PDA

View Full Version : Portable GPS

rmboies
08-29-2006, 05:26 PM
Question: I am looking for advice on what type of portable GPS to purchase? I think that Bob-00 might like one for Christmas and I have no idea which system to purchase? It needs to be fairly simple--Bob is not a techno geek:D Thanks,

Debi, aka Mrs.Claus

Ray Davis
08-29-2006, 05:54 PM
I have purchased a Garmin 2730, which I think works great. Rather than a suction cup window mount, it has a weighted bean-bag style base, with non-slip bottom. You can put it on almost anything, and it stays put.

Routing seems to work great, and I've had zero problems with it. You can purchase them new on Ebay for sizable discount. As long as you get a receipt, Garmin will honor the warranty.

I understand they make a newer one now (larger screen) for motorhomes, which might be a good choice. I don't have the model number handy, but could look.

ray

rmboies
08-29-2006, 07:03 PM
Thank you Ray--will check out this model and I appreciate the feedback.

Debi and Bob-00

Jerry Winchester
08-29-2006, 07:17 PM
Debi,

I don't think you can go wrong with any Garmin product. I have 6 Garmin GPS' in various planes and vehicles and they all perform well.

I have really enjoyed the new ones that feature XM weather capability. Very nice out on the road to know what you are about to fun into weatherwise.

Ray Davis
08-29-2006, 07:24 PM
Debi,

It seems that already Garmin has moved past the 2730, but now has a 2820, which looks nice.

http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2820/

-ray

Ben
08-29-2006, 08:37 PM
If you're looking for something truly portable (meaning that you can fit it in your pocket and travel with it when flying, etc.), then I'd look into the Garmin Nuvi. I have one and love it. It's very small, so I can fit it in my briefcase when flying and use it in a rental car. I also use it in my bus and toad.

truk4u
08-29-2006, 09:06 PM
Deb,
I have a Lowrance 500C I-way and it's been great. The screen is large, for us with those freekin bi-focals, touch screen, voice and all the other goodies and is real easy to use.;)

http://www.lowrance.com/images/Automotive/iWAY500c_xlarge.jpg

win42
08-29-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm having good luck with Tom Tom. Easy to use and I take with me on the bus and other vehicles. It came pre loaded with US maps. It finds short cuts I never dreamed of. I like it better than the GM one that came in shirleys cadillac.
harry

MangoMike
08-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Deb,

For cripes sakes, just get BOB-00 a map!

Ok OK.

I, like Truck4u, have the Lowrance 500 and have been happy with it as the screen is real easy to read. Also you can't go wrong with Garmin.

Mike

rmboies
08-30-2006, 08:27 AM
Deb,

For cripes sakes, just get BOB-00 a map!

Mike

ha, well, I did buy him TWO Wal-mart atlas' :rolleyes: I thought this was going to be an easy decision but it seems like there are several GPS out there that will fit the bill. We have a built in one in the coach which works great--the idea of a mobile one would be fun to have and what do you get a man who has everything?? (please don't say Corona Kelly:eek: ) Ben, yours sounds great but as Mike says, some people need the large numbers and letters but of course, I would not yet be one of them:rolleyes: Thanks everyone for the input....

Debi and Bob-00 and his Eckerd glasses

Just Plain Jeff
08-30-2006, 08:34 AM
When the WX goes to tapiocca, we reverify VFR. If there is a chance that IFR will apply, we switch to MAP. If that fails, we go to NAP. Using the white curbside stripe as OMNI is not good in IFR, especially when it leads to an exit ramp. Unless it is NAP.

Sky King would be proud.

MangoMike
08-30-2006, 09:25 AM
http://www.oldies.com/i/boxart/simu/dvd/4/089218477392.jpg

Fire up the Songbird Penny.

rfoster
08-30-2006, 10:29 AM
DEB and BOB00: I also have the Garmin Street Pilot and am very pleased with it. Portable, touch screen, verbal instructions etc. My post is to tell you not to purchase the Pioneer AV3- I purchased it for the bus for the larger screen and dvd etc, but it gives out wrong info in tight spots.

Micki gets my glasses at the Silver Dollar or something like that

rmboies
08-30-2006, 10:40 AM
Thanks Roger, Mango, Ray, Tom, everyone........It appears that the Garmin will be the likely winner. This group is a great resource:D

Hi to Micki !!

Debi and Bob-00