PDA

View Full Version : Rain leak test

gmcbuffalo
10-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Again no pictures but I had CAmping World do leak test on the coach. They attach a fan to your ceiling vent and pull air into the coach. They then spray all the seams roof and side walls with a soapy solution. I had a leak in the windowshield between the rubber seal and the frame. Another where the awning arm attaches to the side metal and one more in the overlapping metal sheets for the side of the coach. Took pictures but again can't attach them.
GregM

Ray Davis
10-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Greg, send me the pictures via email and I'd be happy to attach.

Ray

gmcbuffalo
10-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks Ray, but what problem I'm having. I've tried the insert image buttom, and the manage attachments.
GregM

michaeldterry
10-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Again no pictures but I had CAmping World do leak test on the coach. They attach a fan to your ceiling vent and pull air into the coach. They then spray all the seams roof and side walls with a soapy solution.

Greg - during our trip to the north Georgia mountains last week, it rained heavily all day and all night Friday. We woke Saturday morning to discover that the fabric on the window sills in the bedroom and adjacent to the buddy seat in front was pretty well saturated with water. However, we could not find evidence of where the water had come in from. If you don't mind me asking, what did Camping World charge to leak test your coach? Were you satisfied with the process and the results? If your experience was positive, it seems that I probably should have Evangeline tested at Camping World to find out where the water is coming in before my window sills get ruined!

dale farley
10-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Greg,

I hope you can upload the pictures or email them to someone else who can. I would really like to see this process.

rahangman
10-25-2009, 05:57 PM
Likewise on my bedroom windows on the leaking. I had the air pressure test done in Mich when we bought the bus. Fixed couple minor marker light leaks ok. This last month heavy rains here in NW Arkansas and found window sills in BR with water standing. Found that on outside frame of window there are 2 little slots to allow for rain/water to flow down and away from window, but the tracks for the window were so full of dirt (probably never cleaned) water would not "flow" but did dissipate over time,hence holding water and allowing to build up. I loosened the inside screws to the jam of the window, using fine wire & brush with mild soap, got crud out of the window track and put everything back tight. I did not pull the inside frame completely off, water tested with hose and then Mother Nature had a hand and 2 more days of heavy constant rain, and walla no water inside!!! Now I am going around the bus with tooth brush and fine wires looking for little troughs with water run of slots. Gotta keep water out

gmcbuffalo
10-26-2009, 02:58 AM
It's free if you purchase over a $100 of stuff otherwise it is $99. I also did see some bubbles around the glass edges of awning windows. Plugged drain holes would be sure reason for water spilling inside.
GregM

Ray Davis
10-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Greg sent me these pictures. I'm posting for him ...

These are the first five ....

Ray Davis
10-26-2009, 10:55 AM
And the remaining pics ....

GDeen
10-26-2009, 01:25 PM
So how did you repair your leaks Greg?

gmcbuffalo
11-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Gordon I on the windows i will lift the rubber and squirt in some silicone, on the awning support I will take them off and put silicone in the holes and reattach the supports. The one on the side wall seams I don't know yet.

Thanks Ray for posting, looks like I took the shots before the camera could focus, so much for auto focus.

GregM

CAPT MOGUL & Sandy
11-06-2009, 06:01 PM
We had a leak at one of the hinged windows and had water standing on the sill. I did a temporary fix, replaced the gasket at the top of the window with foam sticky back stuff from ACE HDWR. Still no leaks after a year. What a temp job. The only problem was removing the old cement. I used MEK, Acetone and some other stuff but none was real good.
Repaired and installed my DAMN PLASTIC SHIELD after our trip, around 7000 mi after OKC. My 12 year old bus had no dings before the trip and now it looks like someone took target practice at us. LOVE THEM DAMN PLACTIC SHIELDS.
Ed & Sandy

LarryB
11-07-2009, 12:28 AM
Capt, you are not drinking the Kool-Aid. Don't realize that the Lexan shields are stupid and it is a badge of honor to have a bus with the front beat to hell--got to love those rock dings and paint chips.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-09-2009, 09:11 AM
I presume you plastic shield owners still have the plastic on the carpet and that you've gone out and bought plastic covers for the sofa.

This is just an idea, but has anyone considered that if you don't tailgate you won't get dings? At 62.5 mph I am not going fast enough for anything to dent my front of the bus.

