PDA

View Full Version : How much fuel???

flyu2there
11-08-2009, 07:30 AM
I have a 99 CC conversion built on a 98 shell and its a 40 foot model. I am in a running debate with another gentleman (not a Pog Member) who insists that I have 250 gallons in two tanks, a large 160 gallon tank and a smaller 90 gallon tank. My refueling, even when I have run close to m t has never been greater than 130 gallons. So, at the end of the day, whats an easy way, without getting too greasy to determine the tank configuration...Prevost manual shows 160 with a 90 gallon option. My configuration only has one fill, RHS, the one on the left is the Glendinning Power Cord. Ideas...........

John

truk4u
11-08-2009, 08:16 AM
You have 208 you ole tin driver, if you had 250 you would have a Liberty!;) Have you ever found the 2nd tank? I know you have had every panel and compartment apart. You can almost see the hose connection area underneath without getting under the bus. Quit working on that Seneca and get a little dirty!:D

flyu2there
11-08-2009, 08:26 AM
Nice smile Tom....need to get those teeth cleaned, however:D

rfoster
11-08-2009, 09:00 AM
I ran my completely out of fuel once upon a time. Specs stated fuel capacity at 208 gals.

I pumped in 215 after the road service guy put in 10 gals.

I do know that without a doubt that I have only one tank.

I told the gal at the cash register that I could only hold 208 - whats up with this?

Will Garner
11-08-2009, 09:09 AM
At least you went to see the clerk at the register, unlike one of our POGGERS that filled up and then made a get away while pulling a toad too!

flyu2there
11-08-2009, 09:18 AM
I ran my completely out of fuel once upon a time. Specs stated fuel capacity at 208 gals.

I pumped in 215 after the road service guy put in 10 gals.

I do know that without a doubt that I have only one tank.

I told the gal at the cash register that I could only hold 208 - whats up with this?

Sounds like the weights and measures guy is long overdue! Could well be a "technical" adjustment by the fueling station operator to mildy increase the bottom line........

Coloradobus
11-08-2009, 11:16 AM
It stated our coach has the extra tank. ( 160+90=Total 250 per fuel door tag) However, we have been able to pump in only 185 gallons when the guage is between a quarter and empty. :D

rahangman
11-08-2009, 11:50 AM
Without my doing the math, has anyone thought about a difference being metric?

sawdust_128
11-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Tom, have they given you any indication as to how long that's going to take to heal?

Sorry for your troubles.

rfoster
11-08-2009, 07:19 PM
I have got to remember to always follow Truk.
Redneck.

HarborBus
11-08-2009, 09:20 PM
The specs on our coach state that we have 250 gal fuel capasity, so I'm assuming it is 160 + 90. With the guage showing a quarter, I just put in 196 gal.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-09-2009, 09:40 AM
At one time with the 8V92 coaches the fuel tank was 160 gallons and the optional tank added 90.

When coaches switched to the Series 60 the standard tank became 208 gallons and the 90 gallon was the optional tank.

But having said that there are also various other sizes so an owner has to rely on the coach build sheet, something they can probably get from Prevost by providing their VIN.

My first coach had 250 gallon capacity, and my current has the 298 gallon capacity. Neither gauge was accurate enough for me to predict tank size. I also have never understood whether our rated capacity reflects a tank that is absolutely full or one that has the 10% additional volume for expansion.

charlesebrownjr
11-09-2009, 10:57 PM
I also have a 98 Prevost and a 99 CC. I have the two tank configuration.
The 160 tank is in the 3rd. bay curbside with the sending unit in it and the 90 gallon tank is just in front of it only visible from underneath the coach.
It is about 6" wide and goes all the way across the coach.
Both of my tanks are white plastic and connected with a rubber hose. (I know it is much more sophisticated than plastic, but thats the best I can do for now.) CC would never use common plastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think some of the problem in only putting in 180 gal is that, as I have come to learn, Prevost fuel gauges are inherently unreliable. I have put in 224 gal (after running out)
I have talked to many people who swear that all coaches have 208, but for some reason the 40 footers we have do have 250

flyu2there
11-10-2009, 06:32 AM
My running ebate (debate) continues. I was advised that all CC 40's since the introduction of the series 60, have 250 gallons. Some apparently have dual fills while others, like mine, only fills from the RHS. Additionally mine fills like a 45, at the rear of bay 3, into the 160 gallon tank, while others apparently fill forward of bay three into the aux. I now gather that although I may have the 250 gallon tank system, the main fills first then overflows into the aux tank; trouble is that the high spped pump shovels fuel in faster than the aux tank will accept it so consequently I rarely carry more than 160 or so........ The fuel tank sending unit is in the main so I still show "full"

John

Jon Wehrenberg
11-10-2009, 06:59 AM
Your fuel will seek its own level in both tanks if the coach is equipped with the optional tank. The optional tank is connected to the main tank top and bottom so as the main fills the optional tank is filling at the same rate. I doubt if you can fill the main tank and leave fuel out of the optional tank because the fuel in both tanks will sit at the same level.

