PDA

View Full Version : New Member From NC

travelite
10-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Hi Folks,

I recently joined POG to better my understanding of these magnificent machines and to get to know the folks who own them.

Five years ago I bought my first bus and first motorhome, a 2002 BlueBird Wanderlodge LXi. My family and I love the bus and the lifestyle. Recently the Wanderlodge Coachworks factory along with it's contents were auctioned off. Sadly, we Wanderlodge owners are now orphans. I've long had a fascination with the Prevost marque and know that my next bus will be a Prevost. My wife and I have a 3 year old boy and a newborn baby girl; needless to say, I'm very interested in how others work family life into bussing. I'm looking forward to soaking up the vast knowledge on this forum. Thanks for having us! :)

Best,
David Brady and Family,
'02 Blue Bird Wanderlodge, LXi,
NC

Coloradobus
10-30-2009, 03:46 PM
David,
Welcome and glad your enjoying your "Bird." Don't fret too much about the label "Orphan" since Parliament Coach bought all the BlueBird proprietary information, so you have a source. Unlike ourselves, when Monaco bought Beaver Coach, they destroyed all proprietary parts and info. This leaves all 35 of us, as true "Orphans", but have each other to share information

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Converter Parliament Coach Buys Blue Bird Assets
Email This Post Print This Post October 19, 2009 by RV Business Comments Off
High-end bus converter Parliament Coach Corp., Clearwater, Fla., has purchased the intellectual property of bankrupt Coachworks Holdings Inc., manufacturer of the Blue Bird Wanderlodge motorhome.

The purchase includes technical data pertaining to all coaches produced by Blue Bird Wanderlodge dating from the 1960s to the present.

The purchase was completed through Hudson & Marshall Auctioneers in the final bankruptcy auction of Coachworks Holdings Inc., Fort Valley, Ga.
The items included all parts information, wiring schematics, diagrams, blueprints and supplier, vendor and service records.

Coachworks, which shut down production last spring, was not affiliated with school bus manufacturer Blue Bird Corp.

”The importance of retaining this vital information for Blue Bird owners is critical,” said Parliament President Steve Mitchell. ”There are approximately 3,500 Blue Bird Coaches operating through the United States and Canada. I wanted to provide an obvious needed service to these owners and make sure they did not end up as orphans.”

Family-owned Parliament Coach is a manufacturer of high-line coach conversions, specializing in sales, marketing, painting and other services. As a franchised dealer, Mitchell and other family members have been representing Blue Bird since 1978.

Blue Bird

travelite
10-30-2009, 03:53 PM
That's right Jim. In 2004 I bought my coach from Steve Mitchell (owner of Parliament Coach). We in the Wanderlodge community are thrilled that Steve is the current owner of the Wanderlodge name along with 40 years of intellectual property. Hey, don't go shootin' holes in my argument to buy a Prevost; I almost have my wife convinced! LOL :)

edsaylor
10-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Welcome to POG, David. I like many others in this group, had Birds before moving uo to Prevost. You have a true Bird, which was a very good coach. When you do step up to Prevost, you will be surprised how much advanced they are, Especially if you get a Liberty! Again, Welcome.:)

MangoMike
10-30-2009, 04:49 PM
I hear Steve Bennet over at California Coach has a nice 45' Liberty for sale.

Thanks for the segway Ed.

GDeen
10-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Welcome David. I first got bus fever from looking at a Bluebird a few years ago...

travelite
10-30-2009, 05:49 PM
You have a true Bird, which was a very good coach.

Thanks Ed, that's very kind of you to say. The LXi is really the result of 40 years of Wanderlodge evolution. While it pushes the envelop in many areas in terms of Wanderlodge design and development, it also shares much with its past. One of the endearing qualities that I'm going to miss is the blue electrolumenescent dash with the countless gauges and switches. I've been to Parliament Coach on many occasions and have driven many of Steve's coaches. The Prevost is certainly in a class of it's own. While the Wanderlodge entertains with its idiosyncrasies, the Prevost impresses with it's German-like precision. Two very different experiences, both quite capable and enjoyable. It's great to see some Wanderlodge fans here on POG.

David Brady
'02 BlueBird, Wanderlodge LXi,
NC

truk4u
10-30-2009, 08:19 PM
David,

Welcome aboard, you found the right place for anyone with MPD! I must correct your reference to your bird as a bus.:eek: The only real bus is a Prevost.;) Let the fun begin.....:D

Will Garner
10-30-2009, 08:23 PM
David,

First welcome to POG, or the asylum as Jon refers to us.

Second, your posting does not say what part of NC you hail from.