JIM KELLER
11-09-2009, 10:04 AM
We had a leak at one of the hinged windows and had water standing on the sill. I did a temporary fix, replaced the gasket at the top of the window with foam sticky back stuff from ACE HDWR. Still no leaks after a year. What a temp job. The only problem was removing the old cement. I used MEK, Acetone and some other stuff but none was real good.
Repaired and installed my DAMN PLASTIC SHIELD after our trip, around 7000 mi after OKC. My 12 year old bus had no dings before the trip and now it looks like someone took target practice at us. LOVE THEM DAMN PLACTIC SHIELDS.
Ed & Sandy

Ed, I'm with ya. I would cancel a trip before I would drive without my Plastic Shield !

truk4u
11-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Jon, Jon, Jon, you know your going to get those dents when the dump truck passes you going the speed limit, gets back in the J B Hunt lane right in front of you, hits a tiny bump and all the crap starts falling off that rigid suspension pelting your bus with buckshot.:eek:

Good grief man, at least get a bra....;)

Jon Wehrenberg
11-09-2009, 09:07 PM
I have a bra, rolled up out of reach on a high shelf in my garage. Di has instructions to shoot me if in a weak moment I feel compelled to put it on the coach.

Using bras, plastic shields, plastic on the floor, etc. is the Prevost equivalent of sticking the tire covers on the tires when the bus is parked to prevent it from getting UV or something on the tires. So how come the tires crack and dry rot on the back side that never sees any sunlight?

Who cares if the coach has a ding or two. If anyone wants to keep it perfect, the best thing to do is keep it in the garage.

garyde
11-09-2009, 11:44 PM
I use my Liberty 'Bra' when traveling. It saves the front from untold dings, no doubt. I had a plastic shield on my last Country Coach. I took it off, too big , and hard to keep clean. But I understand its very useful in the summer months in the South with all the bugs and such.
I once heard something to the effect shields and such were like wearing socks in the shower. Great image but not sure it fits.

JIM KELLER
11-10-2009, 07:20 AM
Ahh yes, The plastic shield of reality.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-10-2009, 07:43 AM
Hey Jim,

The reality is the plastic shield is ugly 100% of the time, the bra is only ugly when it is being used.

It is my opinion, obviously not shared by others, that my dents, dings and paint chips still are less ugly than either the bra or plastic shield.

That's my reality.

garyde
11-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Another great saying attributed to Winston Churchill in responding to Lady Astor,
Paraphrasing: "Yes, madam, I am drunk, but you are ugly, and tomorrow I will be sober"
Maybe it's best to have the shield or Bra for the short time its needed rather than deal with long term dents and scratches.:D

Jon Wehrenberg
11-11-2009, 07:31 AM
A reasonable suggestion Gary, but we all see that almost every motorhome equipped with a plastic shield or bra has them in place, even when in an RV park.

JIM KELLER
11-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Jon Jon Jon,

Gary, Eloquent ! Just like that cigar you gave me. Thanks.

Jon, Good, but no cigar.

Jon Wehrenberg
11-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Jimbo.........Gary nailed it but overlooked one tiny little detail. Yes the ugly shields and bras tend to prevent some dings, but the bras wear the paint, and if left in place may actually cause it to pop off. The shields offer better protection, but still have to be cleaned, and then the bus also has to be cleaned doubling the workload, and they still look less than attractive.

But the bottom line is that if a shield or a bra is added to the coach the coach front end is being damaged far more than from a few stone dings with the holes that are being drilled in that beautiful bus. An alternative that gained some short term popularity was a supposedly clear plasticized coating that would protect the front. That aged poorly and really looked bad after a while.

In the case of chips and dings there is no silver bullet. I recently saw an ad for a roll of plastic with a sticky back intended to be applied, and then thrown away upon reaching the destination. It was intended to offer some protection, and because it is a throw away material I can see the benefit of not having to fight to get bugs off, and the possible protection it offers, but it is also ugly.

The real answer is to drive slow, don't tailgate, avoid two lane roads, and don't let anyone pass. Works for me.

rfoster
11-11-2009, 08:39 AM
Jon: So now we know why you leave at Dark O'thirty.

No shield.

I am getting a shield so I can sleep at night.

truk4u
11-11-2009, 08:41 AM
Yes the ugly shields and bras tend to prevent some dings, but the bras wear the paint, and if left in place may actually cause it to pop off.

My bra has a nice cushy soft backing, kind of like A-1's winter underwear that will absolutely not harm the paint!

JIM KELLER
11-11-2009, 09:27 AM
I love the " Plastic Shield " conversations we have. Keeps us all close together !

dale farley
11-11-2009, 09:49 AM
I guess I must have the perfect compromise to the shield dilemma. I have the mounting brackets that hold the acrylic shield, but I don't actually have the shield. I can always boast that my bus is rigged for the shield, but Jon never has to see it.