PDA

View Full Version : What do you recommend

grantracy
10-26-2009, 08:50 AM
I researched previous threads and could not find a discussion regarding the preferred tow bar set up. Any advice or pros and cons of various systems? We will be towing a Chevy pick up

phorner
10-26-2009, 09:29 AM
Granvil,

We have been using a Blue Ox tow bar and base plate to tow our Jeep Liberty for many years. I have been happy with both the product as well as product support from the manufacturer.

I did trade up from a 5,000# rated bar to a 10,000# bar 3 or 4 years ago since the weight of the loaded Jeep was getting close to 90% of the rated capacity and I wanted more of a margin of safety.

I haven't heard many complaints about any of the major manufacturers.

JIM KELLER
10-26-2009, 09:46 AM
Will this be attached to the Bike Rack on the back of your Bus ?

michaeldterry
10-26-2009, 09:57 AM
We really like our Blue Ox setup, combined with wireless tow lights!

Alek&Lucia
10-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Hi,

We are towing full size Chevy van, and before full size conversion van.
Our setup: Roadmaster Sterling towbar with Roadmaster base plate,

Alek

grantracy
10-26-2009, 10:13 AM
Will this be attached to the Bike Rack on the back of your Bus ?

No, I am going to ditch the bike lift and carry bikes in back of truck, which begs another question any recommendations on bike lifts for truck beds? I am thinking of getting the TK Loader.

JIM KELLER
10-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Truk and I did a lot of research on this topic. We both wanted to do what you are talking about. It makes the most sense. Never came up with the perfect combination. The Chevrolet trucks while easier to tow allowed the bikes to sit up higher above the roof line. Ford's bed was more compatable but harder to find the right configuration for towing. Rampage was the Lift of choice but if you we wanted to close the tailgate with the bikes in the bed it had to be a 8 foot bed and the tailgate had to come off when loading and unloading. The 6 foot bed was the most user friendly but you had to loose the tailgate and other stuff in the bed could slide out. I think a half ton truck does not have enough gvwr. A 3/4 ton is better but sits up higher [ 4 wheel drive ] and the loading angle is increased. A 1 ton is best but how much weight do you want to drag behind you !

I became frustrated and gave up. Let me know what you decide and maybe I will follow.

Coloradobus
10-26-2009, 01:55 PM
One of our Towcars is an 2004 Chevy 4X4 K-2500 shortbox extended cab Duramax. We use the Blue OX Baseplate (BX1650) with fixed tabs, not the removeable ones, and the Aventa II towbar with no complaints.

THIS IS AN AD FROM EBAY WE HAVE HAD LUCK WITH ORDERING. THEY ARE VERY NICE AND PROMPT.

late Bracket for Tow Bar RV Part Any Model
Standard, Removable or Duncan Style w / FREE SHIPPIng

Price: US $385.00 Buy It NowBuy It NowBuy It Now

You can also: Watch this item
Now watching in My eBay Now watching in My eBay

Coverage: Pay with and your full purchase price is covered | See terms

Shipping: FREE shipping UPS GroundSee more services See discounts | See all details
Estimated delivery time varies. UPS delivers within 1-6 days after seller ships item

New in Box with Full Manufacture's Warranty.

Blue Ox Tow Bar Brackets, "ANY MODEL / STYLE"!!

Due to varying requirements among vehicle manufactures, customers are urged and are responsible to verify that their particular vehicle model is represented as towable by its manufacture. You can view a fit list bracket guide at blueox.us

Auction is for "ANY" model of Blue Ox Tow Bar Brackets:

S = Standard Tabs
R = Ramovable Tabs
D = Duncan Bracket Kit
"YOU MUST MENTION" Your choice or we cannot ship. Model # should be put in the note/message line when payment is sent.

Please call us toll free with any Questions (866)774-3450.

Sorry. We DO NOT Ship to Alaska, Canada, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico.

