PDA

View Full Version : Re: KVH Software

Alek&Lucia
11-15-2009, 12:46 PM
Hi,

I need KVH dealer programing software. Anybody have a copy of one ?
I have KVH R5 in motion with Dish Network, and somehow on the way back from OKC when I started my antenna everything went to default setting: Direct TV. By KVH recommendations we upgraded 2 boards with newest software, and also installed new Data cable. Now the strange thing is that everything is working OK when the DISH Network receiver and the KVH dish is connected by extension cord in my shop bypassing the bus totally. The second I connect both in the bus I'm loosing everything and the Dish will not lock to any satellite.
Any idea what is going on ?

Alek

Coloradobus
11-15-2009, 12:54 PM
Alek,

Do you have one of the switching boxes that determines where your signal comes from? That maybe bad or a connection is loose. Just a thought. Those switch boxes are inexpensive at Radio Shack.

Alek&Lucia
11-15-2009, 01:03 PM
No switching boxes.
When everything is connected in the bus the KVH dish is just constantly looking for a Sat. and not locking to anything :mad:

stevet903
11-15-2009, 07:36 PM
When you say connected in the bus, do you mean to the AC power?

Alek&Lucia
11-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Yes.
BTW: The Dish is also connected to AC/DC power adapter, not 12V coach.

truk4u
11-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Alek,

Is it possible your system does not like inverter power?

Alek&Lucia
11-15-2009, 08:21 PM
Like I said everything was working perfect, and start playing games on the way back from OKC. I checked the grounding on the Inverters and looks OK.
Also there is no problems with the rest of the bus.

stevet903
11-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Will it work if the power is being supplied from the generator? Generator power is generally "cleaner" than inverter power and would be a good step to troubleshooting this...

mike kerley
11-16-2009, 09:15 AM
I'd change the coax cable from the receiver to the dish first. At least, put new ends on both sides.

ajducote
11-16-2009, 10:26 AM
This is a long shot, but I had this happen to me about 3 years ago.

The dish would never lock on to a satellite. I was ready to buy a new dish, but decided to take this one apart and look first. Real glad I did. My only problem was that a small 3 or 4 wire push on connector had come off of the electronics board on the sat dish. It was under a metal cover that I had to remove before it was visible. Put the cable back on and no problems since then.

jelmore
11-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Alek, when you say connected by extension cord and it works, do you mean connected with coax from RF1 on the R5 to your receiver out of the bus? And then when you reconnect the bus coax to RF1 and reconnect the receiver to that cable, the dish no longer works? Seems that would point only to that piece of bus coax. These systems don't like splices or splitters, so if there is something like that in the bus coax cable, that may be the trouble spot. Maybe it came loose. Do you have continuity from one end to the other on the bus coax?

GDeen
12-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Ok, I have the R6 and have what sounds like a similar problem. Has been working fine until last week. Now the antenna whirrs and whirrs and just doesn't lock on it seems. Initially I thought it was Direct TV's box and had them out yesterday. The tv would show starting to download data and then just quit. Turns out, no signal coming in from antenna.

The Direct hand and I check through all connections - he said splices can be bad. None were found. Got on the roof and checked the coax inlet to the antenna and it was good with good contact.

I called KVH tech service just now and of course they want a serial number to offer me the latest and greatest upgrade. I asked the hand what would normally be the problem, and he said it was dependent on the serial number and where it fell in their product development. When pressed, he said the rotary joint or slip ring could get corroded and prevent the antenna from fully rotating.

Any updates on your situation Alek? Any other ideas?

Orren Zook
12-14-2009, 04:43 PM
Alek, have you tried another power outlet in the coach? Maybe it just has to do with that outlet plug.

Alek&Lucia
12-15-2009, 12:01 AM
Gordon,

After KVH upgraded 2 boards with newest software, they did not send the A and B Keys with it.
They overnighted them, and it is working now.

The dish is working well now, and we are very happy !

Alek

GDeen
12-18-2009, 10:00 AM
Follow up: last night pulled the dome off the dish, pulled the metal plate off the housing and checked and confirmed all connections. Did not see anything obviously loose, but applied connecting pressure to all. Put it back together, backed the coach outside and re-booted KVH receiver. Colts on NFL network suddenly so it seems something was loose.

Thanks for the suggestion to check the metal box out AJ!

Jon Wehrenberg
12-18-2009, 11:08 AM
I am not familiar with the KVH receiver and connections since I removed mine far enough back to have all memory of it fade like my nightime eyesight.

But I do know from experience that the cable TV connections can have a bad center contact. The butt connectors for example have a spring loaded center contact that is supposed to make good contact with the center wire on the cable TV connector. If that is loose it will drive you crazy because tightening and loosening the connection will restore the connection, only to have it fail again. That's the kind of simple stuff that will drive you and the techs absolutely nuts. If there is any doubt replace those connectors..

GDeen
12-18-2009, 11:59 AM
I am not familiar with the KVH receiver and connections since I removed mine far enough back to have all memory of it fade like my nightime eyesight.

But I do know from experience that the cable TV connections can have a bad center contact. The butt connectors for example have a spring loaded center contact that is supposed to make good contact with the center wire on the cable TV connector. If that is loose it will drive you crazy because tightening and loosening the connection will restore the connection, only to have it fail again. That's the kind of simple stuff that will drive you and the techs absolutely nuts. If there is any doubt replace those connectors..

Know what you mean - the direct tv guy was nice enough to test all the coax connectors and they were fine. There are multiple plastic electronic connectors and ciruit boards under the hood. I am assuming that something worked loose when we were cleaning and painting the roof. You can see the dome moving from roof flex when moving around it.