PDA

View Full Version : Pelican Lake Coach Fire

rickdesilva
10-31-2009, 04:42 PM
No pictures yet, but I just got a call that there was an American Eagle Rally at Pelican Lake and last night one of the coaches had a refrigerator fire. The owners and their dog escaped but needless to say the coach was totalled. My understanding is that it went up like a match and blew thru the roof. The coach was parked on the site next to our lot and the heat was so intense the vinyl siding on our coach house melted. The word is also that the smoke detectors didn't go off and they woke up because of the smoke in the coach. If I can get pictures I'll post them but we're not heading down there for another month.

Ray Davis
10-31-2009, 07:24 PM
Sorry to hear about their loss. It just also happened to be an American Eagle & refrigerator that took out my bus and Mike Simmons', 18 months ago.

Ray

merle&louise
10-31-2009, 09:00 PM
Boy, it sure seems like a lot of coaches catch on fire!

A friend of mine had a Travel Supreme that caught on fire while he and his wife were at the top of the Lake Charles high rise bridge in Lake Charles, LA near the Texas border. By the time that they stopped the coach; they barely escaped with their lives. The coach exploded in flames!

Then there was the one in Ray & Mike's storage unit, the one in Port St. Lucie, and now this one in Pelican Lake RV Park!

What causes these refrigerators to catch on fire?

jonnie
11-01-2009, 08:13 AM
There was a large recall by the manufacturer by refrigerator serial number within the last year. It seems that there was a problem with the vent stack and it needed to be replaced because of the possibility of fire. I don't recall all the details but I had mine replaced under recall on my American Heritage.
This problem goes back at least to 1999/2000.

rickdesilva
11-12-2009, 09:42 AM
This is getting very interesting and educational. Travelers Insurance is the insurance company that insured the totalled coach. My neighbors site was heavily damaged. Pavers destroyed, coach house siding melted and vegitation damaged. I only had damaged siding on my coach house, about $500. Travelers position is that they are not going to pay for anyone's damage because they can't show that their insured party caused the damage. I guess they are going to attempt to find out what caused the damage (refrigerator?) and have that insurance carrier handle the claim. Not too bad for me but lousy for my neighbor.

tdelorme
11-12-2009, 11:41 AM
So Travelers is going to deny claims that are what, under 20 grand? In exchange they get an untold amount of ill will that will cost the company many thousands from potential customers and renewals. Yea, that sounds about right. The degree of corporate stupidity never ceases to amaze.
Rick, if I were you I would file in small claims court. It would at least make them pay attention to your claim and perhaps realize it would cost much more than $500 to defend as opposed to paying for your damage.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-12-2009, 11:50 AM
Rick would have to sue his neighbor. His neighbor would then have to go after whoever it was determined has the primary responsibility. The neighbor at this point has all the grief he can handle.

However I would try to get Travelers to put their position on this in writing and then spread their response al over the internet.

BUSTER
11-12-2009, 03:10 PM
When my bus was in the fire...

I turned the claim into my insurance company. They paid the clain in full after my deductible. They went after the coach that caused the fire who went after the refrig company that caused the fire....reluctantly...the refrig company paid my insurance carrier who in turm paid me my deductible.

Naturally, there were numerous investigators involved along the way.

My claim was settled within 90 days...it took a year to get my deductible back

Good luck !!!