Lastly, we almost bought a Wanderlodge three years ago. We went to the Bluebird plant in Fort Valley (?) Ga while on a vacation at Hilton Head. Yes it was a day trip. The person at the plant was very rude and callous to us even though we were potential customers. So we bought a Prevost instead. It is possible that we were not the only ones given such shabby treatment and could explain why the Bird went down.

If you are anywhere close to Southern Pines we should get together sometime and talk buses.

jack14r
10-30-2009, 09:24 PM
David,welcome to POG,I also live in NC,Greensboro to be exact,my coach is in Thomasville where I work.I would welcome a visit if you are headed this way,I am there almost every day.Since I sold JDUB his Marathon and I have had 2 Liberty coaches I can steer you in the right direction.

travelite
10-30-2009, 10:25 PM
We live in Asheville NC.

Will, I'm sorry to hear how BB treated you. It's not difficult to see that a major factor in their failure was Sales and Marketing. At one point they decided to sell direct and told their decade old dealership network to take a hike. Yikes!

Thanks Jack and Will for the invitations, if/when I get out to Southern Pines or Greensboro I'll be sure to look you guys up. The newborn has a grounded for a while...

Thank you all for a warm welcome. :)

David Brady
'02 Wanderlodge, LXi, NC

garyde
10-30-2009, 10:45 PM
Welcome David. I remember 14 years ago attending a FMCA Rally and walking past a plethora of Blue Birds all parked together at a Rally. Very impressive site. I have had RV's for a while now, raising all my kids with trips thru out the country. Certainly my Prevost is the ultimate in travel. Now, most of the kids are grown, but we took a trip to Idaho with two daughters, a friend, my son and my wife and I. Had a great time.
There are quite a few members with families. I'm sure they will share their experiences as well.

sawdust_128
10-31-2009, 12:16 AM
Welcome aboard. We are in Raleigh. It is beginning to look like we should start thinking about a Carolina's mini rally. I know there are a few more Tar Heels lurking on the forum who might be coaxed out of the silence and shadows.

Heck, we could even invite the commanders and spouses of the stainless steel oyster barge fleet from Tennessee.:D

rahangman
10-31-2009, 12:55 AM
This last summer (2009) we attended big FMCA in Bowling Green, OH and I was amazed, as Garyde says...a slew (maybe 6 - 8 ) Wonderlodges all parked together and Very Proud of themselves. oh....by the bye, welcome to POG

Jon Wehrenberg
10-31-2009, 07:06 AM
Welcome to the asylum David. I guess it was inevitable that we would add a Bluebird to the Newells on this site. Despite that, you are still welcome here and are encouraged to dish it out because it is only a question of time before one of the misfits on this site dumps on you. Your only protection actually is if you are familiar with the Acme company and own a sheep farm.

Don't take any abuse from Truk about your Bluebird not being a bus. I happen to think it is a fine Skoolie. Once the rock slide is gone maybe we could get together and insult one another's current ride of choice. We live just over the hill.

You are so close to where a number of us live that the redneck contingent will include you in future events if you choose to associate with us. This group includes among others Truk, Jamie, the King, our very own POG band, Bob 08, and another Knoxvillian John B. who we've not met. The only thing this group takes serious is eating and fun so don't be shy, post your thoughts here and take your lumps until you come over to the dark side and get a Prevost.

travelite
10-31-2009, 12:41 PM
Thanks again for the warm welcome and the kind hospitality to a wannabe.

Jon, having been a bus owner for a while, I'm pretty familiar with the various debates: 8V vs S60 envy, slide vs no-slide, rivets vs smooth look, OTR, etc. Liberty domination and sheep fascination are new. (Pardon me if I missed anyone's favorite topic) LOL :)

Rest assured, we got the same stuff going on over at the Wanderlodge Owners Group! :)

What I really want is 2 buses. (Gonna take some convincing of my better half). Us Wanderlodge owners are arguably the most loyal bunch out there. I don't see myself unloading the LXi, but maybe adding a Prevost. Then I can decide which stays and which goes, if any.

Thanks for the invite to the various rally's and get-to-gethers. I think a NC Mini-Rally is a great idea. I look forward to attending. With the house filled with little children, I may just bachelor it!

David Brady
'02 Blue Bird, LXi,
Asheville, NC

Jon Wehrenberg
10-31-2009, 02:41 PM
Oh, one other thing David,

You can spread the word to other Bluebird owners (listen up there Newell owners, also) that is really is OK to wave and give a smile to Prevost owners. We don't bite, our drivelines are almost the same, we all drive rigs of smilar size and weight, and we all like good quality stuff. We'll wave back or at you depending on who sees who first.

