PDA

View Full Version : HAVE YOU CHECKED YOUR "DIFF" BRREATHER??

Coloradobus
11-02-2009, 09:52 AM
How many in their routine maintenance have the Breather on the Differntial checked to make sure its venting properly. I have ask a service center for years, "How does the Diff Breather look?", and the answer was always, FINE. its OK.
We were having a problem with axle flange seals(either side) weeping, yielding oil dots of diff fluid on the innner ring of the outside dual. Hubcap removal would show the paper seal at the axle flange had failed.

for $11.95 est. cost of a new breather, removing the old proved it had long since been useful.
Replacement of the "breather" and we no longer have "diff"oil dots on the drive outer wheel.
I mentioned this to a friend who reecently said his pinion seal has begun to sling oil under the bus. Now the seal could be weak, but a change in the breather and no more slung oil.

I replaced the breather on our new current coach, as a prevention, and found that its 17 year old breather had marginal spring in its spring loaded top.
A previous issue on a previous bus, a pressure build up in the differential from heat or changing altitude, diffential oil was splattering about from arounnd the axle flange seal.. A new breather, no more oil splatter. We will see.

Just a thought.

BrianE
11-02-2009, 10:43 AM
Jim & Chris,

Thanks for the info. Something else to add to the inspection list when rolling around under the bus.

tpr
11-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Coloradobus,
What is a diff Breather, where do I find it on the bus. I have been getting small specks on my toad on the drivers side down low on the car after a long hard run.

tdelorme
11-02-2009, 07:20 PM
Yea, come on guys, if not a picture, at least give us a hint where to look. I know where it is on my coach, but, you know, all the other folks who aren't quite as "one with the bus" as we are need a clue.

BrianE
11-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Okay, here it is. It's located on the top of the differential (part #6) and may be covered with grease. Chances are you'll need a flashlight too. If you remove it, it may clean up in solvent and work fine. If you need to replace it, the part number is either 620442 or 621587 but give year and model to be sure you get the right one.

tdelorme
11-02-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks, Brian. When you say, "remove it" you mean like unscrew it fron the differential? You don't happen to remember what size wrench do you?

Kevin Erion
11-02-2009, 10:03 PM
TPR, I would guess the oil on your toad is from the draft tube. This is the engine crank case vent tube and it will allow some oil to drip on that side of the engine.

BrianE
11-02-2009, 10:30 PM
Ted, Ask Loc, he'll know for sure.

GDeen
11-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks, Brian. When you say, "remove it" you mean like unscrew it fron the differential? You don't happen to remember what size wrench do you?

Ted just go oilfield on it and take a 24 and 8 lb hammer under there with you. It will come out.

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
11-06-2009, 06:07 PM
In my days with trucks we just reached up to the top of the breather and twisted the top to make sure it was not cloged during service. I cant say if they have changed in design. Mine has no lube on it and turns free.

Ed

Loc
11-07-2009, 08:11 AM
Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course.

It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State.