBusConversio.jpg

Devin

garyde
11-30-2009, 11:26 PM
Hi Devin. Good choice in a Coach. There's really not too many bad choices since you bought a Prevost. Some problems will stump anyone but by posting an issue here you will get a half dozen answers which will keep you on the road.

sawdust_128
12-01-2009, 12:41 AM
Welcome aboard.

Jon Wehrenberg
12-01-2009, 07:00 AM
Again, welcome to the asylum.

Trying to learn a new coach such as your Liberty is like drinking from a fire hose. The good news is there are a bunch of very knowledgable people who are on this site, and a lot of Liberty owners.

With any new coach (new or used) you are going to have lots of questions, and will likely turn up problems that need to be solved. I doubt if you will come across anything somebody here hasn't experienced so don't hesitate to post all your questions.

The fastest way for you to get comfortable with your new ride is to attend a rally, even the mini rallies so look for rallies.

phorner
12-01-2009, 07:42 AM
Welcome, Devin.

Jon's advice is spot on. At times, it may seem that questions only lead to more questions, but hang in there.

There is a wealth of information amongst the POG membership, some of it actually correct :eek:

PS: Good choice on the bus :D

truk4u
12-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Devin,

Let the questions fly, you will have lots of help. As you can see, I have the same vintage Liberty, so don't be bashful about asking for help. By the way, your bus number is in 200 range, mine is #278.;)

Do you by chance have any drawing of the low voltage fuse panel located in the driver side bay with the gen radiator?

Devin W
12-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Trying to learn a new coach such as your Liberty is like drinking from a fire hose...

Wow, that statement rings particularly clear and true with me right now...

Oh, and Tom/Truk, I guess I had a 50% chance of getting my number right (I had a coach number labeled as 274 and 774 -- the latter number is the last 3 of the VIN). I referred back to the paper work and the other 3-digit number is 274. Thanks for the education on that.

Devin W
12-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Do you by chance have any drawing of the low voltage fuse panel located in the driver side bay with the gen radiator?

BTW, I'll check on this. I have a several binders that came with the coach and I know one of them is electrical schematics.

Coloradobus
12-09-2009, 08:02 PM
Welcome Devin, nice to see another Coloradoan,
We have a 1992 Beaver XL and are in Wheat Ridge.
We have good Airstream friends that live off of Horsetooth and Capital.

Devin W
12-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Welcome Devin, nice to see another Coloradoan,
We have a 1992 Beaver XL and are in Wheat Ridge.
We have good Airstream friends that live off of Horsetooth and Capital.

Thanks for the welcome guys. We're on the east side of town between Prospect and Mulberry -- we back up to the Riverbend Ponds open space, so we still get a good view of the foothills even though we're getting precariously close to the more tornado prone side of I-25!