PDA

View Full Version : Removing Road Tar

tdelorme
11-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Somewhere I picked up several hundred tiny dots of road tar on the back of the bus. While I was pondering what to use to remove the tar and not damage the clear coat, Jan comes up and ask me what I was doing. When I show her the tar spots, she says to hold on, she has just the thing to get them off. She comes out of the house with a can of Pam spray from the kitchen. Yep, Pam will sure enough loosen the tar up enough so that they scrub off with very little effort.

BrianE
11-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Ted, Try mineral spirits (paint thinner) or kerosene, they won't harm the finish and work quickly. DO NOT use laquer thinner.

Jerry Winchester
11-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Brian,

Isn't bug and tar remover just an aerosol can of kerosene?

Just do what Loc does; call the porter and tell them the bus has caca on it and have it cleaned off.

Xtreme James
11-02-2009, 01:46 PM
Diesel fuel works pretty good !

BrianE
11-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Beats me JDUB, you're the oil expert. Since road tar is petroleum based, almost any mild distillate should work. Never tried hair of the dog though. :rolleyes:

HarborBus
11-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Clay bar works great for road tar and many other contaminates like over spray, bugs etc. It's used allot by the professional detailers. Meguiars and several other companies have it.

truk4u
11-04-2009, 06:39 AM
Is caca the same as Loc droppings?:confused:

Loc
11-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Keep swinging guys. I never tire of being the POG Pinata. The only downside is that no matter how long or how hard you hit there will never be any candy. At some point you will tire and resort back to the "Kick Me" sign. Boys will be boys.