PDA

View Full Version : Front door latch

Joe Cannarozzi
08-29-2006, 06:31 PM
If anyones door latch breaks trying to open the door, like they do when they get worn out, leaving you locked out, there is a real easy way in. There is a round metal plug about 1 inch in diamiter pushed into a hole in the base of the latch toward the front. It is held in by many small cut ends bent over from behind. Carefully pry it out and then with a light if you look rear mabye 1or 2 inches, you can see the linkage that you can very easily push up with just about any implement of your choosing. Time 2 min. Cost 50 cents. Also while we are on the subject I noticed at Osh-Gosh that Jon and Mikes latches were much tighter than ours. Ours was floppy and loose. Do you have a FLOPPY LATCH? The latch was also loose and misadjusted at the striker. When I opened up the door I found some broken return springs, another easy fix. No more floppy latch. Both outside and inside latch return springs were broken. Thats also how I noticed the plug to break in trick. The door closes wonderfully now:) The door hinges are also greasable, small plastic lines run down from both hinges to directly underneath the bus R-F corner where there are 2 grease fittings. We REALLY MISS not having a screen door.

win42
08-29-2006, 10:45 PM
Joe: Thanks for the door lock info it may save out butts some day.
We have been eyeballing those roll to one side screen doors, small and compact. Has anyone tryed to adapt it to Prevost? I have seen them on plastic coaches.
Harry

Just Plain Jeff
08-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Alas, no screen doors on a Prevost.

Three things about doors:

1. You likely have a Corbin lock. These are about impossible to pick. They have 'mushroom tumblers,' so that once the first tumbler is picked, and the second is attempted, the first one returns to the locked position. (Good if you have a key, bad if you don't).

2. The post that the latch clicks on, in most cases, is an eccentric (Oh, how I would love to say something more about that, but won't). Anyway, if you loosen it slightly, you can fiddle around with the tightness of the door when shut.

3. Most people who have to get into a Prevost sans key perform the following procedure: Get a putty knife (careful about the paint job). Put some pressure on the outside of the sliding window toward the front of the coach. With your palm, smack the center seam between the two windows. The usual disclaimers apply if you hit it too hard: But you'll find that this will release the snap lock, having applied pressure with the putty knife or whatever and POP goes the window and you're in.

Priceless.