Thank You!

grantracy
10-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Sounds like Blue Ox is preferred.

truk4u
10-26-2009, 08:09 PM
Gran,

I just bought a Blue Ox Aventa (Paul made me do it) from this company in TN through e-bay for 524.99, shipping included and delivered in two days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RV-Tow-Bar-Blue-Ox-Aventa-LX-w-safety-cables-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ140271765827QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotor s_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories?hash=item20a 8d94943

Ray Davis
10-26-2009, 08:19 PM
I've used both, and as I understand it, the major difference is the base plate attached to your tow vehicle.

On the RoadMaster system, the tow base plate is generally two smaller pieces, which attach left/right on the front of your vehicle. There is nothing between the two to stabilize them. However, there is a large cross-bar stabilizer as part of the tow bar itself.

On the Blue Ox system, the cross-stabilizer is part of the base-plate mounting on the tow vehicle. So, the base-plate is larger and generally more expensive on a Blue OX. The up side there is that there is no large/heavy cross bar as part of the tow bar itself.

Both seem to work really well. I sorta like the Blue Ox connectors better, but that's just a personal opinion.

Ray

ps: Note, on a Roadmaster system, the large cross-bar is removable separately from the tow bar for storage or transport.

Kevin Erion
10-26-2009, 10:38 PM
If I remember correctly, on my GMC I don't need the cross over support. Anyway, I don't use it and I better ck the instructions, works fine without, so far!

HarborBus
10-26-2009, 10:50 PM
For some vehicles the RoadMaster brackets come in two configurations, XL" and the "MX", the XL requires the cross bar and the MX does not.

Larry W
10-26-2009, 11:43 PM
I am on my second Roadmaster. Wondered why I replaced a tow bar and then summer some friends traveling across KS had a Roadmaster Sterling break. The tow bar broke at the swivel point. Short of the story the break away cable was too long so the brakes did not set untill the safety cables broke. The toad rolled (totaled) and the coach ended up off the road doing some damage which took 3 months to fix. Is there a time limit on tow bars like our tires????? The broken tow bar was 7 years old.

HarborBus
10-27-2009, 12:06 AM
No doubt that there have been substantial improvements on all the towing systems in the last 7 years. But it is more likely owner neglect of the tow bar and its service. They are mechanical devices under substantial load and stress, some more than others depending on where and how it is used. I know that Roadmaster recommends the tow bar be serviced periodically. I don't know the exact interval of recommended service but Roadmaster does it free. I stop in Portland on my way home every couple years and have my Sterling serviced. They replace anything and everything that is worn or out of spec right down to replacing the bar itself if they deem it unsafe. And believe me they always error on the side of caution if there is any doubt, as it is huge liability to them if they send someone down the road with a faulty tow bar.

Coloradobus
10-27-2009, 12:32 AM
Altho, a bit remote, Blue Ox also re-tunes any towbar brought to them for free. At least the last time we were there is was free. 2006

Loc
10-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Granvil,

I have destroyed two Blue Ox Aventa II towbars towing my Jeep Wrangler. I destroyed the Aventas because of a poorly designed base plate on the Jeep. I literally bent the arms on the tow bar twice. I am sure they have changed the design by now, but I got tired of dealing with the base plate and finally welded it to the Jeep. The Jeep grew bigger tires and a lift and wasn't a good tow vehicle. I switched to towing my Tahoe 4x4. When I started towing the Tahoe I switched to a Blackhawk II All Terrain towbar from Roadmaster that has a 10,000 lb limit for my Tahoe at the recommendation of my welder / tow bar vendor. I have towed the Tahoe for four years with the Blackhawk with no issues. I also have the M&G brake system on the Tahoe. It is attached at the master cylinder and all you have to do is hook up an air line to the back of the bus - none of this put something on the floor and hook it to the brake pedal. The Blackhawk looks and feels more substantial than the Aventa II. My only complaint with the Blackhawk is that it doesn't lock the arms in the recoiled position when not in use.

phorner
10-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Gran,

I just bought a Blue Ox Aventa (Paul made me do it) from this company in TN through e-bay for 524.99, shipping included and delivered in two days.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RV-Tow-Bar-Blue-Ox-Aventa-LX-w-safety-cables-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ140271765827QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotor s_RV_Trailer_Camper_Parts_Accessories?hash=item20a 8d94943

You're welcome :D:D