PDA

View Full Version : This Will Smart-Bus Sold Cheap

LarryB
10-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Just heard from a salesperson at Guaranty in Eugene,OR. that they had a '98 Liberty 40' on the lot for one day and sold it for $77,000. [They always say this] it is reported that it was very nice and seemed in great condition.

Seems to me that is a real low ball price.

Coloradobus
10-30-2009, 02:21 PM
What did this purchaser trade in. Maybe the difference between a trade and the Liberty was the $77,000. They are not known for cutting good deals from our dealings with them..

They have also have a 1994 Liberty 40ft they have had for well over a year. Only recently have they lowered the price to something that resembles reasonable.
We tried for a 1996 40ft Marathon last summer, but they wanted in the neighbourhood of $279K for it..They wanted our 2000 Marathon H plus $50,000.????? This didn't make sense. This Marathon Coach was Coach 442, and they took it in on trade, selling the owner an Alpine Coach, which in less than a year he re-traded for 2001 Country Coach Affinity 2 slide 40ft. I spoke to the Marathon owner after they bought the CC and he wished they had never traded the Marathon. Guaranty woudn't cut them a deal to buy back their old Marathon after the Alpine ended up being less than what they had expected.

http://www.guarantyrv.com/inventory?stock_type=2&make=PREVOST&model=&class=&price_range=&miles_range=&length_range=&engine_fuel=&stock_number=&go=Search+Inventory

Jon Wehrenberg
10-30-2009, 02:32 PM
Until the market for coaches stabilizes pricewise, and until the lending institutions and borrowers in some fashion come to terms with the amount owed on a coach exceeding its market value there are going to be once in a lifetime bargains popping up.

An owner that is in financial trouble is likely going to give up or lose the coach, and the bank or lending institution will want to get its cash out of it. If the owner has offered personal guarantees or the bank has some recourse against the owner, they could care less what the coach goes for, because if the selling price falls short, the borrower is on the hook for the balance.

While the selling price of some coaches is really low, a buyer of a coach like that is not likely to end up with a pristine trouble free coach. I would guess that some of those coaches are going to take some time and money to put them back into good shape.

LarryB
10-31-2009, 12:57 PM
Well as Paul Harvey used to say "Now for the rest of the story". Same sales guy called today to say that he sent the sales info including price on his iPhone and "it" droped the 1. So I guess the '98 Liberty 40' sold for $177,000. not $77,000.

Makes me feel better, Not a great sale price but better. Good for the buyer--maybe.