We aren't all stuck up. Just some of us.

michaeldterry
10-31-2009, 03:11 PM
Welcome David! You'll do just fine here if you follow the two most important rules:

Don't take yourself or anyone else on POG too seriously.
Have fun!

travelite
10-31-2009, 03:28 PM
You can spread the word to other Bluebird owners (listen up there Newell owners, also) that is really is OK to wave and give a smile to Prevost owners..

Copy that! On my annual pilgrimage to California, my first stop is Prevost Car in Nashville Tn. I don't hesitate to introduce myself to anyone having service done, and I've met the finest folks there. Very helpful, entertaining, and firmly planted people. I say hi whenever I can; I'll spread the word. :)

David Brady
'02 Blue Bird Wanderlodge, LXi
Asheville, NC

rickdesilva
10-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Dave
Welcome to group. I had 2 Birds before my Prevost. A Forward Control coach and a '92 Widebody. Its hard to beat the fit and finish and amenities in the Bird but there is nothing like driving a Prevost. I loved my Birds and thought that nothing could compare...until I drove a Prevost. Since it appears that Parliament purchased the intellectual DNA of Bluebird , there may be a bond here. Welcome to the group but be prepared to suffer the abuse of owning a non-canadian bus.

Jon Wehrenberg
10-31-2009, 05:32 PM
What? You mean I'm driving a foreign bus???

rickdesilva
10-31-2009, 06:47 PM
The politically correct phrase is "International Nameplate Vehicle"

edsaylor
10-31-2009, 06:54 PM
Rick: You might have steped in it, now!!!:D

Will Garner
10-31-2009, 07:39 PM
David,

Don't know if you have been to Prevost in their new facility. They moved to Goodlettsville, TN. Finding their driveway is a pain. If you miss it you wind up in storage/warehouse hell. Not too easy to get turned around.

You won't see a Prevost sign because of where the good fathers on the City Council allowed Prevost to place it. It is not illuminated and is only about 3-4' tall! Oh yeah the sign is placed diagonally to the street and has Prevost proudly displayed on one side only. It's also hidden behind a row of scrub/volunteer vegatation that the City Fathers won't manage so the sign can be seen. They toss that one to TennDOT, the ones without the propellers! If you miss the dirveway going in a right turn coming back out of storage/warehouse hell is impossible. You have to go back to the Commercial Food Distribution parking lot beside Hardee's. I was towing a full size pick up and there was just enough room to make the U-turn to get out of the parking lot.

Anyway, Prevost's driveway is the concrete on the left where the access road veers away from the I-65 fence.

Oh yeah, Happy Holloween!:D

travelite
10-31-2009, 08:18 PM
Since it appears that Parliament purchased the intellectual DNA of Prevost , there may be a bond here.

Rick,

Thanks for the welcome. It's great to hear so many former Wanderlodge owners speak up. The IP was bought by Parliament, but the Factory and real estate along with all the heavy equipment, lifts, paint booth, etc, were bought by Karl Moberg (sp?). Word is that Karl wants to build an over-the-road, long distance passenger coach at the factory. Apparently the design and engineering are finished, all that's required is to configure and staff the factory.

David Brady
'02 Blue Bird, Wanderlodge, LXi
Asheville, NC

sawdust_128
10-31-2009, 08:36 PM
Us Wanderlodge owners are arguably the most loyal bunch out there.

David Brady
'02 Blue Bird, LXi,
Asheville, NC

And That's How the Fight Began!!

Now you've done it.

travelite
10-31-2009, 10:13 PM
Don't know if you have been to Prevost in their new facility. They moved to Goodlettsville, TN. Finding their driveway is a pain. If you miss it you wind up in storage/warehouse hell. Not too easy to get turned around.

Will, thanks for the heads-up. Pending the rock slide getting fixed, I don't know when I'll be back that way, but I'll be sure to have very good directions when I go.

David Brady
'02 Blue Bird, Wanderlodge, LXi,
Asheville, NC

Will Garner
11-01-2009, 08:49 AM
David,

The new address is 800 South Cartwright Street. If you Google that address nothing shows up. I was told to use 500 South Cartwright Street on Google and it does show up. Just one of the problems associated with their new address. They are north of I-40 off I-65 at Exit 97.

merle&louise
11-01-2009, 10:02 AM
Oh, one other thing David,

You can spread the word to other Bluebird owners (listen up there Newell owners, also) that is really is OK to wave and give a smile to Prevost owners. We don't bite, our drivelines are almost the same, we all drive rigs of smilar size and weight, and we all like good quality stuff. We'll wave back or at you depending on who sees who first.