The puking of fuel is another whole different issue and I have resigned myself to fill fast until I am about 30 gallons shy of full, and then go to the lowest flow rate on the nozzle. Despite a flow rate of only a few gallons per minute the fuel nozzle will shut off, and after a count to three will puke some fuel. But I know both tanks are full so I will tolerate the mess until I can get home and clean it off.

flyu2there
11-10-2009, 07:20 AM
Jon,

While I agree that fuel will seek its own level, I also believe that the high speed pumps shoot the fuel in faster than the inter connects and venting systems can handle, hence the spitting. I do not know how the 45's are plumbed, but on mine, the main tank is filled from the nozzle. Other 40's have the aux tank being filled first. I have never been spit on even at max pump speed, perhaps it is the single fill, perhaps it is because the main is taking the fuel...dunno. My best guess is that once my main fills, although the aux is filling as well but at a slower rate, I get the auto shut off and the overflow is absorbed by the aux tank...no spitting mainly because I have extra room for additional fuel. My gauge reads full and I think that my tank (s) are at capacity when in reality I may have a long way to go.

merle&louise
11-10-2009, 08:26 AM
I also have a 98 Prevost and a 99 CC. I have the two tank configuration.
The 160 tank is in the 3rd. bay curbside with the sending unit in it and the 90 gallon tank is just in front of it only visible from underneath the coach.
It is about 6" wide and goes all the way across the coach.
Both of my tanks are white plastic and connected with a rubber hose. (I know it is much more sophisticated than plastic, but thats the best I can do for now.) CC would never use common plastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think some of the problem in only putting in 180 gal is that, as I have come to learn, Prevost fuel gauges are inherently unreliable. I have put in 224 gal (after running out)
I have talked to many people who swear that all coaches have 208, but for some reason the 40 footers we have do have 250

Why not just measure the dimensions of the tank(s) and calculate the capacity? number of gallons!

Steve Bennett
11-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Standard fuel for a 40' XL is 160 gallons, standard fuel for a 45' XL is 208. The Prevost aux (long range) tank is 90 gallons, so 250/40' or 298/45'. Sometimes a converter will do a custom aux. tank, and the dimensions (capacity) can very considerably.

Denny
11-10-2009, 11:12 AM
According to the CC literature I have from when my coach was new in 1999, 1998 chassis, all 40XL have 250 gallons while 45XL have 208 gallons.

phorner
11-11-2009, 07:55 AM
My Liberty has as large a tank as I can afford to keep filled :D

Jon Wehrenberg
11-11-2009, 08:44 AM
It's not how big the tank is, it's how much of what is in the tank that you use.

FWIW, those that have the fortitude to do the research, compare how much you spent for fuel over a period of time, and then compare that with the depreciation suffered over the same period of time. That will make $5.00 fuel look cheap by comparison.

Get out there and burn lots of fuel and have as much fun as you can while trying to wear out your coach. The more you use your coach the lower the cost per mile. And as a side note, Rob Russell who you all met in OKC has said that the best thing we can all do is run our coaches about 80,000 miles per year because our buses are built to run those miles and they perform best when they are run.

So no matter how big you fuel tank is, see how often you can fill it this year.

BrianE
11-11-2009, 10:30 AM
To illustrate Steve's comment re converter specific tank installations, I called Royale Phoenix to get the lowdown on Royale fuel capacity. Dan Jourdan at Royale told me that Royale coaches have an added 60 gallon tank mounted on the rear wall of the first bay. This has been standard since '83 or '84 and continued until the 2000 conversion (99 chassis). Hence late model Royale 40 footer's have a capacity of 250+60 and all 45's 208+60 unless otherwise customer ordered....

Kenneth Brewer
11-11-2009, 11:17 AM
"Get out there and burn lots of fuel and have as much fun as you can while trying to wear out your coach."

Jon, I have offered this quote of yours along with the last one, to my wife, as well. Jon makes me do this, dear, we'll pay for it somehow.

truk4u
11-11-2009, 08:11 PM
310 gallons?:eek:

Jon Wehrenberg
11-12-2009, 07:03 AM
I'm with Truk.......I have a hard time believing a converter, especially one who had a niche on the economic side of the spectrum would add another tank in addition to the standard tank and the optional 90 gallon one.

I have not always gotten accurate answers from "experts".

Steve Bennett
11-12-2009, 12:49 PM
I would expect Royal to have ordered standard 40' fuel (160) if they were going to add their own tank. If their aux. tank is 60 gallons that would give a 40' Royal 220 gallons. It would be rare for a coach to have a Prevost aux. tank, and a second converter aux. tank. We sold a 45' XLII Thompson with standard Prevost fuel, that the owner had rigged up a removable extra tank that could be positioned in a storage bay. It was not installed when we sold the coach, but I believe it added 75 gallons or so of capacity. It was similar to what you see added to aircraft that are being ferried overseas.

BrianE
11-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Sheesh! A guy can't even make an honest mistake around here. Royale 40 footer= 160+60. I'm gonna send Truk my phone bill.:mad:

Jon Wehrenberg
11-12-2009, 05:38 PM
At what point did you think anyone on here was going to cut anyone else a little slack? This is not the web site for anyone with thin skin.

Now you know that sometimes people who profess to know stuff don't.

flyu2there
11-12-2009, 05:46 PM
So I guess this is settled, you either have 160, 208, 250 or 298 unless you have a Royal...then it's up for grabs. The plastic shielded series 60's are 250, the plastic shielded 8V,s are 160, the plastic shielded XLV's have 208...that's all that really matters :D:D:D

truk4u
11-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Jon,

I think the Mole Man is spending wayyyyy too much time in the desert!:cool:
I better check all my specs and numbers again....:rolleyes: