PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Streets & Trips

Jamie Bradford
11-28-2009, 09:05 AM
I am currently on a 2008 version of Microsoft Streets & Trips.

Can it be upgraded to the 2010 version or do I need to purchase the new version??

Anyone using the 2010 version?? Is it better than the older version?

Thanks.

Jamie

merle&louise
11-28-2009, 09:17 AM
Jamie,

I am using the 2005 version of MS&T. I really like it. I had the 2003 version and after trying to update it on the internet unsuccessfully I purchased the 2005 version. I found that the 2005 version was the same as the 2003 version. There may have been some updates, but I couldn't find them. All of the new streets that were missing on 2003 were still missing on the 2005 version.

We visited Charleston, SC and while driving over a beautiful new bridge I noticed that on the MS&T w/GPS screen we were not on a road!:eek: Now I know it must have taken at least 2 or 3 years to build this bridge.

I think if you update it (buy a new version) every 10 years you MAY get some updates.

Just my opinion.

Ray Davis
11-30-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm pretty sure you can upgrade from 2008 to 2010. I'm running the 2009 version, and I didn't notice anything significant in that upgrade, however. Most likely newer data in the mapping files for sure.

rahangman
11-30-2009, 10:35 PM
We use DeLorme instead of MS&T because of their year or so updates....I don't know if anyone really makes all updates they claim, pobably so small that normal people won't notice. So, its probably not just MS&T but most of all the GPS'rs...thats my take

Russell Coachworks
12-02-2009, 11:37 AM
Jamie,

Wendy (my wife and leasing agent for Russell Coach) uses Streets and Trips 2008. We had 2005 and bought 2008 when it came out. We rely fully on Streets and Trips as we have found it to be the most accurate. I do know that when we went from 2005 to 2008 we could not see much of a difference in the program. I have not taken a look at 2010, but I cannot see that there would be a huge difference or a great benefit in going from 2008 to 2010. We typically upgrade every 3 to 4 years as there typically is not much of a change. I hope this helps! If you do get 2010, let me know if there is a big upgrade!

Thanks!

Rob Russell
www.russellcoach.com

Jeff Bayley
12-03-2009, 10:50 PM
As an aside to the subject, I have MS&T 2008. I've tried Delorme but found it unintuative compared to MS. I also tried Co Pilot and ditched it for MS. Maybe I just got used to MS Streets and Trips. BUT, for those of you with an I-phone (an amazing device even if your not a MAC user), they have a Co Pilot Live application for it which offers a lot more features than the build in GPS in the new I-phone and I that I-phone version allows you to select what type of vehicle your in including an RV. So it will route you around Parkways and such that have low bridges or are supposed to be for cars only. Most of the applications for the I-phone that you can download are either free or the majority are .99. At $30 or $35, the Co Pilot Live for the phone was the most expensive application I've bought but it was worth it. Be careful. Tom Tom for the i-phone is also available and it is $99 (.99). I presume a lot of people make the mistake of thinking it's .99 after browsing dozens of apps that are .99.

jelmore
12-04-2009, 02:25 PM
I'm curious about the advantage of Streets & Trips over a GPS.

Ray Davis
12-04-2009, 02:38 PM
S&T is a software program which does route planning, as does a GPS (to some degree). The primary difference is that you can print out detailed maps of your route, and it gives you daily drive times, summary info about how many miles driven per day, in each state, etc. It is designed around a trip concept, which might cover a long time period, with dozens of individual legs.

You can interface a GPS into S&T and use it live in a vehicle.

I use S&T for trip planning. One of it's benefits is that the database is in the program, so you do not need the internet to do route planning (some other software does require internet access). It has a pretty good database of points of interest. You can modify the route (ala google maps), by grabbing the suggested route, and pulling it onto the route you'd like to take.

I really like it for trip planning. The maps it draws are pretty darn good. Personally I woudn't use it in a vehicle live, but some do. It's available with or without a GPS, and can hookup to many standard GPS units with the proper cable.

Ray

jelmore
12-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Thank Ray. I had Streets & Trips once on a PC to generate website maps and directions for real estate properties. Those were the days before Google maps. Now I wonder if it might be worthwhile to install Windows on a Mac and get that software again. Might be too many devices. Garmin GPS in the bus, Alpine GPS in the car, iPhone, Google maps. We get lost anyway, which is fun, sometimes.

Ray Davis
12-04-2009, 03:53 PM
I run S&T on a Mac using Fusion. Works fine. There are some custom addins which make it perhaps a little more useful. I have one that gives me pushpins at all the truck related stops (truck stops, rest stops, walmarts etc)