We aren't all stuck up. Just some of us.

Hey Reagan I think he's talking to us!:D

I wave to Prevosts, but they just wave back using one finger!:eek: What's up with that?

Welcome to the POG forum David. Glad to have you aboard. Does your BB have a series 60? If so, you will learn a great deal from these guys. Try to attend a rally; in addition to meeting some great folks the seminars are first rate.

We like the Lake Toxaway & Highlands area of North Carolina. When you guys have a mini rally let us know. I love that Carolina BarBQue & the Smokie Mnts.

sawdust_128
11-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Well stop waving with one finger on each hand. Keep your hands on the wheel. :p

Jon Wehrenberg
11-01-2009, 12:25 PM
Hey Reagan I think he's talking to us!:D

I wave to Prevosts, but they just wave back using one finger!:eek: What's up with that?

Welcome to the POG forum David. Glad to have you aboard. Does your BB have a series 60? If so, you will learn a great deal from these guys. Try to attend a rally; in addition to meeting some great folks the seminars are first rate.

We like the Lake Toxaway & Highlands area of North Carolina. When you guys have a mini rally let us know. I love that Carolina BarBQue & the Smokie Mnts.

Are you kidding? Reagan is one of the good guys. And he did a fine job when he was president.

Besides, that Newell Coach (Newell is a coach and Prevost is a bus according to Newell owners) he has is a sweetheart.

merle&louise
11-01-2009, 02:53 PM
What is the name of that outfit in Stuart, FL?

Liberty what????

Jon Wehrenberg
11-01-2009, 03:14 PM
I think it is Liberty Bus. :rolleyes:

I was just repeating what I was told by a Newell owner. He had never been in a Prevost, never driven one, and was lecturing me on the fact that he had a coach and I had a bus.

Whatever.

travelite
11-01-2009, 06:04 PM
Does your BB have a series 60? If so, you will learn a great deal from these guys. Try to attend a rally; in addition to meeting some great folks the seminars are first rate.

Hi Tuga,

Thanks for the welcome. Yes my BB does have the S60 and the Allison HD4060 6 speed transmission.

We travel coast to coast in it. Having lived in California for 11 years, I still do business out there and have friends to visit. In a perfect world I'd have a short bus for state and federal parks and to tool around in on the East coast and a long bus for coast to coast trips. I'd like to find a slide-less 40 ft Prevost. Although my wife pretty much requires one slide, we have that in our BB. A 40 ft Prevost with bunks would be the ticket. Anyone have any leads?

-----------------------cut here-------------------

After reading what I wrote above, I can't help thinking I'm nuts! Who in the world can manage to maintain two of these things. LOL

David Brady
Asheville, NC

Kevin Erion
11-01-2009, 07:29 PM
David,
We have a 45 XLII Marathon with 2 bunks, non-slide, works great! We do 1 or 2 west to east trips every year and with 3 girls and the wife, we have a great time! I am on my second Marathon and I love the design, fit & finish and support, I am sure my next bus will be a Marathon!

merle&louise
11-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Jon,

That Newell owner was right; you do have a bus - a very nice bus!:D

David,

I agree; maintaining 2 buses would be rough. All I can say is keep your wife happy - cause when Mama ain't happy - nobody's happy! You know slides are nice but so is a nimble 40'. Decisions decisions!

travelite
11-02-2009, 12:12 AM
David,
We have a 45 XLII Marathon with 2 bunks, non-slide, works great! We do 1 or 2 west to east trips every year and with 3 girls and the wife, we have a great time! I am on my second Marathon and I love the design, fit & finish and support, I am sure my next bus will be a Marathon!

Kevin,

That's great to hear. Did the bus come from Marathon already equipped with bunks or did you add them?

David Brady
Asheville, NC

Kevin Erion
11-02-2009, 08:46 AM
David, Marathon builds a bunk bed floor plan as one of there standard models. They only made 4 XLII non slide bunk bed buses, I was in big trouble because I had to have one. I looked at 3 of them and this one worked out best from colors to cost.

Loc
11-02-2009, 09:00 AM
David,

Panterra Coach has a 2001 Royale XLII non-slide with three bunks on its website (it is also on the Prevost-stuff website). Many of the Millenniums are designed with the bath, sink and toilet on one side with a large closet opposite that can be converted to bunks. Our Millennium was built with bunks and I was happy to find it. I had looked at two Marathon bunk coaches. The bunk coaches exist but they are rare. The 40 footers are even more rare. AJ (a POG member) had a 40 Marathon with bunks.

Good luck