PDA

View Full Version : Side Rails?

Ray Davis
08-24-2006, 11:07 PM
I'm not sure what these are called, whether they are rub rails, or side rails, or trim pieces or what.

I have the 9" tall pieces, either chrome or stainless (haven't looked that closely). I've got a couple which are dinged up a little bit, and I'd like to look into replacing.

Any thought as to where to get these. I looked at IBC, and it looks like it may be the place, but can't tell from their website.

Any help looking for a source would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ray

MangoMike
08-24-2006, 11:24 PM
Ray,

If you have a Liberty I have the same ones. Just ordered a replacement panel for my '97 - but $9.50 per linear inch from the factory in Chicago. Ouch. IBP may have the same, but hopefully cheaper. I wasn't smart enough to call IBP.

Mike.

Ray Davis
08-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Ouch! $9.50 per inch. That's about $350 per panel (give or take). Yow. At that price, perhaps I'll just buff out the couple of small scratches? :(

win42
08-25-2006, 12:55 AM
Ray: Your rub rails are ss and if they are not too bad they can be repaired. Dents can be pressed out. If the dents are in front of one of the mounting brackets, the bracket has to be removed before pressing the dents out and welded back on. Scratches can be removed by a series of rotary flapper wheel sanders and final power buffing. If you have a plating/polishing shop near you that straightens bumpers they would have the equipment to do it for you. The rails are easy to remove and put back on. I suggest you talk to a plating/polishing shop by phone to make sure they will do it before taking it to them. There will be no plating required, just ss welding and polishing.

I have a short section of one of mine to do and I will do it myself. SS is very forgiving and easy to work with the right tools. Another good reason we own Prevosts.
Harry

MangoMike
08-25-2006, 02:15 AM
Harry,

With your experience in SS I think you should give a talk at POGII and perhaps a little hands on demo if possible in the art of polishing and buffing.
Earn your keep. :)

Mike

win42
08-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Mike: I'll probably be the only one there without a polished coach. But if you really want me to, I'll try and round up some materials for a show and tell.

Harry

Ray Davis
08-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Harry, thanks for the advice. That certainly may be a better way to go. Still curious (just to have in my reference), does anyone know of a cheaper source for these pieces?

win42
08-25-2006, 07:59 PM
Ray: Did you get a quote from IBP?

The cheapest way would be to get Jon or myself to un-retire and go down to our shops and do it for 1950 wages. But neither one of us are going to do it.
Harry

Ray Davis
08-25-2006, 08:06 PM
No, I haven't called them yet. I am going out to get the bus at DD tonight, and I'll measure the panels to see exactly what size panels might need replacing. Then I can get a more reasonable price?

Would you come out of retirement if we got Corona Kelly to come visit the shop?? :rolleyes:

dalej
08-25-2006, 09:01 PM
Ray, what is the deal on the orange coach your little photo looks burgandy. Never seen a orange Prevost. I bet you photoshop it, didn't you.

win42
08-25-2006, 09:51 PM
Ray:
Corona Kelly may work for Jon but with me she would be known afterwards as Coronary Kelly. Good eye candy though.

I would definately be a hero to the shop guys for bringing her.

Harry

dalej
08-26-2006, 07:38 AM
Harry you sure you want to polish stainless while in Santa Fe? That is such a messy job, I get polish and buffer lint all over the place when I do it, so I don't do it very often. My big Makita weights around 10 pounds so its quite a work out holding it up to polish. Maybe just do a power point show:) But if you do I will be glad to assist you if you need me to bring bars or my polisher (just for show though).

win42
08-26-2006, 09:59 AM
Your On Dan:
I'll bring some SS pcs. and some pre-buff scratch remover grinder wheels and we'll show tell together. You bring your buffer and buffing roughe. Jon will be there in case we get it wrong, he can straighten us out. I'm sure he'll want to lend us a hand.

I'm sure Lew will want to be our third baseman and point out any weakness in our presentation. He'll want a microphone and podium of course.

Your right it will be a little messy, but I'm sure we can find an outdoor spot to get it done. Bring your shop apron, gloves and face shield.

" What time does the tent go up on this Circus? "

See what you created Mango.:p

Harry / La Tinaguerro

lewpopp
08-26-2006, 11:55 AM
42 wins...Not a bad record as long as the wins out weigh the losses.

I finally found a good reason to own a Prevost. The stainless steel. WOW !

For your information, Jon is not retired. that's his answer when you ask him what he retired from. I have come to the conclusion he was born with a silver spoon in his........um, a, mouth, so he didn't have to gainfully work.

Where are you Jon ?

win42
08-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Way to go Lew; Yatta !Yatta ! Yatta ! Swing Batter Swing. Your the best third baseman anyone could hope for. Gotcha again.
H

lewpopp
08-26-2006, 08:27 PM
It's Yadda, Yadda, Yadda. Who got whom? Win lost !!!

reelentless
08-27-2006, 08:57 PM
Ray, I have had the rails replaced on my Prevost, IBS has them in stock call Rich and tell him David sent you, he will be very helpful.

Ray Davis
08-28-2006, 12:44 PM
Ray, what is the deal on the orange coach your little photo looks burgandy. Never seen a orange Prevost. I bet you photoshop it, didn't you

Actually my coach is pure red. I'd almost call it fire-engine red, but I'm not sure if that's really quite the color. It was a custom paint job by the previous owner.

reelentless, thanks for the tip. I'll give them a call.

ken&ellen
09-06-2006, 04:09 PM
Relentless, I took your lead and contacted International only to find out Rich is no longer there. Howard is getting back to me....I think...it has been a couple of days. Customer service seems to be a thing of the past...I had a very similar experience with Liberty recently....finally had to go to another vendor. Ken:mad: