PDA

View Full Version : broken shock

bluevost
11-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Hey POGgers,

I was at Mira Loma yesterday working with Luis on my front air bag issue. After we resolved that issue, he inspected the bus while it was in the air. He calls me over and says we got another problem. Busted shock on the tag wheel curbside. Wow, where and when did that happen? Who knows. Many of you know Janet and I just finished an 11,500 mile trip to OKC and back. I have no idea when it happened. This shock is not something you can easily see on a normal "walk around". Also, just inboard of the top shock mount is a radial arm. This arm helps keep the bus from swaying port to starboard. One bolt was missing, one was loose, one was tight. You would only see this from underneath the bus.

My point here is this. I think there are a lot of POGgers like myself. I don't feel comfortable getting under the bus, I don't have the skills to do stuff on my own, I don't have a lot of heavy duty tools, and I don't know what the heck I'm looking at anyway. Who knows about a radial arm?? So I urge you to befriend someone with a knowledge of our bus chasis, get the thing in the air, grab a flashlight and inspect it together front to back. You never know what you might find.

sawdust_128
11-07-2009, 02:14 PM
Great points. Thankfully you found this before something bad happened.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Whether you are your own mechanic or you rely on one a "preflight" inspection should be a routine part of your maintenance.

Anytime someone is beneath the bus that person should take advantage of the opportunity to check for fluid leaks, hub seal leaks, brake pad and brake shoe condition, brake drum or disc cracks, chafing or rubbing on hoses or wires, loose or missing parts, nuts, bolts, and for signs of wear.

Prior to a trip, even if you cannot get under the coach you can do a pre trip inspection with a light check, a brake check as prescribed in commercial driver handbooks, and check engine belts and hoses as well as all fluid levels. Finally, move the coach and look at where it was parked for evidence of dripping or leaking. Just after I hook up Di stands outside and listens. She can hear any unusual noises such as when I leave the brake on the Hummer.

I do not think the average mechanic will do an inspection of your coach unless you ask for it specifically.