PDA

View Full Version : Why use a pressure washer?

sawdust_128
11-25-2009, 03:15 PM
I have peeled paint, drilled holes in concrete, drilled holes in wood, bent radiator fins, peeled chrome plating, delaminated plastics, and once, yes it did happen , someone else drilled about halfway through my hand with a pressure washer.

So, why are so many inclined to take one of these to a $30k to $40k paint job on a coach?

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it.

garyde
11-25-2009, 09:00 PM
All the Mobile Detail guys use a pressure washer. Marathon and Millenium install pressure washers in their Coaches. Mango uses a pressure washer!
Its the nozzle that makes the difference.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-25-2009, 09:09 PM
I will never allow anyone to wash my coach, much less aim a pressure washer at it regardless of what nozzle is used.

Washing a coach is time consuming idiot work, but as the owner I am only going to use what I have determined will not harm the finish, or do any damage.

After I have driven to a destination I make an effort to wash or at least do a semi reasonable job of cleaning the coach. I think the stretching and movement required is good for me after sitting relatively motionless for hours while driving, and it give me the opportunity to make sure I don't have any new dings on my braless front.

So far in my 50 years of driving I have never taken a vehicle I own to a car wash, nor allowed anyone to wash a vehicle of mine regardless of if they used a pressure washer or a soft cloth.

merle&louise
11-25-2009, 09:57 PM
I find that pressure washers do NOT remove road grime and oils. It takes a soft brush (Shurhold #960) and soapy water to cut the road grime. I have also found that vinegar and water mixed 50/50 removes splattered bugs from the front of my coach. Simple Green is another soap that does a good job.

I have tried presssure washers, but I really don't like them.

Just my .02 :D

Kevin Erion
11-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Yes I do! I have for over 20 years and will keep blasting away at my 25K paint job with over 1500 PSI! Oh, but I will only use the best in car wash soap, no brushes and DI water.
And it does a great job on the motor and chassis!

sawdust_128
11-26-2009, 05:08 PM
I am not taking issue with the practice. I use a PW (variable 600 - 2200 psi) on the engine and chassis of all my vehicles. But, I stopped using them on the paint jobs, at the edge and seals of windows and other areas that might get damaged by the force (e.g., radiators, light lens, etc).

Now I also back off my statement some, because when things get way too hectic or weather is really bad, I will go to the coin operated car washes with my truck. These are PW systems but I try not to use the high pressure any more than needed.